Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins

Juicer Pulp Muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

I think it’s safe to say that I ate more fresh produce last week than any other week in my entire existence. Nearly all of my grocery budget was spent on straight up, whole fruits and vegetables, and as I was trying to cram everything into my fridge, I seriously doubted that two people could eat that much produce in the span of a week.

Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

But when breakfast every morning consists of a smoothie with a whole cucumber, avocado, apple, head of romaine, and broccoli (yes, broccoli -it wasn’t bad), on top of daily green juice, and large salads for lunches and dinners – we nearly cleaned out our fridge by Friday. I was impressed with myself. And I also had an insane amount of leftover juice pulp.

Vegan Mini Muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

I hate wasting food, and although I do feel like we get our money’s worth out of juicing, I wanted to try to use the pulp instead of just throwing it out. I’ve seen quite a few recipes for crackers, but sadly, I do not have a dehydrator (it’s next on my kitchen wish list). Muffins sounded like a good way to incorporate the leftover pulp, and also to use up some of my very neglected gluten-free flour. One taste of the batter and I quickly remembered that it does NOT taste good pre-bake.

Post-bake, on the other hand, these muffins have a satisfying, dense texture and a hint of the fruits and vegetables from the pulp. While I wouldn’t necessarily recommend baking with an all kale pulp, for example, the juicing process really does remove most of the flavors, so I think you could use a wide range of produce when you’re juicing and still end up with delicious muffins.

I used a combination of apple, beet, lemon, and carrot pulp, and baked them in a mini muffin pan to create a naturally sweet snack. The slightly pink color from the beets is just an added bonus.

Healthy Mini Muffins Follow Me on Pinterest

Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Muffins
Serves: 18-20 mini muffins
  • ½ C. Juicer Pulp (I used an apple/beet/lemon/carrot combo)
  • ¼ C. Agave
  • ¼ C. Coconut Oil, Melted (canola would also work)
  • ¼ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1½ C. Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free)
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
  2. In a large bowl, add the juicer pulp, making sure to remove any large pieces.
  3. Add the agave, coconut oil, and applesauce. Stir to combine.
  4. Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
  5. Transfer the batter to the mini muffin pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean when they're done.
  6. Allow to cool slightly, top with a little vegan buttery spread or jam, and enjoy!
I like to use a cookie dough scoop to evenly portion out the batter into the muffin tins. For a little added texture, feel free to fold in ⅓-1/2 C. chopped walnuts after you've stirred in the dry ingredients.

…

What do you do with your leftover juice pulp?

Comments

I don’t have a juicer so I’ve never experimented cooking with juice pulp, but the twins on pure2raw have a delicious looking juice pulp cracker recipe and I think they have an oven bake option as well as the dehydrator. Maybe you can try that option out!

I keep it for a few days with good intentions and then end up tossing it. But now I am going to make muffins for sure, thanks for the idea!

It freezes nicely, and is good to use as long as you give it time to thaw out.

If you juice carrots, one easy thing to do is juice them first and then save and freeze that pulp separately. It’s easy to toss into carrot-cake-type breads. Yum.

I feel like the crazy juice-pulp lady here! Some girls have cats…I have pulp. Lolz.

I make juice-pulp crackers in my oven! In fact, I have some in my oven right now! Basically, I just add about a 1/4 cup ground flax meal, a dash of low sodium soy sauce, a dash of sesame seeds and some spices (whatever I feel like, really. I have fun here!). Then I spread the mixture very thin on a foiled cookie-sheet that I’ve sprayed with some olive oil and put them in for 20 minutes at 350. When the timer goes off, I check on them and if they are pretty close, I turn off the oven and just leave them in there while the oven cools down. They are seriously delicious. I eat a whole batch basically every day. I feel like it’s no big deal because it’s really just fruit/veg pulp, and besides, I really cannot get myself to throw away the pulp. It just feels wrong!

These look delicious, too, though, so maybe I have something new to try…

Gosh. To be honest, I don’t ever measure. I just use the entire batch of pulp from whatever is in my daily juice. I would guess it’s about 1 to 1.25 cups at most. I never pack the juice-pulp down, so it’s hard to know exactly. But, my juices usually have about 6-7 carrots, a few handfuls of baby spinach or a one small beet, half an apple, and an inch of ginger. Does that help at all?

One word of warning: the crackers aren’t the most beautiful things in the world to look at. But boy, they taste good– I promise! I’ve gotten used to some of the odd-ish health foods I eat looking a tiny bit strange, though.

That helps, thanks! And no worries – I will not judge these by how they look. I’m totally used to it with all of the green juice/smoothies I make.

They really are terrible. The first time I used gluten-free flour I considered throwing out the batter because I thought I had somehow botched the recipe!

What a great idea for juicer pulp! I always feel so bad throwing a majority of it away. I saw someone mentioned the Pure2Raw blog already for more ideas, Choosing Raw has also had some great ideas for leftover pulp!

I have been searching for cooking ideas with leftover juice pulp! I have also seen crackers and adding it to rice while it is cooking. I will have to try making these next time. Awesome.

6. Allison says

Would almond flour work instead of gluten free flour? Or regular whole wheat? I don’t have any gluten free in the house right now, but I’d prefer to use almond flour…instead of wheat.

Regular whole wheat flour would definitely work. I’m not sure about almond flour (haven’t tried it, although I want to!). The muffins may not hold their shape as well. If you do end up giving that a try, please report back and let me know if it worked!

