Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger Sugar Topping

February 6, 2012

in Breakfast

broiled_grapefruit

Ginger is one of those ingredients that I’ve only started to appreciate during the last couple of years. My parents used to cook with it all the time when I lived at home and my dad, in particular, had a very heavy hand with the ginger. We’re talking sizable chunks of ginger, and usually in some sort of veggie and soba noodle type of stir-fry. My family jokingly referred to it as a “dad dinner” – noodles, vegetables, and sauce, all cooked in one big pot with enough leftovers to feed an army. Go big or go home, right?

grapefruit

I was never a picky eater, but I despised ginger for most of my childhood and would spend the first five minutes of my meal picking out all of the ginger and inspecting my food for cat hair (that’s a whole other story). It’s not like it was hard to pick it out, thanks to my dad treating the ginger like celery or something when he chopped it.

grapefruit_ginger_topping

I’ve slowly given ginger a second chance now that I have more control over the preparation. I love it on vegetable sushi, in fresh juices, and covered in dark chocolate. But really, most things covered in chocolate are good.

broiled_grapefruit_ginger

This morning, after spending a solid two minutes staring down a leftover chunk of ginger in my fridge, I decided I should figure out a way to incorporate it into breakfast. I wasn’t in the mood for a smoothie and didn’t feel like having to clean the juicer. That’s when a grapefruit literally fell off the counter and hit me.

grapefruit_bite

Grapefruit and ginger is an outstanding combination, and what better way to pair the two than by mixing a little sugar with some grated ginger and creating a crunchy topping for the grapefruit. It’s even better when you put everything under the broiler for a few minutes and allow the sugar to caramelize.

grapefruit_broiled

This.was.so.good. Dare I say that I LOVED the ginger in this recipe?

grapefruit_broiled_ginger

Yes, it was that awesome.

Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger Sugar Topping
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cook time:
Serves: 1-2

• 1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
  • 2 Tsp. Granulated Sugar
  • 1 Tsp. Freshly Grated Ginger
  1. Slice the grapefruit in half. I also recommend slicing each segment before broiling to make it easier to eat.
  2. Place the grapefruit on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  3. Combine the granulated sugar and finely grated ginger, then sprinkle over the top of the grapefruit.
  4. Place under your oven broiler for 5-7 minutes, until the sugar is bubbling and caramelized.
  5. Enjoy immediately!
I used a microplane to grate the ginger. It created a very fine pulp that evenly distributed in each bite. You can use any sugar you like. Brown sugar or a crunchy sucanat would be great as well.

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

O.M.G!!! What an interesting snack!!! You have the most amazing, fun recipes, girl, I cant’ wait to try this when I can have some sweetness back in my life!!

xxoo

Amanda February 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thanks, Kris! I think this would still be good without the sugar, although it does create a fun texture!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This is an amazing sounding combination. We are exploding with grapefruits over here (my husband is slightly obsessed) and guess who has a tiny little knub of ginger left in the fridge too? Divine intervention ;)

Amanda February 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Definitely give this combo a try. I’m already contemplating making it again for dessert…or at least alongside some chocolate. ;)

katie @KatieDid February 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I tried broiling a grapefruit with honey last week- it was pretty good but I pictured it coming out with a nice charred top. No such luck. And I’m not too keen on ginger either, I practically never cook with it.

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) February 6, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Broiled grapefruit is one of those recipes that I see, and I think it would be really good, but I never get around to trying. I’m bookmarking this and hoping it will be the motivation I need to finally make this. Looks delicious!

Amanda February 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thanks, Jordan! I know what you mean – I’m constantly bookmarking recipes, hoping I’ll actually remember to make them!

Shannon from Healthiful Balance February 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I’ve never had anything like this before but it looks awesome! :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I still have 2 grapefruits leftover from Florida. I’ll have to try this!
I love ginger flavor and am totally addicted to ginger chews- all varieties of them.

Amanda February 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm

One of my friends was obsessed with ginger chews and she got me addicted to them for a while. I love the spicy flavor!

Margarita February 8, 2012 at 6:33 am

I love ginger. It always adds a nice zing to everything it’s in. This looks great. Very simple, yet awesome!

Amanda February 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thanks, Margarita! Sometimes it’s the simple things that turn out the best. :)

dad February 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

love the recipe. I ran TJ’s and bought 2 dozen grape fruit and hands full of ginger…will be sustained by this for at least a week!

Amanda February 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

haha Their grapefruits are so good right now – I’ve been eating at least one a day!

myfudo February 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

I love the tangy flavor of ginger…The pictures are great too. I’ll watch out for more interesting posts from your site.

Amanda February 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the compliment. :)

Jeannie Bee March 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm

In January we did a similar recipe using broiled grapefruit in Publix Apron’s Simple Meals. The possibilities are, as they say… endless.