Chocolate-Glazed Orange Donuts

January 19, 2012

in Other Desserts

As I was scrolling through my Google Reader last night, there was one blog post title that immediately caught my attention: Chocolate Chip Waffles with Kumquat Ice Cream, courtesy of the incredible Manifest Vegan blog. Chocolate and citrus is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations, and as I read through Allyson’s recipe, I debated making a last-minute Whole Foods run to buy kumquats.

oranges

Then I remembered I don’t own a waffle maker, and Modern Family was about to start (priorities). Just another perfectly valid reason I need a waffle maker and a DVR in my life. I had also already eaten chocolate chips straight out of the bag for dessert, but who’s counting?

orange_zest

This morning, in true food blogger fashion, my first thought of the day was not about my work projects or errands I needed to get done. Instead, my mind went right back to that amazing chocolate citrus combination. And then I remembered my beloved, recently neglected donut pan. Bingo.

orange_juice

I used a variation of my pumpkin spice donut recipe, subbing out the spices for orange zest and the almond milk for orange juice. I didn’t have any orange juice on hand, so I ended up juicing fresh oranges, not even thinking twice about having to clean the juicer – that’s how excited I was for these citrusy donuts.

Rather than spooning the thick donut batter into the pan, I used a little trick I learned at a baking class a while back and piped the batter with a pastry bag. It was much easier, and because I wasn’t dropping batter all over my counters, I found that I had just enough leftover to also bake a couple of muffins.

donut_battervegan_donuts

I replaced the Earth Balance with a mixture of equal parts melted coconut oil and applesauce in this recipe, and surprisingly, I think the texture is even better this way. I love it when that happens.

melted_chcolatechcolate_orange_donuts

I topped my donuts with a rich, chocolatey glaze and a sprinkle of orange zest. If you’re not into the whole chocolate-citrus thing, we can’t be friends feel free to go with a powdered sugar glaze.

chocolate_glazed_orange_muffin

I still fully intend on making Allyson’s chocolate chip waffles and kumquat ice cream, but for now, these chocolate-glazed orange donuts are holding me over juuuust fine.

orange_chocolate_vegan_donut

Chocolate-Glazed Orange Donuts (Vegan)
Recipe type: Donuts
Cook time:
Serves: 6 donuts

• For the Donuts:
  • 1 C. All Purpose Flour
  • 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
  • 1 Tbs. Orange Zest, plus another Tsp. for garnish
  • ¼ Tsp. Salt
  • ¾ C. Orange Juice
  • ½ C. Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Tbs. Coconut Oil, melted (or other vegan buttery spread)
  • 2 Tbs. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • ½ Tsp. Pure Vanilla
  • For the Chocolate Glaze
  • ½ C. Vegan Chocolate Chips (I used TJ’s brand)
  • 1 Tbs. Coconut Oil
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease a donut pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
  4. In a small bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, granulated sugar, melted coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
  5. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
  6. Spoon or pipe batter into greased donut pan.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until donuts are golden brown and firm to the touch.
  8. Allow donuts to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
  9. While donuts are cooling, prepare the chocolate glaze by melting the chocolate chips and coconut oil.
  10. Dip each donut into the chocolate and garnish with a sprinkle of the remaining orange zest.
I used a donut pan from Crate & Barrel, and this recipe made about 6 small donuts, plus some leftover batter that I used to make 2 muffins. Donut pans can vary a lot in size, so donut yield will likely vary. You may need to adjust your baking time accordingly. No donut pan? No problem! You can use the batter to make delicious muffins. Just be sure to bake them for an additional 3-5 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

What recipe(s) caught your attention this week?

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab January 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’m a orange choco combo fan, so I’ll definitely try this one!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 19, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh man- this sounds amazing! And FYI- I have an entire gallon-sized BAG of kumquats that I brought home from Florida!
(How great was Modern Family? Apparently there was a big uproar about the Lily ‘issue’ from last night!)

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 1:29 am

I LOVED that Modern Family episode! I thought the Lily “issue” was hysterical!

Stephanie @ Mr and Meatless January 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I cannot resist chocolate and orange together! And those donuts look incredible. I don’t have a donut pan though. Or a waffle iron for that matter. I seem to be sorely lacking in the kitchen gadgets department…

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 1:32 am

I’ve yet to find a decent, affordable waffle iron, but the donut pans are pretty cheap (less than $15) and totally worth it in my opinion. But, you can always just make chocolate-frosted orange muffins! (I’m calling them muffins instead of cupcakes to justify eating them for breakfast. Ha!)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 20, 2012 at 3:00 am

This is just another example of why I need a donut pan in my life asap. I love the chocolate citrus combo, it’s hard to imagine those who hate it!

Emily January 20, 2012 at 3:02 am

Orange and chocolate is one of those combinations that I rarely think about but, when I have it, I’m reminded of how much I love it.
I need a donut pan. Badly. For now, I’ll settle for making these as muffins. Yum! <3

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

They’re equally delicious as muffins. :)

Krissy @ Krissy's Creations January 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

We have the same priorities {I love Modern Family!}. These doughnuts looks out of this world! I seriously want one right now. And the pictures are beautiful!

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks, Krissy! I was very glad I put away my laptop to enjoy Modern Family – loved that episode!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau January 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I love these. I love these. And I love these. Thank you.

Oops, forgot – I need these, too.

Amanda January 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm

haha Yes, you need these.

Michelle Collins January 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I received a doughnut pan as a Christmas gift LAST year, and have still yet to make use of it. This recipe has inspired me to start making some doughnuts!

Amanda January 21, 2012 at 1:39 am

Awesome! One you make your first batch, I highly doubt you’ll go another year without making donuts on a regular basis. They’re so good!

Gena January 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I love this easy and exquisite vegan dessert! I may have to invest in a donut pan.

Bridget @ Type A-Frame Personality January 24, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Alright so I bought a donut tray thingy just to try these out! They look amazing and chocolate and orange is my favorite sweet combination. I’ll let you know if they are edible! I’m also gonna bid on some cookies later, that is very sweet you are doing that. no pun intended.

Amanda January 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Awesome! Please let me know how they turn out! I’m sure they will be edible. :)

And thank you in advance for supporting Kitchen Misfit’s bake sale. It’s a great cause and all of the baked goods look really good!

Ashley January 26, 2012 at 4:07 am

I just realized I’ve had my doughnut pan for going on four months and have used it once. This seems unacceptable to me, and like every other commenter here I love citrus and dark chocolate (hello, those breakable chocolate oranges at Christmas?!?!) so these are moving to the top of the to-bake list!

Amanda January 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I was actually thinking about those breakable chocolate oranges when I was making these donuts! It’s been forever since I had one of those…

what katie's baking February 23, 2012 at 5:02 am

oh man this made me drool! such pretty photos.

Amanda February 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, Katie! :)

susan February 23, 2012 at 5:10 am

these are simply gorgy! i am going to try and make these gluten free…my son is begging for them! thanks for sharing!

Amanda February 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment, Susan. Let me know how the gluten-free version turns out!

P.S. Your blog is beautiful!