Easy As (Pumpkin) Pie

November 11, 2011

in Other Desserts, Pumpkin

pumpkin_pie

When it comes to pies, I am a self-proclaimed filling person.

filling_ingredients

If I have a pie in my kitchen, I will grab a bite of filling every time I walk through that room. And needless to say, I’m in the kitchen A LOT.

pumpkin_filling

Just consider yourself lucky if I’m polite enough to use a spoon.

lick_the_bowl

The crust? Well, that’s all yours.

flour_earth_balance

And so I had intended to simply make a pumpkin pie filling and forego the crust, but then I remembered that I’m married. And my husband’s favorite part is the crust.

dough

Now you see why this relationship works, right?

vegan_pie_crust

I decided to switch up the crust recipe I used the other week for my vegan apple pie, nix the shortening, and just use a mix of flour, earth balance, and water. And you know what? I actually really like this crust!

vegan_pumpkin_pie

It’s slightly buttery, flakey, and kind of addictive. So maybe I’m a filling AND a crust person now. Watch out, Aaron.

Oh, and did I mention this pie is vegan and uses light coconut milk in the filling?

pumpkin_pie_bite

Yep, I’m on my second slice.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

• 1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 C. Light Coconut Milk
  • ¾ C. Granulated Sugar
  • 3 Tbs. Cornstarch
  • 1 Tbs. Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Begin by preparing the pie crust.
  3. Add flours to a large bowl and, using your fingers, pinch Earth Balance into flour until Earth Balance pieces are about the size of peas.
  4. Add water, 1 Tbs. at a time, until dough holds together. Form into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface.
  5. Roll out dough using a lightly floured rolling pin, making sure to rotate it as you roll so the dough doesn't stick to your counter.
  6. Place crust in pie dish and set aside.
  7. Prepare the pumpkin pie filling by combining pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
  8. Transfer filling to pie dish and bake for 60 minutes, or until filling has solidified and crust is golden brown.
  9. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.

This pie may not last the weekend.

Emily November 12, 2011 at 12:49 am

I’m definitely a filling person when it comes to pies, as well. I always start off eating the crust but wind up just scooping out the filling by the end. Hey, you do what you have to do!
I can’t wait to get cooking for Thanksgiving this year- I will, without a doubt, be using this pumpkin pie recipe! But, I maaay have to test this one out ahead of time, just to be sure to have an entire pie for myself. :)

Amanda November 12, 2011 at 12:58 am

Good idea to test it out ahead of time. Pies are tricky because it’s not like you can take a little sample and not have people notice. haha

The crust part still intimidates me. There’s a fine line between not using enough water and having it be too dry, and using too much and having it be too sticky. Practice makes perfect though!

Emily November 12, 2011 at 12:50 am

just to be sure AND to have an entire pie for myself**

Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life November 12, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m a filling person too. But I can’t do pumpkin. No matter how hard I try. Unless it’s in a soup!

Amanda November 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Hmm. How about sweet potato? Or is that too similar to pumpkin?

Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm

HOLY PUMPKIN. This looks incredible, Amanda! The filling is my fave too. ;-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Your photos are spectacular!

The detail, the macro, the lighting, the composition.

and the recipe isn’t half bad either :) Seriously I adore filling. Why bother with crust. Lol.

Amanda November 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks so much! I’m trying to work on my composition. It’s not really something I have down pat yet, but I had a moment with these photos where I felt like I was “getting it” if that makes any sense. :)

I think I’ll work on a pumpkin custard recipe next!

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking November 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Wow! I love your use of coconut milk in the pie..sounds like a great combination! I never thought to try vegan pumpkin pie..but I just might because it looks SO good!

Amanda November 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thanks, Anna! It definitely tastes a little lighter than traditional pumpkin pie because of the light coconut milk, but I think that lets the pumpkin come through a little more. Of course, you could always go with full fat coconut milk to make it even more decadent!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} November 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh now I’m soooo love how rustic this looks! Beautiful!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} November 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Sorry… see I was so excited I forgot how to write… I’ll start over, k? I soooo love how rustic this is! Beautiful! HA!! I need help?!

Amanda November 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

haha No worries. We all could use a little help on Mondays. :) Glad to hear you liked it!

EM November 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

I’ve been searching for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe with only a few ingredients so I was so excited to find yours. I tried it two days ago and it turned out delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Amanda November 12, 2012 at 11:56 am

I’m so glad you liked it, Em! I’m currently in the process of putting together my Thanksgiving menu and I’m thinking I need to make this pie again. :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} November 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I made this pie (in addition to your apple pie!) for Thanksgiving. It was great! The coconut milk is genius, it worked perfectly. Will definitely be making again!