Baked BBQ Chickpeas

January 10, 2012

in Soups, Salads & Sides

chickpeas

As Katie of Sweet Tater Blog so profoundly stated on Twitter yesterday: “if i could elect one food to be president of the world, it would be chickpeas.”

chickpeas_garlic

I often tell people that kale is my favorite food (surprisingly, my favorite food is not peppermint patties, pumpkin spice donuts, or even oatmeal raisin cookies). However, chickpeas are either tied for first or come in at a close second. I can’t decide, and it really doesn’t matter. I eat an obscene amount of both foods throughout any given week.

chickpeas_bbq_sauce

I like chickpeas in hummus, chickpeas in stew, and even chickpeas in baked goods. No recipe for that last one yet, but I should really get on that.

bbq_chickpeas_pre_baked

Recently though, my absolute favorite way to eat chickpeas is drenched in BBQ sauce, sprinkled with crushed garlic and a little drizzle of olive oil, and baked until perfectly chewy and crispy. And nearly every time I make them, I talk Aaron’s ear off about how they taste just like chicken wings.

bbq_chickpeas

Aaron completely disagrees, and considering I haven’t had an actual chicken wing that wasn’t of the tofu variety in at least ten years, he’s probably right. But my point is that these satisfy any craving you might have for barbecue, they make an excellent snack, and they’re even better served alongside some baked kale chips. These, to me, are vegan comfort snack food at its finest. I just can’t get enough.

bbq_chickpeas_2

Baked BBQ Chickpeas
Recipe type: Appetiser
Cook time:
Serves: 6

• 3 C. Chickpeas, cooked (about 2, 15 oz. cans)
  • 1 Large Clove Garlic, crushed
  • ¼ C. - ⅓ C. BBQ Sauce, depending on personal preference (I like to use ⅓ C.)
  • 2 Tsp. Olive Oil
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Drain and rinse chickpeas and place them in a large bowl.
  4. Add the crushed garlic, BBQ sauce, and olive oil to the chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
  5. Transfer chickpeas to your prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
If possible, go with dried chickpeas over canned. The flavor and texture is a million times better, they're significantly cheaper, and the prep work is minimal. Simply rinse your dried chickpeas the day before you plan to use them, put them in a tupperware filled with water (completely submerge them in water - they'll absorb a lot), and allow to soak in the fridge overnight. Then, before you use them, dump the water and chickpeas into a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked. If you don't have parchment paper, I would recommend lining your baking sheet with aluminum foil coated in a little cooking spray. It can get messy with all of the BBQ sauce, and it's really nice to just be able to throw away the parchment paper or foil after these are done.

…

Have you tried baked chickpeas before? What’s your current favorite snack?

I saw a recipe for salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas on Oh She Glows the other day that I can’t wait to try next! I can’t even remember the last time I ate salt & vinegar chips, but I love them and this seems like a great alternative.

Bridget @ Type A-Frame Personality January 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Sounds awesome! Great idea, thanks.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I love chickpeas, and have made the salt & vinegar recipe from Oh She Glows several times (it also works really well using potatoes!). I eat chickpeas plain, roasted, in tacos, as hummus- you name it! I have not used them for something sweet yet, but just looking at a recipe on Chocolate-Covered Katie’s blog that uses them for “cookie dough” dip. Intriguing…
But for now, I’ve gotta go get my bottle of Annie’s bbq sauce outta the fridge and dump it on some chickpeas!

Amanda January 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Chickpea cookie dough dip sounds interesting! I’ve tried them in blondies before, but I’m curious about that dip…I’ll have to check out the recipe!

Kait January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

There’s a lot of “dessert hummus” recipes out there too…I haven’t been brave enough to try though!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab January 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

As soon as I make some bbq sauce I’m trying this!

Amanda January 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

You make your own bbq sauce? I’m impressed!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab January 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Angela on oh she glows has a great recipe!

Kait January 10, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Mustard, vinegar, or ketchup-based?

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab January 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I wouldn’t really know how to answer that question :D I guess vinegar? here’s the link to the recipe I use! http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/06/homemade-bbq-sauce/

Kait January 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I love ang’s recipes! I make a mustard-based one using the recipe in The Happy Herbivore cookbook but I definitely need to try that one since it seems to be tomato-based rather than ketchup-based (I really don’t like ketchup…not a popular opinion I realize but its true). :)

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab January 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I’ll try that recipe! and guess what…I’m not a ketchup lover either :D

Kait January 11, 2012 at 1:15 am

For some reason it won’t let me reply to yours but

*WHEW* Glad I”m not the only one!

Kait January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

The picture with the bbq sauce slooooooowly dripping down…I might have just drooled over my patient screening logs….

