When it comes to pies, I am a self-proclaimed filling person.
If I have a pie in my kitchen, I will grab a bite of filling every time I walk through that room. And needless to say, I’m in the kitchen A LOT.
Just consider yourself lucky if I’m polite enough to use a spoon.
The crust? Well, that’s all yours.
And so I had intended to simply make a pumpkin pie filling and forego the crust, but then I remembered that I’m married. And my husband’s favorite part is the crust.
Now you see why this relationship works, right?
I decided to switch up the crust recipe I used the other week for my vegan apple pie, nix the shortening, and just use a mix of flour, earth balance, and water. And you know what? I actually really like this crust!
It’s slightly buttery, flakey, and kind of addictive. So maybe I’m a filling AND a crust person now. Watch out, Aaron.
Oh, and did I mention this pie is vegan and uses light coconut milk in the filling?
Yep, I’m on my second slice.
- For the crust:
- ½ C. All-Purpose Flour
- ½ C. Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ C. Earth Balance
- 3 Tbs. Cold Water
- For the pumpkin filling:
- 1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 C. Light Coconut Milk
- ¾ C. Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin by preparing the pie crust.
- Add flours to a large bowl and, using your fingers, pinch Earth Balance into flour until Earth Balance pieces are about the size of peas.
- Add water, 1 Tbs. at a time, until dough holds together. Form into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough using a lightly floured rolling pin, making sure to rotate it as you roll so the dough doesn't stick to your counter.
- Place crust in pie dish and set aside.
- Prepare the pumpkin pie filling by combining pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Transfer filling to pie dish and bake for 60 minutes, or until filling has solidified and crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
This pie may not last the weekend.