I have always loved the combination of chocolate and coconut. So, as a kid, I was surprised to learn that I seemed to be in the minority when it came to coveting the Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars after my friends and I would go trick-or-treating. Fortunately, this taste preference worked out pretty well for me, and I was thrilled to trade my many Starbursts and Sweet Tarts for chocolate-covered coconut.
This past Halloween, as I was walking home from the gym, a neighbor just happened to have a plastic pumpkin full of Almond Joy candy bars sitting on her stoop. I questioned for a moment whether it was wrong for me to take one (27 basically still qualifies me as a kid, right?), but ultimately I couldn’t resist my childhood favorite.
Since then, I’ve had that flavor combination on my mind, and this morning I set out to recreate it in the form of a smoothie. This did not disappoint.
- 1 C. Vanilla Almond Milk
- ½ Banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbs. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbs. Shredded Coconut (I used unsweetened), plus 1 Tsp. for garnish
- 1 Tbs. Almonds (I used sliced), plus 1 Tsp. for garnish
- 1 Tsp. Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 Tsp. Chia Seeds (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Mesquite Powder (optional)
- ½ Tsp. Almond Extract
- Stevia to taste
- Handful of Ice Cubes
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- If you’d like, put a little coconut oil around the rim of your glass and dip in shredded coconut.
- Top with remaining shredded coconut and sliced almonds.
If you really want to take your smoothie to the next level, drizzle a little chocolate syrup over top. Don’t worry – chocolate syrup is totally a breakfast food.