Veggie Galaxy Diner & Vegan Bakery

November 8, 2011

in Main Meals, Miscellaneous, Other Desserts

In celebration of my mom’s birthday this past Sunday, my family decided to continue on with our quest to try new vegetarian restaurants. My brother recommended we go to a place called Veggie Galaxy, which opened up in Central Square, Cambridge about two months ago. It’s similar to Pulse Cafe in that it also does vegetarian comfort food, but that’s (thankfully) where the similarities end.

When we first walked into Veggie Galaxy, I immediately loved the funky retro decor, complete with a rotating dessert case with freshly baked vegan cakes, pies, and puddings. I made a mental note to save plenty of room for dessert.

Their menu includes a heavy emphasis on breakfast foods, some of which are vegetarian (like omelets made with cage-free eggs) and others that are vegan (tofu scramble), as well as a large selection of sandwiches, salads, and sides (the mustard baked beans stood out).

Each of us ordered a different entree, including…

The Club:

vegan_club_sandwich

smoked tofu and tempeh bacon, balsamic roasted tomato, romaine, pickled red onion, and tarragon basil pesto on sourdough bread

The Kendall Square (with choice of homemade chipotle black bean or mushroom chickpea burger):

vegan_burger

roasted red pepper puree, beer battered onion rings, baby arugula, roasted garlic 'mayo'

Vegetable Pot Pie:

vegetable_pot_pie

roasted seasonal vegetables, smoked tofu, mushroom gravy, and tarragon basil pesto

Baked Mac & Cheese:

mac_and_cheese

house-made vegan cheese, basil, herbed panko crust, roasted eggplant, leeks and peas

The pictures don’t really do these dishes justice (blaming the fluorescent diner-style lighting!), but everything was delicious. It’s obvious that Veggie Galaxy pays close attention to the quality of their ingredients, and I loved that they combined them in interesting ways. Definitely much more involved than slicing some seitan and opening a bag of Daiya.

And then is was time for my favorite part…

vegan_chocolate_cake

vegan taza chocolate cake

Dessert!

vegan_lemon_meringue_pie

vegan lemon meringue pie. how do they do it?

I had been dreaming about their vegan Lemon Meringue pie from the moment I saw their menu. I’m a sucker for anything lemon, and was very interested in how they would create the meringue without egg whites. I’m still not exactly sure how they do it, but I know it involves soy and that they use agar in the filling. And whatever they do, it’s fantastic. Super lemony with a buttery-tasting graham cracker crust, and they even toast the ‘meringue’!

vegan_coconut_citrus_cake

vegan coconut citrus layer cake

We sampled a bunch of other desserts, including the Coconut Citrus, Taza Chocolate, and Sweet Potato Carrot cakes.

vegan_sweet_potato_carrot_cake

vegan sweet potato carrot cake. this is the stuff (my) dreams are made of.

…as well as a Boston Cream Pie that my dad absolutely loved. And yes, ordering this many desserts was quite the (sugar) rush!

vegan_boston_cream_pie

vegan boston cream pie

Not surprisingly, we left with lots of leftovers and happy bellies, and were excited to see that Veggie Galaxy was bustling with a mix of families, college students, and everyone in between.

This is simply good food – vegan or not, and definitely one of the best vegetarian/vegan dining experiences around Boston. I can’t wait to go back!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab November 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Everything looks delicious! I’m salivating :D
Mental note to myself: as soon as I’m in Boston (how many months till summer?), drag family to Veggie Galaxy!

Emily November 9, 2011 at 4:20 am

Oh my goodness. If I ever make it to Boston (which I plan to) I will definitely find my way to Veggie Galaxy. The food is beautiful and sounds absolutely delicious.
I’m glad you enjoyed it more than your last vegetarian restaurant experience! :)

Britt @ RunWithBritt November 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Oh.My.Gosh. Everything looks so amazing. It’s only 10:40 AM my time and I’m suddenly ravenous. I wish I could get my hands on that burger, it looks beautiful and so so good.

Amanda November 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm

The burger was so good! Perhaps the best veggie burger I’ve had at a restaurant?!

