TGIF Pumpkin Spice Donuts

October 28, 2011

in Cupcakes & Cakes, Other Desserts, Pumpkin

pumpkin_spice_donut

This week has simultaneously been a whirlwind and felt like the longest week ever. I think part of the reason it felt so long was because I thought Wednesday was Thursday, and so waking up early today felt like a cruel prank. Also cruel? Boston reached a lovely high of 40 degrees yesterday, complete with icy rain and a dusting of SNOW last night. What the?!

flour_spices

I have what Aaron so delicately refers to as a “bullsh*t tolerance”, and once I meet that daily limit, nothing else will get done on my to-do list. Unless my to-do is “paint my nails”, which I do actually write down from time-to-time. It’s nice to have something other than “clean bathrooms” on the agenda.

messy_kitchen

So between the chaos that is my job and the completely miserable weather, I hit my limit yesterday around 3pm. I didn’t even want to “paint my nails”, as is evidenced by the fact that only half my fingers still have polish on them. But what I did want to do is bake a batch of vegan donuts, while also not cleaning the bathrooms.

powdered_sugar_donut

I’m a huge fan of Mama Pea, and her recipe for donuts is insanely good. I shared a few with my family a couple of months ago, and even though they constantly tell me to stop unloading my baked goods on them, they ask if I’ve made more donuts about once a week.

vegan_donuts

This time, I decided to play around with the recipe just a little and work in some seasonal flavors. I had a can of pumpkin staring me down from the pantry, much like how Honey stares down people on our walks. I was nervous to mess with a recipe that’s already so good, but fortunately, adding the pumpkin turned out to be a very, very good idea.

pumpkin_donut

Pumpkin Spice Donuts (Vegan)
Recipe type: Dessert
Cook time:
Serves: 12

• 2 C. All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
  • 1 Tbs. Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • ¼ Tsp. Salt
  • ⅔ C. Pumpkin Puree
  • ¾ C. Almond Milk
  • ¼ C. Granulated Sugar
  • ¼ C. Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbs. Earth Balance (or other vegan buttery spread)
  • 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla
  • Powdered Sugar for dusting (optional)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease a donut pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
  4. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, almond milk, white and brown sugars, melted Earth Balance, and vanilla.
  5. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
  6. Spoon or pipe batter into greased donut pan.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until donuts are golden brown and firm to the touch.
  8. Dust with powdered sugar if you like!
I used a donut pan from Crate & Barrel, and this recipe made about 12 small donuts. However, donut pans can vary a lot in size, so donut yield will likely vary. You may need to adjust your baking time accordingly. No donut pan? No problem! You can use the batter to make delicious pumpkin spice muffins. If you want, you can also add a little pumpkin pie spice to your powdered sugar for dusting. I'd recommend a ratio of ½ C. powdered sugar and ½ Tsp. pumpkin pie spice.

stack_donuts

Happy Friday!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Great…now I need a donuts pan. ;)

These look insanely wonderful. And vegan…all the better. Can you ship me some?

Amanda October 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I highly recommend a donut pan. I think it was under $15 at Crate & Barrel (it’s the larger size one, but they have a mini donut pan too). I get a surprising amount of use out of it. :)

Jenn October 28, 2011 at 11:51 pm

This looks like such a great recipe! I would have made them immediately but I don’t have a donut pan!!!

I wonder if using a mini muffin pan and making donut holes would work??

Amanda October 29, 2011 at 12:05 am

That might work, or you could even just make muffins and dust them with powdered sugar. Equally delicious!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 29, 2011 at 12:36 am

Wow these look…amazing!

I just pinned these to my Donut Board…that way not only will others see it but I can remember that I need to make these in my brand new donut pan!

Ironically I just bought ingredients TODAY for another donut recipe I had been eyeing…and now I see your glorious creation. Yum!

Amanda October 29, 2011 at 12:41 am

Looks like you’ll need to break in your new pan with two donut recipes! You can never have enough donuts. :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 29, 2011 at 3:42 am

I just found your blog and I think I’ll be a regular! I love it! Your pictures are truly stunning, and I think you may have convinced me to buy a donut pan.

Amanda October 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Thanks so much, Kelly! And get the donut pan. :)

Emily October 29, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oh my word. This has to be one of the best looking pumpkin recipes I’ve come across in a long time. They look phenomenal- and vegan?! An added bonus because it means I don’t have to alter the recipe one bit.
I definitely need to invest in a donut pan asap but, until then, I’ll be making these as muffins. Thank you for another amazing recipe!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog October 30, 2011 at 1:37 am

The donuts looks incredible! All I need now is a donut pan. I need to get one asap! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com October 31, 2011 at 5:07 am

OMG!!! These are FABULOUS!!!! Can I please, please, please come over for some??? I wanna make these right now!!!! YUM

xxoo

Ann W October 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hi Amanda,

This sounds awesome! Can’t wait to try it. I have a slight cold, so it”s tea and soups today, but as soon as I am better this sounds great!

We got 20 inches!!!! Oy vey! It’s way too soon.

Warmly,
Ann

Amanda October 31, 2011 at 4:19 pm

20 inches?!?! INSANE.

Kelly January 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

These look amazing! Thank you!

Amanda January 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks, Kelly! Just checked out your blog – your photography is gorgeous!!

Kelly January 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, Amanda! Appreciated greatly!