Individual Pumpkin Custards

November 21, 2011

in Other Desserts, Pumpkin

pumpkin_custard

Despite dominating a pumpkin pie just over a week ago, my pumpkin craving was back in full-force. Only this time, I decided I would skip the crust and build in a little portion control.

brown_sugar

Or at least an attempt at portion control. I can’t guarantee that I’ll refrain from taking bites of pumpkin pie filling out of each ramekin. Pumpkin season is fading fast.

stove

I switched up my original pumpkin filling recipe to make a slightly denser custard, using a quick homemade vegan condensed milk.

vegan_condensed_milk

Up until recently, I had no idea you could even make vegan condensed milk, but it’s as simple as boiling some non-dairy milk, sugar, and cornstarch. Easy, delicious, and I’d venture to say a whole hell of a lot more healthy than the traditional canned variety.

cornstarch_mixture

I also cut down on the granulated sugar by about a third by using brown sugar and a little molasses to add some extra flavor.

molasses

I attempted to make my own whipped topping using some light coconut milk and powdered sugar, but failed miserably and ended up with something that I hope can be used as coffee creamer. Only, I don’t really drink coffee, so that’s all Aaron. Lucky guy.

Honey

You're a mess.

I found a whipped topping in the frozen aisle at Whole Foods that said it was all natural and didn’t contain high fructose corn syrup, did a little happy dance, and then realized when I got home that it contains milk protein. Fail again.

pumpkin_pie_filling

Despite not being vegan, it tastes pretty good (much better than cool whip) and makes for a nice photo op, so there you go. It happens.

pumpkin

This also happens.

I’m going to attempt the homemade coconut milk whipped topping again, and will be consulting a recipe next time.

pumpkin_custard_unbaked

Lesson learned: light coconut milk cannot be whipped into cream. Duh.

almost_vegan_pumpkin_custard

Individual Pumpkin Custards
Recipe type: Dessert
Cook time:
Serves: 4

• 1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 C. Light Coconut Milk, divided
  • ½ C. Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbs. Cornstarch
  • 1 Tbs. Molasses
  • 1 Tbs. Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place 4 lightly greased ramekins in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Fill pan with approximately 1 inch of water. Set aside.
  3. Make your vegan condensed milk by combining ¾ C. coconut milk and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve brown sugar.
  4. In a separate small bowl, whisk remaining ¼ C. coconut milk and cornstarch, making sure there are no lumps.
  5. Once coconut milk and brown sugar mixture is boiling, add cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
  6. Once mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
  7. In a large bowl, combine condensed milk, pumpkin, molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
  8. Transfer filling to individual ramekins and bake for 50 minutes, or until filling has solidified.
  9. Allow to cool before topping with your favorite whipped cream or ice cream, and an extra sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Apparently, I’m not the only one who likes pumpkin.

honey_pumpkin

I forgive your silly mistakes.

Billie November 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Your pup is utterly adorable.

Amanda November 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Thank you! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I really need more ramekins in my life so I can make cute portion sized things like this. I bet that coconut milk failure is super delicious though ;)

Nicole November 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love individual desserts! This one looks like a keeper.

It’s too bad whipped cream doesn’t work with light coconut milk. Full-fat is the only way to go, and the colder the better. Just pop a can in your fridge for a day and then whip up the solid cream at the top of the can with sweetener and vanilla to taste. There’s also a great vegan product called Mimicreme Healthy Top that is a great option, too!

Amanda November 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Thanks, Nicole! That’s great to know. I’m going to give that a try with the full fat coconut milk. I’m determined to get it right! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm

pumpkin with coconut milk…yum!

and i loved that they are individual. too cute!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm

These little custards look so unbelievably yummy and I have all of the ingredients on hand to make them- except molasses. Do you think that you could sub it out for either honey, agave or maple syrup? Maybe honey since it’s the “heaviest” of the three? Or should I just wait and go buy some molasses…

Amanda November 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I think I’d go with the maple syrup (that sounds pretty awesome), but any of those would work. It’s such a small amount, it shouldn’t have much of an impact on the recipe as a whole.

Let me know if you end up making it!

Emily November 22, 2011 at 6:16 am

These are so cute! I love individual anything. They’re fun to eat and provide automatic portion-control. Win, Win! :)

Ceil November 16, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hi Amanda:

I’m thrilled that business has picked up for you and hope this trend continues!
Loved your Thanksgiving menu. Since I’m in SA and the holiday is not celebrated here, I totally forgot that it will be next week. I hope that you and yours will have a fabulous get together and holiday. Please have a healthy serving of pumpkin pie or custard on my behalf.

Amanda November 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

I will definitely have some pumpkin pie or custard on your behalf!