Chewy Chocolate Chip Fig Cookies

November 4, 2011

in Cookies & Bars

vegan_chocolate_chip_cookie

By far, my favorite kind of cookie is one that’s slightly crispy on the outside and a little gooey on the inside. It should be chewy, not crunchy, and loaded with chocolate chips.

cookie_dough

Unfortunately, it can be a challenge to create the perfect chewy texture when you don’t use butter and eggs. However, if at first you don’t succeed…

fig_butter

Try a little fig butter.

I’ve had an almost full jar of TJ’s fig butter in my fridge for a couple of weeks, and it occurred to me that the combination of chocolate and figs could be delicious. Don’t get me wrong – pumpkin butter would be outstanding in this recipe, but I wanted to try something slightly off the beaten path.

cookie_dough_balls

The fig butter doesn’t lend a very noticeable flavor to the cookies, but it creates the best texture in a vegan cookie I’ve made to date. So, if you’re looking for a no-one-will-ever-know-this-is-vegan cookie, this is the one.

chewy_chocolate_chip_cookie

Chewy Chocolate Chip Fig Cookies (Vegan)
Recipe type: Cookies
Cook time:
Serves: 32 cookies

• ½ C. Earth Balance, melted
  • ½ C. Brown Sugar
  • ½ C. Granulated Sugar
  • 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbs. ground flax, 3 Tbs. water)
  • 1 Tsp. Vanilla
  • ½ C. Fig Butter (or Pumpkin Butter*)
  • 2 C. All-Purpose Flour
  • ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
  • ¼ Tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 C. Vegan Chocolate Chips (I used TJs brand)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Prepare flax egg by combining 1 Tbs. ground flax with 3 Tbs. water. Allow to set for 3-5 minutes until it has a gel-like consistency (similar to an egg).
  3. In a large bowl, mix melted Earth Balance and sugars until combined. Add flax egg, vanilla, and fig butter and mix until smooth.
  4. Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt and mix to combine. Batter will be very dry and crumbly at first.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes, then spoon using a cookie dough scoop or heaping tablespoon onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1-2 inches apart.
  7. Use a spatula to flatten dough balls slightly.
  8. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden around the edges.
  9. Allow to cool completely for optimal texture.
I used a KitchenAid stand mixer and recommend doing the same if you have one, as the batter is very thick. If you're using pumpkin butter instead of fig butter, just keep in mind that it contains honey. I'd also recommend adding a Tsp. or so of pumpkin pie spice to bring out the pumpkin flavor.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to take a walk with my co-worker. She’s been sleeping on the job.

honey

Co-worker? I think we all know I'm your boss.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I’m pretty sure I could subsist off of TJ’s different “butter” selections alone. I love that fig butter! These sound amazing. You’ve given me an idea for the honey apple one in my pantry :)

Amanda November 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Me too! I’m a little embarrassed to admit I’ve mostly been eating the pumpkin butter straight out of the jar. haha

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Oh wow. Figs and Chocolate, my 2 FAV things!! I swoon every single time i come to your blog!!! You make my day!!

xxoo

Amanda November 4, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Awww, thanks Kris! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 5, 2011 at 12:50 am

I have a full jar of fig butter, pumpkin butter, and of course PB…I love the looks of these.

Love to know about the texture and that the fig butter made them awesome. Usually “butters” of most kinds do that. Which is why I always add a dollop of PB to baked goods…even if you can’t taste it, the texture is vastly improved.

Great job on these!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl November 5, 2011 at 4:32 am

Anytime I spot raw cookie dough deliciousness on the mixer… makes me drool. LOL. They look delicious! And vegan all the better. Means its safe when I like the raw cookie dough out of the bowl. ;)

Amanda November 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Definitely one of the perks of vegan baking!

Lindsey @ Morningstar Project November 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Yummm! And the thought of using pumpkin butter sounds even more amazing!

Hannah at FleurDeLicious February 12, 2012 at 12:35 am

I want to let the world know how amazing these are. Got them in the mail this week from Kitchen Misfit’s bake sale, and they are incredible! I pop them in the microwave for about 6 seconds to pretend they just came out of the oven. The fig butter does wonders for these cookies…it inspires me to start using it!! Thank you Amanda for making and shipping these…they’re the first vegan baked good I have honestly thoroughly enjoyed, and would make again (lots of times)!!!

Amanda February 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, Hannah! That’s one of the nicest compliments I think I’ve received. And great idea to microwave them for a few seconds!

Meg February 19, 2012 at 5:46 am

Best cookies hands down…I did 1/4 c coconut oil and 1/4 c earth balance butter…thank you so much for the amazing recipe! Love your blog.

Amanda February 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! The addition of coconut oil sounds fantastic!