Peanut Butter Parsley Dog Treats

I may still be recovering from all of the sweets I ate over the holidays, but the dogs were relentlessly begging me for treats last night. I think they were sad that their holiday break was coming to a close. A case of the Sunday night blues, if you will.

olive Follow Me on Pinterest Honey Follow Me on Pinterest

Okay, so not really. A typical “workday” for Honey and Olive consists of alternating eating, sleeping, going for walks, and playing tug-of-war. It’s a hard life, let me tell you.

honey_olive Follow Me on Pinterest

I had the urge to do a little baking, but haven’t quite gotten over the self-imposed cookie overload of the past week. So, to Aaron’s disappointment, I baked a batch of cookies for the dogs instead.

peanut_butter_dog_treats Follow Me on Pinterest

He may have even been tempted to try one – what’s not to like about what are essentially healthified peanut butter cookies? – but then I had to go ahead and add parsley. Sorry, Aaron.

parsley Follow Me on Pinterest

Peanut butter and parsley cookies? Yeah, it’s weird. But Olive’s breath has been so bad, that I felt it necessary to give the parsley a try. I won’t go into details about what it smells like, but I’m guessing it’s a result of teething? No amount of brushing her teeth has been helping, and she won’t eat the parsley plain. It’s the only thing she won’t eat.

vegan_dog_cookies Follow Me on Pinterest

So, into the cookies it went. Honey, who has a much more “refined” palate (Olive tries to eat trash outside, Honey only eats sticks. And she’s particular about the sticks.), was concerned about the parsley, and watched the cookie-baking process closely.

honey Follow Me on Pinterest

At first, she sniffed them discerningly.

honey_cookie Follow Me on Pinterest

And finally, gave them her seal of approval. Yes, I think Honey liked them.

honey_cookie_2 Follow Me on Pinterest

Peanut Butter Dog Treats (Vegan)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 16
  • 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ Tbs. Baking Powder
  • ½ C. Peanut Butter
  • ¼ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • ½ C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used unsweetened, plain almond milk)
  • ¼ C. Chopped Fresh Parsley, loosely packed (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease). Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, applesauce, and non-dairy milk. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix well. Fold in fresh parsley (if using).
  4. Using a cookie dough scoop or heaping tablespoons, spoon dough onto baking sheet. Lightly flatten dough with a spatula.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
  6. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

Now, if only Olive would actually chew her food, the parsley might have some kind of an impact on her stinky breath.

puppy_2

You don’t see a photo of her with a cookie because it was gone in about .2 seconds.

Comments

Oh man, I totally know what you mean. Olive’s breath was so bad last night, I couldn’t even handle letting her sit on my lap. I’m going to ask the vet about it at our next appointment on Saturday, but I have a feeling it’s because her baby teeth are falling out. Kinda gross.

You could try giving Ginger a piece of parsley or fresh mint, but my dogs won’t eat either straight up, unfortunately.

if her teeth are ok (the puppy teeth will be pushed out by the adult teeth not lost through decay) I doubt the smell is coming from her teeth. She may have eaten something and the smell is coming from an upset stomach. Some dogs eat their own poo and that can really smell. x

Yeah, her adult teeth are coming in now. We keep a very close eye on what she eats, since she’s only walked on the leash, and she doesn’t seem to be eating anything strange (although she tries!). I’m planning on asking the vet if he thinks anything is unusual when she gets her last round of puppy shots this weekend. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for dog breath. ;)

I have a dog that eats his own as well as his roommates poo. Vet said to add Season All to his food and through the digestion process what comes back out will not be so appealing to him but so far that doesn’t seem to deter him. Maybe I should be putting a whole bottle in that meal! LOL I am going to try these cookies to see if they help his not so nice breath!

Oh no! I’ve heard of dogs doing that. Maybe it’s just a phase?! Give the cookies a try, and maybe add some extra parsley in there. ;)

Cookies are in the oven right now! lol Fingers are crossed!
          He’s such a cutie pie but that breath makes it hard to be near him too long. I did drop a bit of parsley on the floor and that did seem to ease it a little so we’ll see!

I know what you mean. Olive’s breath was so bad when she was losing her baby teeth, I actually found it hard to have her on my lap.

I hope the parsley helps! I’d also recommend picking up some doggie toothpaste if you haven’t already. I’m trying to be better about brushing her teeth too!

All done but the cooling now! If these work you are my hero!
            We do have toothpaste and brush but that’s not an easy task & it doesn’t help a heck of a lot.

Ok, 3 cookies later (not all at once) he is smelling better. Not great, but better! Hope the more often he eats them the better he’ll get. Think it’s time to plant some parsley!
            Thank you!

haha The parsley seems to be helping a little actually. I’ve also been putting a few small pieces in with her food. She eats so quickly that she doesn’t have time to notice. :)

Love this post! Your dogs a very cute, I have a little dog baby myself and love taking pictures of her (although yours are much better quality than mine!).
    I’ll have to give these treats a try, I like that I have all the ingredients already!

Your description is pretty much spot-on. It’s awful!

The parsley seems like it’s helping a little, but it could be because I added a little to Olive’s food yesterday too. She won’t eat it plain, but she’s too excited about the food to pick it out. :)

Aw! Seriously, when your puppies turn up missing, you’ll know who stole them! They are beyond adorable! I’m going to have to give these treats a try- I’m sure my dogs would love them! (I don’t think they’ve met a treat they didn’t like…)

Aww! I love the pictures!! I have yet to make treats for my dogs, and don’t know why… my guys don’t eat gluten though, so I’d have to try this with some chickpea or brown rice flour.
    I love “puppy breath,” which I guess is pretty much gone about they are about 3 months old- then it just stinks. :)

5. Paj says

I regularly feed my dog plain yogurt to help aid digestion. I think the yogurt helps her breath too because it’s rarely offensive.

Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks, Jessica! I think the parsley is helping a little, but who knows. If nothing else, Olive is getting some tasty puppy cookies out of it. :)

Olive and Honey are incredibly adorable. I love, love, love Puggles! I keep trying to sell my husband on the idea of a Puggle, but he won’t budge. And Olive…gosh, she is so adorable. Love that you made dog cookies (they sound good!) and your other recipes sound great. Glad I found your blog!

Thanks, Sara! I have a special place in my heart for puggles. Don’t get me wrong – Olive is a great dog – but puggles are by far the most people-oriented, interactive breed I’ve encountered. They do have quite a bit of energy (at least for the first few years), but they’re great lap dogs and so, so sweet. I had actually wanted to get a second one, but my husband said he wanted a “real” dog. haha

7. Sarah says

Thanks for this great recipe! I love how simple and effective it is… my dog Henry is officially addicted :D

Trackbacks