Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins

March 16, 2012

in Breads, Breakfast

Juicer Pulp Muffins

I think it’s safe to say that I ate more fresh produce last week than any other week in my entire existence. Nearly all of my grocery budget was spent on straight up, whole fruits and vegetables, and as I was trying to cram everything into my fridge, I seriously doubted that two people could eat that much produce in the span of a week.

Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins

But when breakfast every morning consists of a smoothie with a whole cucumber, avocado, apple, head of romaine, and broccoli (yes, broccoli -it wasn’t bad), on top of daily green juice, and large salads for lunches and dinners – we nearly cleaned out our fridge by Friday. I was impressed with myself. And I also had an insane amount of leftover juice pulp.

Vegan Mini Muffins

I hate wasting food, and although I do feel like we get our money’s worth out of juicing, I wanted to try to use the pulp instead of just throwing it out. I’ve seen quite a few recipes for crackers, but sadly, I do not have a dehydrator (it’s next on my kitchen wish list). Muffins sounded like a good way to incorporate the leftover pulp, and also to use up some of my very neglected gluten-free flour. One taste of the batter and I quickly remembered that it does NOT taste good pre-bake.

Post-bake, on the other hand, these muffins have a satisfying, dense texture and a hint of the fruits and vegetables from the pulp. While I wouldn’t necessarily recommend baking with an all kale pulp, for example, the juicing process really does remove most of the flavors, so I think you could use a wide range of produce when you’re juicing and still end up with delicious muffins.

I used a combination of apple, beet, lemon, and carrot pulp, and baked them in a mini muffin pan to create a naturally sweet snack. The slightly pink color from the beets is just an added bonus.

Healthy Mini Muffins

Juicer Pulp Mini Muffins
Recipe type: Muffins
Cook time:
Serves: 18-20 mini muffins

• ½ C. Juicer Pulp (I used an apple/beet/lemon/carrot combo)
  • ¼ C. Agave
  • ¼ C. Coconut Oil, Melted (canola would also work)
  • ¼ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1½ C. Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free)
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
  2. In a large bowl, add the juicer pulp, making sure to remove any large pieces.
  3. Add the agave, coconut oil, and applesauce. Stir to combine.
  4. Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
  5. Transfer the batter to the mini muffin pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean when they’re done.
  6. Allow to cool slightly, top with a little vegan buttery spread or jam, and enjoy!
I like to use a cookie dough scoop to evenly portion out the batter into the muffin tins. For a little added texture, feel free to fold in ⅓-1/2 C. chopped walnuts after you’ve stirred in the dry ingredients.

…

What do you do with your leftover juice pulp?

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’ve made pineapple muffins from their juicer pulp before and they came out great. I bet these are awesome. The pulp keeps them so moist. Have a great weekend!

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Pineapple sounds like it would be awesome! Enjoy your weekend!

katie @KatieDid March 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I don’t have a juicer so I’ve never experimented cooking with juice pulp, but the twins on pure2raw have a delicious looking juice pulp cracker recipe and I think they have an oven bake option as well as the dehydrator. Maybe you can try that option out!

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll have to check that out!

Lindsey March 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I keep it for a few days with good intentions and then end up tossing it. But now I am going to make muffins for sure, thanks for the idea!

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

haha I’m guilty of doing that too. :)

Sarah March 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

It freezes nicely, and is good to use as long as you give it time to thaw out.

If you juice carrots, one easy thing to do is juice them first and then save and freeze that pulp separately. It’s easy to toss into carrot-cake-type breads. Yum.

I feel like the crazy juice-pulp lady here! Some girls have cats…I have pulp. Lolz.

Lindsey March 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Not at all, thank for the suggestions! I always feel bad tossing it all out…

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

hahaha Too funny! And I love your suggestion for the carrot pulp! I’m thinking I need to create a new spin on a recipe I posted for carrot cake bread a while back…

Sarah March 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I make juice-pulp crackers in my oven! In fact, I have some in my oven right now! Basically, I just add about a 1/4 cup ground flax meal, a dash of low sodium soy sauce, a dash of sesame seeds and some spices (whatever I feel like, really. I have fun here!). Then I spread the mixture very thin on a foiled cookie-sheet that I’ve sprayed with some olive oil and put them in for 20 minutes at 350. When the timer goes off, I check on them and if they are pretty close, I turn off the oven and just leave them in there while the oven cools down. They are seriously delicious. I eat a whole batch basically every day. I feel like it’s no big deal because it’s really just fruit/veg pulp, and besides, I really cannot get myself to throw away the pulp. It just feels wrong!