*sigh* Btwn that and the garlic those look heavenly! And delish, I also might be biased since I LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted chickpeas.

Next I have to figure out how to do wasabi peas because the ones from Trader’s are my current obsession.

Amanda January 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I LOVE wasabi peas! I tried the TJ’s wasabi almonds a few weeks ago – also awesome.

Kait January 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

mmmmmm…. when I’m in that store I have to keep reminding myself “project: food budget, project: food budget…”

Luckily I’m friends with two of the girls who work there (only from spending so much time there shopping haha) so they shoved the open bag of peas in my hands (we opened it to try so as to better inform other customers because, clearly, I talk to everyone about food) and sent me on my way. I’m not ashamed to admit that it totally made my Friday!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Ok, I’m really starting to think I’m the only one who hasn’t roasted (or baked) chickpeas for the sole purpose of a snack. These look amazing and I’m betting they’d last all of about 15 minutes in my house.

Amanda January 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Oh, you have to try roasted chickpeas as a snack! They’re so good!

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

OMG!!! Come to Kris BBQ Chickpeas, I think I love you already….

Ok, chickpeas rock the roof off! Seriously I make them sweet with cinnamon and stevia and baked and mix with chocolate chips for a sweet protein snack! AMAZING!

xxoo

Amanda January 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Great idea! I’ll have to try that!

Emily January 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Mmm…baked chickpeas are amazing!
I’ve actually tried Angela’s Salt & Vinegar baked chickpeas and they’re SO good. You’re going to love them. (:

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau January 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I made these for dinner last night and sprinkled them into a raw kale salad. Yum, yum, yum!

Amanda January 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

That sounds fantastic!

Jess @JessCantCook January 13, 2012 at 5:47 am

This looks SO good! I love chikpeas, a wine shop in Richmond makes fried chickpeas (they’re pan fried, not deep fried, so I consider them not as bad haha) sprinked with sea salt and crushed pink peppercorns. I have dreams about them.

Amanda January 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Those sound awesome!

marian @ MarianWrites January 13, 2012 at 6:33 am

oh girl. those chickpeas are literally making my mouth water. I miss being able to cook my own! I am going to try to learn how to make channa masala while I’m here. But I definitely plan on making these once I’m back in the land of BBQ sauce!

Amanda January 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I attempted channa masala this past weekend actually, but it was probably far from authentic. I bet you’ll learn some incredible recipes while you’re in India!

Hannah at FleurDeLicious January 24, 2012 at 12:41 am

I just found your blog through the Kitchen Misfit auction (I bid on your cookies actually!), and these look AMAZING. Considering that I’ll put bbq sauce on anything, but am vegetarian, this sounds absolutely perfect. Love the crunch that roasted chickpeas get. Thanks so much for this recipe, I can’t wait to keep browsing your posts!

Amanda January 24, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thanks, Hannah! I’m so happy someone wanted my cookies! haha I also have a slight obsession with bbq sauce, and a full-blown obsession with chickpeas.

Love your blog, by the way! Your writing style is hilarious!

mrsblocko June 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I made these and they were very tasty. I’m going to try a chipotle bbq sauce for the next batch.

It took me over an hour for the chickpeas to dry out though. Tricky little buggers!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Amanda June 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

So glad you liked them! I find that canned chickpeas take longer because they have more water (not sure if that was the case for you though). I’d try patting them dry with paper towels or letting them sit in a colander for a bit to see if that helps cut down the baking time. :)

mrsblocko June 10, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I used dried and patted them off too because I’d had this problem in the past with the canned stuff. Maybe my oven just runs cold?

I wonder if cooking them a bit first, then coating them with the bbq, and cooking them some more would help. Or do you think that would just make a mess of things?

Amanda June 11, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hmmm, I haven’t had that problem. I think your idea to try cooking them first, then coating with bbq sauce, and then baking again is worth a try. You could also try increasing the oven temp (maybe 25 degrees?).

Claire June 30, 2012 at 12:51 am

I made this recipe for my family and it was so easy and delicious! My apartment is also filled with a wonderful bbq smell.

Amanda June 30, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’m so happy to hear your family enjoyed it! It’s a good way to satisfy a bbq craving!

Kathryn Stratford February 17, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I have never thought to add a sauce to chickpeas! And I am curious about your statement of baking with them. I have never heard of that. I have several cans of chickpeas here, so I will try the recipe this week!

Amanda February 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Baked chickpeas are awesome! I probably make them for a snack at least once a week (I am chickpea-obsessed).

Anna July 20, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Hoy moly these are amazing!!! Great recipe thank you !

Amanda July 21, 2014 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Anna! Glad you like the recipe!