Peanut Butter Parsley Dog Treats

January 2, 2012

in Nut Butter, Puppy

I may still be recovering from all of the sweets I ate over the holidays, but the dogs were relentlessly begging me for treats last night. I think they were sad that their holiday break was coming to a close. A case of the Sunday night blues, if you will.

oliveHoney

Okay, so not really. A typical “workday” for Honey and Olive consists of alternating eating, sleeping, going for walks, and playing tug-of-war. It’s a hard life, let me tell you.

honey_olive

I had the urge to do a little baking, but haven’t quite gotten over the self-imposed cookie overload of the past week. So, to Aaron’s disappointment, I baked a batch of cookies for the dogs instead.

peanut_butter_dog_treats

He may have even been tempted to try one – what’s not to like about what are essentially healthified peanut butter cookies? – but then I had to go ahead and add parsley. Sorry, Aaron.

parsley

Peanut butter and parsley cookies? Yeah, it’s weird. But Olive’s breath has been so bad, that I felt it necessary to give the parsley a try. I won’t go into details about what it smells like, but I’m guessing it’s a result of teething? No amount of brushing her teeth has been helping, and she won’t eat the parsley plain. It’s the only thing she won’t eat.

vegan_dog_cookies

So, into the cookies it went. Honey, who has a much more “refined” palate (Olive tries to eat trash outside, Honey only eats sticks. And she’s particular about the sticks.), was concerned about the parsley, and watched the cookie-baking process closely.

honey

At first, she sniffed them discerningly.

honey_cookie

And finally, gave them her seal of approval. Yes, I think Honey liked them.

honey_cookie_2

Peanut Butter Dog Treats (Vegan)
Cook time:
Serves: 16

• 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ Tbs. Baking Powder
  • ½ C. Peanut Butter
  • ¼ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • ½ C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used unsweetened, plain almond milk)
  • ¼ C. Chopped Fresh Parsley, loosely packed (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease). Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, applesauce, and non-dairy milk. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix well. Fold in fresh parsley (if using).
  4. Using a cookie dough scoop or heaping tablespoons, spoon dough onto baking sheet. Lightly flatten dough with a spatula.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
  6. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

Now, if only Olive would actually chew her food, the parsley might have some kind of an impact on her stinky breath.

puppy_2

You don’t see a photo of her with a cookie because it was gone in about .2 seconds.

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Oh YAY!!! I’m going to make some for Hudson! He LOVES treats….well food of all kinds really ;) This little wiener dog can eat!

xxoo

Amanda January 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

haha Let me know if he likes them!

Gina @ running to the kitchen January 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Let me know if you think it works because I’ll be all over these in a minute! Ginger’s breath smells like the ocean and not in a good way.

Amanda January 2, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Oh man, I totally know what you mean. Olive’s breath was so bad last night, I couldn’t even handle letting her sit on my lap. I’m going to ask the vet about it at our next appointment on Saturday, but I have a feeling it’s because her baby teeth are falling out. Kinda gross.

You could try giving Ginger a piece of parsley or fresh mint, but my dogs won’t eat either straight up, unfortunately.

Billie January 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm

if her teeth are ok (the puppy teeth will be pushed out by the adult teeth not lost through decay) I doubt the smell is coming from her teeth. She may have eaten something and the smell is coming from an upset stomach. Some dogs eat their own poo and that can really smell. x

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 12:49 am

Yeah, her adult teeth are coming in now. We keep a very close eye on what she eats, since she’s only walked on the leash, and she doesn’t seem to be eating anything strange (although she tries!). I’m planning on asking the vet if he thinks anything is unusual when she gets her last round of puppy shots this weekend. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for dog breath. ;)

CarolS June 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I have a dog that eats his own as well as his roommates poo. Vet said to add Season All to his food and through the digestion process what comes back out will not be so appealing to him but so far that doesn’t seem to deter him. Maybe I should be putting a whole bottle in that meal! LOL I am going to try these cookies to see if they help his not so nice breath!

Amanda June 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Oh no! I’ve heard of dogs doing that. Maybe it’s just a phase?! Give the cookies a try, and maybe add some extra parsley in there. ;)

CarolS June 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Cookies are in the oven right now! lol Fingers are crossed!
He’s such a cutie pie but that breath makes it hard to be near him too long. I did drop a bit of parsley on the floor and that did seem to ease it a little so we’ll see!