These look delicious, too, though, so maybe I have something new to try…

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That sounds awesome! How much juice pulp would you say you use?

Sarah March 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Gosh. To be honest, I don’t ever measure. I just use the entire batch of pulp from whatever is in my daily juice. I would guess it’s about 1 to 1.25 cups at most. I never pack the juice-pulp down, so it’s hard to know exactly. But, my juices usually have about 6-7 carrots, a few handfuls of baby spinach or a one small beet, half an apple, and an inch of ginger. Does that help at all?

One word of warning: the crackers aren’t the most beautiful things in the world to look at. But boy, they taste good– I promise! I’ve gotten used to some of the odd-ish health foods I eat looking a tiny bit strange, though.

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

That helps, thanks! And no worries – I will not judge these by how they look. I’m totally used to it with all of the green juice/smoothies I make.

Shannon March 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I always forget how terrible gluten free batters taste, and try to taste them at work all the time. Oof.

Amanda March 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm

They really are terrible. The first time I used gluten-free flour I considered throwing out the batter because I thought I had somehow botched the recipe!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love this recipe–I’ve been trying to find new ways to use pulp for something dessert-like. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda March 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks, Aylin! Let me know if you give them a try!

Jill March 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

What a GREAT idea!!

Amanda March 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks, Jill!

Taylor @ Nuts for Apples March 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm

What a great idea for juicer pulp! I always feel so bad throwing a majority of it away. I saw someone mentioned the Pure2Raw blog already for more ideas, Choosing Raw has also had some great ideas for leftover pulp!

Amanda March 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, Taylor – I love Choosing Raw!

Kris March 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I just made the muffins. Yummy! Thanks

Amanda March 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I’m so glad you like them!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras March 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Good grief these look fantastic.

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

haha Thanks, Katie!

Heather March 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I have been searching for cooking ideas with leftover juice pulp! I have also seen crackers and adding it to rice while it is cooking. I will have to try making these next time. Awesome.

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I hadn’t heard of adding juicer pulp to rice…interesting idea!

Allison March 23, 2012 at 2:37 am

Would almond flour work instead of gluten free flour? Or regular whole wheat? I don’t have any gluten free in the house right now, but I’d prefer to use almond flour…instead of wheat.

Amanda March 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Regular whole wheat flour would definitely work. I’m not sure about almond flour (haven’t tried it, although I want to!). The muffins may not hold their shape as well. If you do end up giving that a try, please report back and let me know if it worked!

lysa March 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Wow, I love the idea. They have such a nice bright color, they look so yummy!

Amanda March 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thanks, Lysa! The beets give them that pretty pink color. :)

Donna March 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Made these last night, fantastic!! My pulp was a veggie & fruit mix with a little of everything in there so I wasn’t sure how they would turn out. I used brown rice flour because that is all I had on hand but it worked out fine. I put about 16 in the freezer and they are great to take out individually as a snack or part of breakfast, so happy I found this recipe!

Amanda March 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm

That’s great! I’m so glad you like them! I think most juicer pulp will work since a lot of the flavor gets removed during the juicing process.

Kimberly April 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

Is it true that you can substitute oil for more juicer pulp? I have trouble digesting basic household cooking oils and do not have coconut oil on hand. Could I double the amount of pulp and add an EnerG egg replacer?

Amanda April 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I haven’t tried substituting the oil for more juicer pulp, although I know you can replace oil with applesauce or mashed banana in some recipes (again, I haven’t tried it in this one). It does tend to change the texture though – it’s often more chewy than crumbly. If you give any of these alternatives a try, let me know how it turns out. :)

Shelley May 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm

What about using flax seed meal for an oil replacement? I have seen that used in a lot of recipes as the “oil” substitute….
By the way, just made a modified version of these using a mixture of dates and almond milk to replace the applesauce and using carrot pulp. I added a splash more almond milk to the batter and then put a date in the middle of each one so when they came out of the oven they had this warm gooey middle. Uh….YUM

Amanda May 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

I haven’t tried using flax seed meal as an oil replacement, but I’d definitely be interested in giving that a try. Your version sounds awesome – what a great idea to put a date in the middle of the muffins!

Ruth August 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I made these just now…. OMG! Very delicious, healthy, clean tasting! This is going in my Makealot recipe collection. Thank you, Amanda!!

Amanda August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

So glad you liked them, Ruth! And I love that you call it your “Makealot recipe collection”. :)

Ruth August 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

You know, they are pretty darn filling, too. I ate exactly 4, and have not had the usual hunger pangs I have around this time of the day. :-). Kudos!