7. Donna says

Made these last night, fantastic!! My pulp was a veggie & fruit mix with a little of everything in there so I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. I used brown rice flour because that is all I had on hand but it worked out fine. I put about 16 in the freezer and they are great to take out individually as a snack or part of breakfast, so happy I found this recipe!

That’s great! I’m so glad you like them! I think most juicer pulp will work since a lot of the flavor gets removed during the juicing process.

Is it true that you can substitute oil for more juicer pulp? I have trouble digesting basic household cooking oils and do not have coconut oil on hand. Could I double the amount of pulp and add an EnerG egg replacer?

I haven’t tried substituting the oil for more juicer pulp, although I know you can replace oil with applesauce or mashed banana in some recipes (again, I haven’t tried it in this one). It does tend to change the texture though – it’s often more chewy than crumbly. If you give any of these alternatives a try, let me know how it turns out. :)

9. Shelley says

What about using flax seed meal for an oil replacement? I have seen that used in a lot of recipes as the “oil” substitute….
    By the way, just made a modified version of these using a mixture of dates and almond milk to replace the applesauce and using carrot pulp. I added a splash more almond milk to the batter and then put a date in the middle of each one so when they came out of the oven they had this warm gooey middle. Uh….YUM

I haven’t tried using flax seed meal as an oil replacement, but I’d definitely be interested in giving that a try. Your version sounds awesome – what a great idea to put a date in the middle of the muffins!

10. Ruth says

I made these just now…. OMG! Very delicious, healthy, clean tasting! This is going in my Makealot recipe collection. Thank you, Amanda!!

11. Alana says

I just made these and am obsessed! I forwarded on to several friends. I didnt have a mini- muffin tin so i just made 8 regular sized muffins and they came out great! I had never made anything with the leftover pulp from juicing and was pleasantly surprised. Love this recipe! Great for a breakfast muffin or as dessert.

12. Valerie says

New to the juicing world and desperately wanting to use the pulp for something as I hate throwing it away :). Looking forward to trying this recipe; looks amazing!
    Another way we’ve found to make our dollar, and veggies, go farther is by re-juicing the pulp. I was shocked to see how much additional juice comes out the second time. No idea how this would change the muffin recipes (in regard to the moistness) but we enjoy getting more bang for the buck :D

I started re-juicing the pulp after I read about that in the Crazy Sexy Diet book. I don’t know why it never occurred to me, but it’s definitely worthwhile to take the time to do that. I hope you like the muffins!

13. Sarah says

These are pretty good. I made them this morning and am very pleased with how they turned out. I used regular sized muffin tins so I had to increase the baking time by about 5 minutes. My juice pulp was a mixer of carrot, celery, apple, golden beets, and ginger.

14. Stefany says

Hi – A friend sent me this recipe a while back and I finally made them – they are DELICIOUS!!! It’ll take me a few days to get through them all & I’m wondering if they freeze well, or if I should leave them out (in a sealed container). What do yo do with yours?

I’m so glad you like the muffins! I usually store mine in a glass container on the counter for a few days (they tend not to last very long!), but I think they’ll probably freeze well if you wanted to keep them a while longer.

15. Frappa says

These sound great! I am curious to know whether gluten-free all-purpose flour is as processed as regular white flour? I have seen Bob’s at the store and wondered. Anyway, right now I only have white flour on hand, from our pre-awareness days…..will that work in this recipe? If not, I will just toss it….need to get healthier flour anyway, just don’t bake very often so thought I would use up this old bag if possible. Also, will olive oil work? Thanks!

I think it depends on the flour. Check the ingredients – blends that include chickpea and brown rice flour, for example, are probably more nutritious than white rice flour, potato starch, etc. You can also just mix up a custom blend of your own. :)
      Regular white flour will probably work, as will olive oil, although the flavor will likely be present after baking.

16. jessieaugust says

I found your recipe this weekend and just made my second batch. I used whole wheat flour and because I didn’t have apple sauce, 3/4 c of pulp. Delicious!

17. Aidanmcclean says

Hi, I really like this recipe, but the loaf I made, instead of muffins, turned out dry. Any ideas? Well, and I used honey for the agave and real apples, steamed and mushed, for applesauce. The taste is good with the juicer pulp I used, just dry.

Sorry it turned out dry! I think the type of pulp and also the juicer you’re using will impact the recipe (my juicer’s pulp tends to retain quite a bit of moisture). If you decide to try the recipe again, I would suggest maybe using pulp that’s less dry, or perhaps adding more applesauce.

18. Rachel says

I made these yesterday, and they were great! I used almond flour instead and added one egg. They held together beautifully, so soft!

19. Jema says

Question:
    First time making these. Is the batter suppose to look crumbly? Not sure if I’ve done something wrong here.

Thanks.

Trackbacks

1. [...] I decided to try my hand at juicing some beets, carrots and kale, inspired by a juice I got from a place in Malibu’s Country Mart on Father’s Day weekend. It went okaaaaay, but I knew after using my blender for juicing that I had too much pulp, so I strained the results of my efforts and extracted one and a half cups of beet and carrot pulp (mostly beet pulp).  I felt guilty throwing it out so I googled a recipe for beet pulp after juicing.  Turns out, there are many to choose from.  Here’s the one I went with: http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2012/03/16/juicer-pulp-muffins/. [...]