P.S. Good luck on your marathon this weekend!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh my goodness! The boyfriend and I have been DYING to go to Veggie Galaxy. This kind of makes me pee my pants with excitement.

Amanda November 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Definitely go! I’m hoping to try Life Alive next!

Ann W November 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Hi Amanda,

I spoke with your mother Sunday on her birthday! She enjoyed the restaurant, and raved most about your veggie burger, and the lemon meringue pie. When you go back, if they share the meringue secret, please let us all know. I have used 2 good egg substitues, one with applesauce and baking poweder, and the other is flax gel courtesy of your Mom, who got it from you! Still, I cannot imagine either of these working as meringue, though who knows. I am allergic to chocolate, and after 6 weeks without it, am no longer having cravings (yahoo). Like you, I have always loved lemon desserts, and look forward to trying thie lemon meringue when I am driving again!

I LOVE your blog!

Warmly,
Ann

Amanda November 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I haven’t tried applesauce and baking powder…what are the measurements for that?

I would have a very tough time with a chocolate allergy. I probably eat it at least once a day! But I’m happy to hear that the cravings have finally subsided! Are you able to eat similar flavored things like carob?

I am determined to figure out how to make a vegan lemon meringue pie. :)

Liz @ iheartvegetables November 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Woah! there is a place in VA called Galaxy diner! But sadly, it’s not VEGGIE Galaxy :( They do have some cool veggie stuff though!

They ALSO have fried oreos. haha

Amanda November 9, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I can’t say that I’ve ever had a fried oreo, but I’d be game to try one! haha

Ann W November 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Hi Again!

The applesauce egg replacer goes like this: 4 tablespoons unsweetened AS with 1 teaspoon baking powder. I got this online, as well as in a magazine I picked up called “Living Without”. It’s a great allergy magazine, and has amazing substitutes for many things. I think it should be called “Living With” because it gives viable, yummy substitutions especially for dairy, egg and gluten allergies (which I have). They list another egg substitute with 4 TBSP pureed silken tofu amd 1 tsp baking soda.

I am really happy that the chocolate cravings have gone, at least for now. For the first time in 7 weeks, I had a peice of “real” French bread, gluten and all! Interestingly, it tasted “different”, so I think when eating things that are agreeable with your body, your taste might buds may change due to the “happy” food that you are now enjoying. Who knows, but it sounds good.

I will mail 2 copies of the substituions page from “Living Without” to your mother for you and her in the next few days. It has many good ideas, and may help with your quest for lemon meringue pie-I would say that is for the “greater good”!!!

Take Care,
Ann

Amanda November 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Ann! I’m looking forward to trying the applesauce egg replacer and will definitely check out the “Living Without” article. :)

Kim November 15, 2011 at 12:24 am

That all looks so delicious. Considering I’m in a town with a heavy population of vegans/vegetarians, I’m sad that we don’t have any places like this that really stick out to me. I definitely need to do some traveling to find some awesome veggie restaurants.

Amanda November 15, 2011 at 12:33 am

Veggie Galaxy is a very nice addition to Boston, which is unfortunately kind of lacking when it comes to vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Also, if you’re ever in San Francisco, I highly recommend Cafe Gratitude. A lot of their food is also raw, and all local ingredients. It’s awesome!

Dee May 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I went to Veggie Galaxy for dessert and had a great vegan Oreo Cheesecake there!! I live in Boston right now, and I’m on the look for more vegetarian/vegan-friendly restaurants. I’ve been to an excellent one in Chinatown which I believe is called Buddha’s Delight; not sure if it’s still open though. I’ve also heard that My Thai and Clover are both good restaurants.

Amanda May 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Vegan oreo cheesecake sounds so good! I haven’t tried the restaurants you mentioned – I’ll have to look into those!

Vegan Miam May 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I’m so glad I went there since I usually visit Brookline, MA once a year (family friend visit). I am from Oregon. It was my second time to eat at Veggie Galaxy and I was already in love with their vegan desserts including the “famous” lemon meringue! Impressive desserts!

Well done, Veggie Galaxy!

And great post, too, keep it coming! :)

Amanda May 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Their lemon meringue is incredible – extra lemony, just the way I like it. Great post too! Your photos came out really well!