Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies

vegan_meringues Follow Me on Pinterest

As someone who eats a mostly vegan diet, there are some foods I’ve learned to live without. Cheese is an excellent example. Yes, there are plenty of vegan alternatives, ranging from cashew-based “cheese” to daiya to nutritional yeast, among many others. And while I can appreciate these substitutions in their own right, there is simply nothing like melty mozzarella or stinky blue cheese. And that’s fine. I personally feel my best when I’m not eating real cheese.

vegan_meringue Follow Me on Pinterest

Meringue, on the other hand, is something I’ve missed dearly. As a topping for pie and in cookie form, I have always loved meringue. But when I became more serious about eliminating animal products from my food choices about a year ago, I sort of just accepted the fact that there wasn’t a good vegan alternative for egg whites. Chia and flax eggs are great, but they’ll only get you so far.

chocolate_meringue Follow Me on Pinterest

And then last week, after passing by the Ener-G egg replacer so many times before, I finally decided to give it a try. I was so impressed with the texture it allowed me to achieve for the marshmallow topping on my s’mores cupcakes, I knew I had to attempt to make a batch of meringue cookies.

chocolate Follow Me on Pinterest

Crispy little cookies that are so light they almost resemble bites of air, yet are somehow so satisfying.

meringue_cookies Follow Me on Pinterest

I added a little cocoa powder, some chopped up chocolate chips, and a splash of mint extract, combining my love for mint chocolate chip ice cream and meringues all into one. The flavor possibilities are endless.

chocolate_meringue_cookies Follow Me on Pinterest

I think I can go ahead and cross meringue cookies off my list of non-vegan foods I miss.

vegan_meringue_cookies Follow Me on Pinterest

Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: about 20 cookies
  • 3 Tbs. Ener-G Egg Replacer
  • ½ C. Water
  • ¼ C. Granulated Sugar
  • ¼ C. Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Tsp. Mint Extract
  • ½ Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
  • ⅓ C. Chocolate Chips, chopped (mini chocolate chips would be perfect)
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
  3. In a stand mixer, combine the egg replacer and water. Slowly turn the mixer up to the highest setting and whip for 5 minutes.
  4. Keeping the mixer on high, slowly sprinkle in the sugar and continue to whip for 5 more minutes. The mixture will significantly increase in volume, resembling fluffy egg whites.
  5. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the cocoa powder.
  6. Once combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  7. Add the mint and vanilla extracts and pieces of chocolate chips and using a spatula, gently fold to combine.
  8. Using a cookie dough scoop or heaping tablespoons, drop the fluffy mixture onto your prepared baking sheet. You do not need to leave a lot of space between each cookie, but they should not be touching.
  9. Bake for 35 minutes, keeping a close eye on the cookies after about 30 minutes to make sure the edges don't burn.
  10. Turn off the oven and allow the cookies to stay there until the oven has cooled. This will help them to dry out and create a perfectly crispy texture.
  11. Store in a tupperware at room temperature.

Are there foods that you refrain from eating (for personal, ethical, or other reasons), but that you sometimes miss? Do you try to recreate those foods, or do you just replace them with different, but equally delicious choices?

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

These look so fluffy and delicious! I’m actually not usually a huge meringue person but you make these look reallllly hard to pass up :) There aren’t many foods I avoid (well besides fast food and crappy ones) but I’m always game for healthier substitutions when it works!

2. Dylan says

Ah I want cookies and milk…and it’s not even 10am! I’ll admit since going vegetarian I miss anything with a smokey taste. Unfortunately whenever I taste something smokey now I get nervous that it was cooked with meat. Guess I’ll just have to keep to my whiskey!

I think it maybe your mission to kill me with your images and goodies over here….omg, these look amazing! Ok, so I suppose there is no way around the sugar and replacing it with stevia?! UGH, I need these…dang sugar free diet :(

xxoo

haha I think it could be worth a try with the powdered stevia. It could also be a total flop, but you’d only be wasting a few tablespoons of egg replacer. :)

• Tanya says

Just wondering if you ever tried these with the Stevia or any other sugar substitute? I also do not eat sugar. If I give these a try with a sugar substitute, I’ll let you know how they turn out. :)

4. Samantha says

These look delicious! I admire your ambition in not eating animal products! I am not so determined. How many regular egg whites do you think this recipe would need?

Thanks, Samantha! I’m not really sure how many egg whites this recipe would require…maybe enough to replace the 3 Tbs. of replacer + 1/2 C. water? It may not be a 1:1 ratio though. Sorry!

these. look. amazing. Amanda, you are very talented. Seriously, so creative. where did you grow up?

also, would someone tell me what’s up with all of the keyword advertising? is it some sort of new legislation or just google chrome because it’s driving me nuts!

Thanks, Jasper! I grew up in a small town in MA (about an hour outside of Boston), but I was born in NYC and spent the first four years there. I like to think part of NYC stuck with me. haha

What do you mean by the keyword ads? I recently joined BlogHer, and their ads are running on the right side of my blog…maybe that’s it? I also use Google Chrome.

these do look so airy and light.. i need to make me some soon!
    i used to get hit by random cravings once in a while, but now i know i can recreate some of them and some others i dont want anymore.

7. Mary says

I just made some and they were terrible! I don’t know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe step-by-step. They would not get super fluffy. It was more like sticky marshmallow fluff, but more runny. When I put them on the pan, they completely ran flat like pancake batter. :(
    I did use a hand mixer and I don’t have a standing one. So maybe this isn’t the recipe for someone without a KitchenAid standing mixer, huh?
    Any suggestions?

Oh no! Sorry they didn’t turn out well. :( I’ve made this recipe a few times, but I always use my super powerful stand mixer, so I’m thinking that might be the issue. The texture should be really fluffy and hold it’s shape (like in the photos). It’s similar to marshmallow fluff, but it should be thick. My only other thought would be that maybe the egg replacer was expired? Either way, I apologize that the cookies weren’t a success.

8. Joan says

Just found this recipe. It looks soooo good!

Do you think it would work with something like an immersion blender? Thanks

Hi Joan! I don’t own an immersion blender and can’t really say whether that will work. I would tend to think it wouldn’t since the recipe requires turning a stand mixer up to the highest setting for a good five minutes (and my kitchenaid mixer is crazy powerful!).

9. Beth says

These are finishing in the oven and look great. My son is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts so I’m super excited to find an eggless meringue! Have you tried making these in any other flavor? If you took the cocoa powder out would it change the consistency? Thanks for the recipe, glad I found it!

I’m so glad your son will be able to enjoy meringue, Beth! I imagine it must be tricky finding foods that are milk, egg, and peanut-free (especially with cross-contamination). I haven’t tried making the cookies in another flavor, or leaving out the cocoa powder. If you’re up for it, you could try leaving out the cocoa and reducing the water, or finding another dry ingredient to take its place. I think now that you’ve tried the recipe as written and you know what the texture should look like pre-bake, you could play around with the ingredients and flavors a bit. :) Please report back on how everything works out!

Trackbacks

1. [...] into a light and delicate meringue. But thank goodness other people had. These mint chocolate chip meringue cookies have accomplished the impossible and look amazing! Check out these vegan french macaroons. One look [...]