Amanda August 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Awesome! I’m sure all that fiber in the juice pulp is helping.

Alana October 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I just made these and am obsessed! I forwarded on to several friends. I didnt have a mini- muffin tin so i just made 8 regular sized muffins and they came out great! I had never made anything with the leftover pulp from juicing and was pleasantly surprised. Love this recipe! Great for a breakfast muffin or as dessert.

Amanda October 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked them! I always feel bad throwing out leftover juicer pulp, so this recipe puts it to good use. :)

Valerie November 28, 2012 at 8:00 am

New to the juicing world and desperately wanting to use the pulp for something as I hate throwing it away :). Looking forward to trying this recipe; looks amazing!
Another way we’ve found to make our dollar, and veggies, go farther is by re-juicing the pulp. I was shocked to see how much additional juice comes out the second time. No idea how this would change the muffin recipes (in regard to the moistness) but we enjoy getting more bang for the buck :D

Amanda November 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

I started re-juicing the pulp after I read about that in the Crazy Sexy Diet book. I don’t know why it never occurred to me, but it’s definitely worthwhile to take the time to do that. I hope you like the muffins!

Sarah December 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

These are pretty good. I made them this morning and am very pleased with how they turned out. I used regular sized muffin tins so I had to increase the baking time by about 5 minutes. My juice pulp was a mixer of carrot, celery, apple, golden beets, and ginger.

Amanda December 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m so glad you like the muffins! Your mix of juice ingredients sounds delicious – sweet/earthy/spicy. :)

Stefany January 17, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hi – A friend sent me this recipe a while back and I finally made them – they are DELICIOUS!!! It’ll take me a few days to get through them all & I’m wondering if they freeze well, or if I should leave them out (in a sealed container). What do yo do with yours?

Amanda January 18, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’m so glad you like the muffins! I usually store mine in a glass container on the counter for a few days (they tend not to last very long!), but I think they’ll probably freeze well if you wanted to keep them a while longer.

Frappa February 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm

These sound great! I am curious to know whether gluten-free all-purpose flour is as processed as regular white flour? I have seen Bob’s at the store and wondered. Anyway, right now I only have white flour on hand, from our pre-awareness days…..will that work in this recipe? If not, I will just toss it….need to get healthier flour anyway, just don’t bake very often so thought I would use up this old bag if possible. Also, will olive oil work? Thanks!

Amanda February 3, 2013 at 9:12 am

I think it depends on the flour. Check the ingredients – blends that include chickpea and brown rice flour, for example, are probably more nutritious than white rice flour, potato starch, etc. You can also just mix up a custom blend of your own. :)
Regular white flour will probably work, as will olive oil, although the flavor will likely be present after baking.

jessieaugust March 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I found your recipe this weekend and just made my second batch. I used whole wheat flour and because I didn’t have apple sauce, 3/4 c of pulp. Delicious!

Amanda March 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Good to know the additional pulp in place of the applesauce worked well! I’m glad you enjoyed the muffins. :)

Aidanmcclean April 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Hi, I really like this recipe, but the loaf I made, instead of muffins, turned out dry. Any ideas? Well, and I used honey for the agave and real apples, steamed and mushed, for applesauce. The taste is good with the juicer pulp I used, just dry.

Amanda April 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

Sorry it turned out dry! I think the type of pulp and also the juicer you’re using will impact the recipe (my juicer’s pulp tends to retain quite a bit of moisture). If you decide to try the recipe again, I would suggest maybe using pulp that’s less dry, or perhaps adding more applesauce.

Rachel May 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I made these yesterday, and they were great! I used almond flour instead and added one egg. They held together beautifully, so soft!

Amanda May 8, 2013 at 1:13 pm

That’s great, Rachel! Thanks for taking the time to let me know the muffins were a success. :)

Jamie February 10, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Question: Exactly how thick should the mixture be? Mine came out like damp sand. Is that the right consistency?

Amanda February 11, 2014 at 8:22 am

Your description made me laugh. :) Yes, the batter should be very thick, and the muffins will be rather dense after baking.

Jema February 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Question:
First time making these. Is the batter suppose to look crumbly? Not sure if I’ve done something wrong here.

Thanks.

Jema February 19, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Never mind my question.. Just read the comment above – hehe!

Amanda February 20, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hey Jema! I hope the muffins turned out okay for you! The batter should be very thick.

Jema February 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

Thank you for your reply. They look almost like an apple crumble, but still quite nice! Next time I will add a little less flour. I think they will go nicely with some vanilla ice cream!

Amanda February 20, 2014 at 10:55 am