Banana Nut Mini Muffins

banana_nut_mini_muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

Last weekend was a busy one. Between hosting dinner for my family (Thanksgiving  #2!) and all of the other errands we try to cram into a typical weekend, Aaron and I ended up splitting our to-do list. I tackled the cleaning, while he did the grocery shopping.

bananas Follow Me on Pinterest

Unfortunately, Aaron mistakenly bought vanilla almond milk instead of plain for our vegan gravy recipe, and not wanting to make him go out again, I tried to use it anyway. This resulted in a very disgusting vanilla gravy, which I quickly shoved in the freezer. I hate wasting food, but I have no idea how I’m going to salvage that. The vanilla flavor is STRONG.

flour Follow Me on Pinterest

There weren’t any mishaps aside from the almond milk, but he did come home with an awful lot of beer, wine, and bananas. The alcohol makes sense, but there must have been 20 bananas. So many, in fact, that several family members pointed them out at dinner and wanted to know why we were hoarding them.

banana_nut_batter Follow Me on Pinterest

Not surprisingly, we didn’t average four bananas a day this week. The good news, however, is that it gave me a great excuse to make banana nut muffins. Lower-fat, mini banana nut muffins to be exact.

banana_muffin_batter Follow Me on Pinterest

They’re similar to my pumpkin banana bread, but I used applesauce instead of pumpkin to cut down on the oil, and also added in a couple of handfuls of chopped walnuts.

muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

These are so good, no one will ever know they’re a little lighter than the more traditional, oil-heavy banana nut muffin recipes.

banana_mini_muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

I think I’ll help with the grocery shopping this week. Not because I don’t want to end up with a million bananas, but because I’m dying to pick up some of that cookie nut butter spread at TJ’s that the blog world’s been raving about. I could do with 20 of those.

Banana Nut Mini Muffins

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Muffins
Serves: 24 Mini Muffins
  • 2 Large, Very Ripe Bananas
  • ¼ C. Granulated Sugar
  • ¼ C. Coconut Oil, Melted (canola would also work)
  • ¼ C. Applesauce
  • 1 C. All Purpose Flour
  • 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
  • ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
  • ½ C. Chopped Walnuts (optional)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas until very few lumps remain.
  3. Add the sugar, oil, and applesauce. Whisk to combine.
  4. Sift in flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
  5. Fold in chopped walnuts, if using. The batter will be very thick.
  6. Transfer batter to muffin pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean when it's done.
  7. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
I like to use a cookie dough scoop to evenly portion out the batter into the muffin tins.

Comments

How good does that cookie butter look?! I’ve been drooling over those posts. These muffins look great, I bet I could polish off 3 or 4 without thinking twice. We go through bananas like water in our house. At least 2-3 a day so I hardly ever have brown ones on hand unfortunately unlessI hide them from my husband, who I’m convinced is part monkey with the amount he eats.

I saw they also have chocolate almond butter?! I so want to get some, but I’m scared of how quickly I’ll go through it. I can just see myself standing with the fridge door open, eating spoonfuls of nut butter out of the jar. ;)

these look sooo good!

i love that they look more like donut holes than muffins…i JUST made mini donuts in my new mini donut pan. Super fussy little buggers…I think the bigger donut pan is easier.

But the mini muffin pan is something I dont own..but want to. Love that you used a cookie scoop. NICE!

Since it’s only 1/4 C. of sugar, I think it’s worth a try. The batter will be a little more wet, but it’s a very thick batter anyway.

If you give it a try, let me know how it works out! :)

I just pulled banana nut muffins out of the oven. I added some fresh cranberries to mine and I loved the burst of sour flavor in between sweet banana bites. Your version looks healthy and delicious. I often buy extra bananas just so I can make treats with them :)

4. Jodi says

I was just reading through these comments after baking my mini muffins and saw that someone had asked about using honey instead of sugar. I did just that, 1/4 cup honey instead of sugar, and it worked great!

5. Elle says

I have made these soooo many times but modified by subbing in gluten free flour and organic chocolate chips. Amazing. Thanks so much! Keep up the great work (and Amanda too as I’m always getting great ideas off your site as well). Thanks again!

6. Elle says

Ooops, I meant Gina has a great site too! Clearly the smell of these muffins baking has gone straight to my head. ;-)

7. Jennifer L. Moore says

Just did a search for healthy banana mini muffins, and your site popped up. Glad to find something vegan to go with my three small very, very leftover bananas that didn’t have a whole lot of sugar. Great recipe-I’m printing to save for later, taking these to church in the morning, shouldn’t last too long on the snack table! Thanks!