Ever since I was little, I’ve had an affinity for cornbread. There’s something so comforting about a thick piece of cornbread served with a hearty bowl of veggie chili, or simply all by itself as a snack.
But I’m not talking about the dry, gritty cornbread variety. You know the kind that’s often sold at the grocery store that’s probably been sitting out for too long? Yeah, I’ll pass on that. I like mine to be light and almost cake-like, with a hint of sweetness and a little buttery spread and honey. Or, depending on my mood, a lot of honey. Although, the honey could easily be swapped out for pure maple syrup or a little agave to make this 100% vegan.
This recipe is super simple (you probably have all of the ingredients on hand), vegan, and has a great dense cake-like texture. It takes less than 30 minutes to come together and could easily be used as a base for fun add-ins, like fresh corn, jalapeño peppers, or maybe even pumpkin.
And in case you’re wondering which side of the pumpkin debate I’m on – I plan on cleaning out Trader Joe’s shelves just as soon as they start carrying it.
But back to that cornbread…
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flax, 6 Tbs water)
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose would also work)
- 1 C finely ground cornmeal
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- ¾ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ C maple syrup (I used a maple/agave blend)
- 1 C almond milk (soy milk would also work)
- ¼ C melted coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ground flax seeds and water to make 'flax eggs'. Stir and set aside for a couple of minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the 'flax eggs', maple syrup, and almond milk, to the dry ingredients. Beat just until smooth (do not over-mix).
- Slowly pour in the melted coconut oil while you mix to keep it from turning into a solid and clumping.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, cut into pieces, and serve!