Baked BBQ Chickpeas

chickpeas Follow Me on Pinterest

As Katie of Sweet Tater Blog so profoundly stated on Twitter yesterday: “if i could elect one food to be president of the world, it would be chickpeas.”

chickpeas_garlic Follow Me on Pinterest

I often tell people that kale is my favorite food (surprisingly, my favorite food is not peppermint patties, pumpkin spice donuts, or even oatmeal raisin cookies). However, chickpeas are either tied for first or come in at a close second. I can’t decide, and it really doesn’t matter. I eat an obscene amount of both foods throughout any given week.

chickpeas_bbq_sauce Follow Me on Pinterest

I like chickpeas in hummus, chickpeas in stew, and even chickpeas in baked goods. No recipe for that last one yet, but I should really get on that.

bbq_chickpeas_pre_baked Follow Me on Pinterest

Recently though, my absolute favorite way to eat chickpeas is drenched in BBQ sauce, sprinkled with crushed garlic and a little drizzle of olive oil, and baked until perfectly chewy and crispy. And nearly every time I make them, I talk Aaron’s ear off about how they taste just like chicken wings.

bbq_chickpeas Follow Me on Pinterest

Aaron completely disagrees, and considering I haven’t had an actual chicken wing that wasn’t of the tofu variety in at least ten years, he’s probably right. But my point is that these satisfy any craving you might have for barbecue, they make an excellent snack, and they’re even better served alongside some baked kale chips. These, to me, are vegan comfort snack food at its finest. I just can’t get enough.

bbq_chickpeas_2 Follow Me on Pinterest

Baked BBQ Chickpeas

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Appetiser
Serves: 6
  • 3 C. Chickpeas, cooked (about 2, 15 oz. cans)
  • 1 Large Clove Garlic, crushed
  • ¼ C. - ⅓ C. BBQ Sauce, depending on personal preference (I like to use ⅓ C.)
  • 2 Tsp. Olive Oil
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Drain and rinse chickpeas and place them in a large bowl.
  4. Add the crushed garlic, BBQ sauce, and olive oil to the chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
  5. Transfer chickpeas to your prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
If possible, go with dried chickpeas over canned. The flavor and texture is a million times better, they're significantly cheaper, and the prep work is minimal. Simply rinse your dried chickpeas the day before you plan to use them, put them in a tupperware filled with water (completely submerge them in water - they'll absorb a lot), and allow to soak in the fridge overnight. Then, before you use them, dump the water and chickpeas into a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked. If you don't have parchment paper, I would recommend lining your baking sheet with aluminum foil coated in a little cooking spray. It can get messy with all of the BBQ sauce, and it's really nice to just be able to throw away the parchment paper or foil after these are done.

…

Have you tried baked chickpeas before? What’s your current favorite snack?

I saw a recipe for salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas on Oh She Glows the other day that I can’t wait to try next! I can’t even remember the last time I ate salt & vinegar chips, but I love them and this seems like a great alternative.

Comments

I love chickpeas, and have made the salt & vinegar recipe from Oh She Glows several times (it also works really well using potatoes!). I eat chickpeas plain, roasted, in tacos, as hummus- you name it! I have not used them for something sweet yet, but just looking at a recipe on Chocolate-Covered Katie’s blog that uses them for “cookie dough” dip. Intriguing…
    But for now, I’ve gotta go get my bottle of Annie’s bbq sauce outta the fridge and dump it on some chickpeas!

The picture with the bbq sauce slooooooowly dripping down…I might have just drooled over my patient screening logs….

*sigh* Btwn that and the garlic those look heavenly! And delish, I also might be biased since I LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted chickpeas.

Next I have to figure out how to do wasabi peas because the ones from Trader’s are my current obsession.

mmmmmm…. when I’m in that store I have to keep reminding myself “project: food budget, project: food budget…”

Luckily I’m friends with two of the girls who work there (only from spending so much time there shopping haha) so they shoved the open bag of peas in my hands (we opened it to try so as to better inform other customers because, clearly, I talk to everyone about food) and sent me on my way. I’m not ashamed to admit that it totally made my Friday!

OMG!!! Come to Kris BBQ Chickpeas, I think I love you already….

Ok, chickpeas rock the roof off! Seriously I make them sweet with cinnamon and stevia and baked and mix with chocolate chips for a sweet protein snack! AMAZING!

xxoo

Mmm…baked chickpeas are amazing!
    I’ve actually tried Angela’s Salt & Vinegar baked chickpeas and they’re SO good. You’re going to love them. (:

This looks SO good! I love chikpeas, a wine shop in Richmond makes fried chickpeas (they’re pan fried, not deep fried, so I consider them not as bad haha) sprinked with sea salt and crushed pink peppercorns. I have dreams about them.

oh girl. those chickpeas are literally making my mouth water. I miss being able to cook my own! I am going to try to learn how to make channa masala while I’m here. But I definitely plan on making these once I’m back in the land of BBQ sauce!

I attempted channa masala this past weekend actually, but it was probably far from authentic. I bet you’ll learn some incredible recipes while you’re in India!

I just found your blog through the Kitchen Misfit auction (I bid on your cookies actually!), and these look AMAZING. Considering that I’ll put bbq sauce on anything, but am vegetarian, this sounds absolutely perfect. Love the crunch that roasted chickpeas get. Thanks so much for this recipe, I can’t wait to keep browsing your posts!

Thanks, Hannah! I’m so happy someone wanted my cookies! haha I also have a slight obsession with bbq sauce, and a full-blown obsession with chickpeas.

Love your blog, by the way! Your writing style is hilarious!

I made these and they were very tasty. I’m going to try a chipotle bbq sauce for the next batch.

It took me over an hour for the chickpeas to dry out though. Tricky little buggers!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

So glad you liked them! I find that canned chickpeas take longer because they have more water (not sure if that was the case for you though). I’d try patting them dry with paper towels or letting them sit in a colander for a bit to see if that helps cut down the baking time. :)

I used dried and patted them off too because I’d had this problem in the past with the canned stuff. Maybe my oven just runs cold?

I wonder if cooking them a bit first, then coating them with the bbq, and cooking them some more would help. Or do you think that would just make a mess of things?

Hmmm, I haven’t had that problem. I think your idea to try cooking them first, then coating with bbq sauce, and then baking again is worth a try. You could also try increasing the oven temp (maybe 25 degrees?).

9. Claire says

I made this recipe for my family and it was so easy and delicious! My apartment is also filled with a wonderful bbq smell.

I have never thought to add a sauce to chickpeas! And I am curious about your statement of baking with them. I have never heard of that. I have several cans of chickpeas here, so I will try the recipe this week!

Trackbacks