Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad

December 7, 2011

in Soups, Salads & Sides

I still have a random bird in my apartment, but we’re learning to co-exist a little better today. Yesterday, I emailed Aaron at least 20 times complaining about the non-stop chirping, seeds all over the floor, and threatening to put the bird in the basement. Today, I’m calling him “Yellow” (very imaginative), playing him the Lady Gaga station on Pandora, and feeding him lettuce. Yellow LOVES lettuce (I read that it’s okay to give them produce…someone correct me if I’m wrong!), but he prefers to sing to his own tune. It’s a tune that keeps me from being able to form a complete thought.

brussels_sprouts

And while Yellow is loving the romaine leaves, I’ve found myself in a bit of a salad rut recently. I’m bored with romaine and baby spinach, and I already plow through kale at an absurd rate. Seriously – I can eat an entire head of kale on my own, especially when it’s in chip form, and still want more at my next meal.

salad

Then I remembered the brussels sprouts I picked up at TJ’s over the weekend. No, not the crazy-looking ones still on the stalk (has anyone else seen these?), but the ones that actually fit in the refrigerator.

salad_dressing

I thought about using my go-to method for vegetables and roasting them, but brussels sprouts are actually quite delicious raw, when you remove the bitter ends and slice them really thin.

brussels_sprouts_salad

I added in a few raisins and roasted sunflower seeds to create a nice combination of sweet and salty, and then dressed it all with a mix of lemon, agave, and olive oil. It’s almost too simple to be called a recipe, but it’s a great alternative to the more common romaine or spinach salads.

brussels_sprouts_salad_2

And it’s perfect when you only have a few minutes to throw something together. Or when you take in a stray bird and then can’t get past the incessant screeching singing to make anything more complicated.

Oh right, that’s just me.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 1

• 1 C. Brussels Sprouts, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 Tbs. Raisins (dried cranberries would also work)
  • 1-2 Tbs. Roasted, Lightly Salted Sunflower Seeds
  • Juice of ½ a Lemon
  • ½ Tbs. Olive Oil
  • ½ Tbs. Agave (or Honey/Maple Syrup)
  1. In a bowl, toss together the sliced brussels sprouts, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
  2. To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and agave.
  3. Pour dressing over greens and toss to coat.
A little mustard would be great in this dressing, if you wanted to create more of a honey mustard flavor.

What are you enjoying for lunch today?

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

this looks so fresh and perfect and love that you used a hint of sweet in the dressing…just enough probably to counter the brussles and any lil bit of bitterness. YUM!

Amanda December 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Thanks, Averie! Hope you’re enjoying Aruba! I’m very jealous – it’s rainy in Boston right now.

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking December 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

What a lovely salad! I love the addition of raisins.

I have seen the huge stalks of brussel sprouts at trader joes..half the reason I buy it is because I think it looks cool, ha.

Today for lunch I had a spinach salad with a side of homemade macaroni and cheese and sauteed mushrooms :)

Amanda December 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Those stalks do look pretty cool.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I’ve always wanted to do the raw thing with brussels sprouts. This looks amazingly fresh. I laughed at your kale obsession because I just downed half of a huge bag of it for lunch in a salad. And if it were in chip form, the whole bag would’ve been polished off. So, I hear ya.

Sarah December 8, 2011 at 2:13 am

Thats genius! I never would have thought to eat them raw.

Emily December 8, 2011 at 2:24 am

Yummy! I just bought some brussel sprouts that need to be put to use. I love that they’re raw in this dish- that’s something I rarely do!
And kale obsession?! Ditto! I can’t get enough of the leafy, green goodness. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm

OH YUM! I love brussels sprouts- the salad looks so fresh and delicious! I have a salad pretty much every single day for lunch, but have yet to be in a salad rut. I’m kind of shocked by that.
And having a bird would drive me CRAZY. You’re a better woman than I for taking that little guy in!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau December 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh, yum! I’ve never done brussels sprouts raw. Not sure why – it wouldn’t be too far off from coleslaw. I’m going to try this next time the sprouts find their way into my fridge.

Kait April 2, 2012 at 1:46 am

Quadrupled this tonight to have for the week…DELISH! Nom nom nom nom