Amanda June 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I know what you mean. Olive’s breath was so bad when she was losing her baby teeth, I actually found it hard to have her on my lap.

I hope the parsley helps! I’d also recommend picking up some doggie toothpaste if you haven’t already. I’m trying to be better about brushing her teeth too!

CarolS June 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm

All done but the cooling now! If these work you are my hero!
We do have toothpaste and brush but that’s not an easy task & it doesn’t help a heck of a lot.

CarolS June 6, 2012 at 1:16 am

Ok, 3 cookies later (not all at once) he is smelling better. Not great, but better! Hope the more often he eats them the better he’ll get. Think it’s time to plant some parsley!
Thank you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Okay I won’t go into detail about what my dog’s breath smells like either, but it’s rank. Did these help?

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 12:51 am

haha The parsley seems to be helping a little actually. I’ve also been putting a few small pieces in with her food. She eats so quickly that she doesn’t have time to notice. :)

Kim January 3, 2012 at 3:01 am

sounds like my olive and your olive have similar eating habits ;)

emma January 3, 2012 at 3:04 am

Love this post! Your dogs a very cute, I have a little dog baby myself and love taking pictures of her (although yours are much better quality than mine!).
I’ll have to give these treats a try, I like that I have all the ingredients already!

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Let me know if you make the treats and whether your dog likes them! :)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau January 3, 2012 at 3:11 am

This is a good idea. Sometimes my dogs have breath that can only be described rotting hot fish. I’d love to hear how this works!

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Your description is pretty much spot-on. It’s awful!

The parsley seems like it’s helping a little, but it could be because I added a little to Olive’s food yesterday too. She won’t eat it plain, but she’s too excited about the food to pick it out. :)

Emily January 3, 2012 at 5:56 am

Aw! Seriously, when your puppies turn up missing, you’ll know who stole them! They are beyond adorable! I’m going to have to give these treats a try- I’m sure my dogs would love them! (I don’t think they’ve met a treat they didn’t like…)

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Feel free to steal Olive for a little while…she’s a handful! ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Aww! I love the pictures!! I have yet to make treats for my dogs, and don’t know why… my guys don’t eat gluten though, so I’d have to try this with some chickpea or brown rice flour.
I love “puppy breath,” which I guess is pretty much gone about they are about 3 months old- then it just stinks. :)

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

“Puppy breath” is the best. :) Unfortunately, what Olive has is much less pleasant.

Paj January 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I regularly feed my dog plain yogurt to help aid digestion. I think the yogurt helps her breath too because it’s rarely offensive.

Thanks for the recipe.

Amanda January 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jessica January 3, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Your dogs are SO cute! I want to try this recipe out for mine.. he’s been pretty stinky lately too.

Amanda January 4, 2012 at 2:26 am

Thanks, Jessica! I think the parsley is helping a little, but who knows. If nothing else, Olive is getting some tasty puppy cookies out of it. :)

Bridget @ Type A-Frame Personality January 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm

These look perfect for our dogs. Chicken has the worst breathe at times, and Donkey is our “puppy” and doesn’t chew either. How funny.

Amanda January 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love those names!

Kat January 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Those puppy dog eyes just kill me, they’re so sweet. I used to make all my dogs’ food but I’ve never tried making treats!

Amanda January 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I used to make Honey’s dog food, but it became such a time-consuming (and expensive) process. These treats are so quick and easy!

Sara @ OurDogBuffy January 20, 2012 at 2:54 am

Olive and Honey are incredibly adorable. I love, love, love Puggles! I keep trying to sell my husband on the idea of a Puggle, but he won’t budge. And Olive…gosh, she is so adorable. Love that you made dog cookies (they sound good!) and your other recipes sound great. Glad I found your blog!

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Thanks, Sara! I have a special place in my heart for puggles. Don’t get me wrong – Olive is a great dog – but puggles are by far the most people-oriented, interactive breed I’ve encountered. They do have quite a bit of energy (at least for the first few years), but they’re great lap dogs and so, so sweet. I had actually wanted to get a second one, but my husband said he wanted a “real” dog. haha

Emily June 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I stumbled across your blog when googling dog treats with parsley because I didn’t kn

Sarah May 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! I love how simple and effective it is… my dog Henry is officially addicted :D

Amanda May 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm

That’s great! I’m so glad Henry likes the cookies (and you’re benefitting from the parley in them). :)

Amanda June 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm