Tofu Eggless Salad

March 19, 2012

in Main Meals, Soups, Salads & Sides

Tofu Eggless Salad

Egg salad tends to be one of of those polarizing foods, sort of like tuna salad. It’s typically heavy on the mayo and kind of stinky. Not exactly the sort of food you wanted to bring for school lunches as a kid, or on your first day at a new job as an adult. Unless of course you don’t mind being known as that new person who stunk up the break room.

While I’ve never been a huge egg salad fan, it’s the type of thing that I’ll crave every so often. And once that craving strikes, it’s all I can think about. So, needless to say, after a couple of weeks on the 21-day Crazy Sexy Diet cleanse, I was in the mood for something a little more decadent than giant salad bowls and hummus.

Vegan Egg Salad

I was excited to see a recipe in the CSD book for tofu eggless salad and immediately got that once-in-a-while, intense craving for it. The original recipe is fantastic, but I couldn’t resist adapting the proportions, spices, and add-ins, throwing in some salty kalamata olives and a little cayenne to give it some kick. Admittedly, perhaps too much kick. I have a bad habit of losing control of the cayenne container.

Though not an exact match for the real deal, this eggless salad takes on a similar texture and the flavor is spot-on, thanks to the vegan mayo, dijon mustard, and nutritional yeast.

And one of the best parts? No stinky hard-boiled egg smell. Your co-workers will thank you.

Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich

Tofu Eggless Salad
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4-5

• 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
  • ½ C. Vegan Mayonaise (I used Nasoya brand)
  • ½ C. Carrots, grated
  • ½ C. Celery, finely diced
  • ¼ C. Red Onion, finely diced
  • ¼ C. Olives, sliced (I used kalamata, but olives are optional)
  • 3 Tbs. Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbs. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
  • ½ Tsp. Turmeric
  • ⅛ - ¼ Tsp. Cayenne (optional)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. Drain the tofu (no need to press it, just pour out the excess water) and place it in a large bowl.
  2. Using a potato masher or fork, break up the tofu until it resembles the consistency of egg salad.
  3. Add all of the remaining ingredients, and mix until they are well-incorporated.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Enjoy as a sandwich or on top of some chopped romaine!
  6. The tofu salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Go easy on the cayenne - you can always add more, but too much can ruin the entire recipe! Not a fan of olives? Leave them out! Capers, pickle relish, or raisins would also be fun additions.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I LOVE eggless salad and make it all the time! I use almost all of the same ingredients that you listed, except haven’t tried it with nooch. And I use a few drops of hot sauce (which I guess is just like using cayenne!). I also add some fresh dill and/or relish.
Trader Joes sells tofu that comes in a pack that is separated into two mini-packs. That variety is AWESOME for this!

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I haven’t tried that TJ’s tofu yet – I’ll have to pick some up!

Emily Nell March 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This looks delicious! I was a huge egg salad girl before I became a vegan. I’ll try this as soon as I get home for college break!

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks, Emily! Enjoy your break!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau March 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Ahhh, the ultimate comfort food! I’ve seen this done before and have always had it on my list to make it one day. Whaddya know? There’s a fresh block of extra firm tofu in the fridge right now – I think I know what’s for lunch tomorrow!

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I agree – egg salad (even tofu “egg” salad) is total comfort food!

Rhonda March 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I totally forgot about making egg salad with tofu, this recipe looks super tasty. Oh, and I eat a hard boiled egg at work everyday and I know it smells terrible but they are so delicious :)

Ambika March 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This looks wonderful! Would love to try this one!

Amanda March 19, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks, Ambika! Please let me know what you think if you do!

Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshAir March 20, 2012 at 2:23 am

Cool blog! Love the photos, and many of these recipes are right up my alley. I’d also love to hear more about your transition from the 9-5 to full-time blogging. I’m sure you’ve posted about this previously, but I’m super curious to hear about it and how it’s working out. I also love your layout. I’m in the process of a redesign of my site. It was nice to come across yours. Very inspirational!

Amanda March 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks, Grace! I actually haven’t posted much about my transition recently, but here’s a post that may be of interest: http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2011/11/30/one-year-ago/

I’m still freelancing part-time, but it’s allowed me the time (and financial freedom) to blog.

I use Thesis for my layout, by the way. :)

Stephanie @ Mr and Meatless March 20, 2012 at 9:29 pm

That looks amazing! I have a similar recipe of my own for tofu “egg” salad. I find it to be a lot more satisfying that the eggy version. And like you said, less stinky!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

tofu=god sent. looks delicious!

Amanda March 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I agree! It’s so versatile!

Emily March 21, 2012 at 2:29 am

Yum! I actually don’t think I’ve ever had a tofu egg salad that had olives in it. Or maybe I just never noticed them? It sounds amazing though!

Amanda March 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks, Emily! I love the addition of olives in this!

Daily Deal Blog March 28, 2012 at 3:41 am

I love this healthy Tofu Eggless Salad. This looks so tempting! And seems simple, too.

Anne March 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Awesome to find your recipe! I just found out my son is allergic to eggs!! So I am out on the Internet looking for “eggless” recipes. I like this since it looks easy and quicker!! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda March 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This recipe is very easy and you can easily customize it to your taste preferences. :) I hope your son likes it!

Kimberly Roberts June 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

this is AWESOME!!! i am eating it right now!! one thing i really really miss (and sometimes cheat and eat) are eggs!! thanks so much for this recipe!

Amanda June 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’m so glad you like it! I seriously eat it about every other week for lunches and I still haven’t gotten sick of it. My husband is the same way with eggs. Frozen yogurt is my downfall. ;)

Marian July 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I use to buy the seasoning packets but WTF??no more!???I will whip up some but OMG-always with Veganaise!Potatoe salad? Yep!OMG!Veganaise!(should change 94 to 93 Vegan actually! )They are both TDF!(in my case to LIVE for!)just bought some tofu scramble mix a WF today an also FYH havsa TDF vegan ranch dressing. Share Knives over Forks dvd with non vegans pls TY

Thomas August 3, 2012 at 11:27 am

i have made this recipe with real mayo twice now.

this is one of my favorite egg salad recipes and normally i hate tofu but tasty tofu can be with a bunch of seasoning.

Amanda August 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

That’s one of the things I love about tofu – it takes on whatever flavors you use to season it. I’m so glad you like the recipe! :)

Steph August 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I am currently doing the CSD 21 day cleanse and I have to say I have been loving this recipe!

Amanda August 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

That’s great, Steph! This recipe was a staple for me when I was doing the cleanse.

Steph August 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Ha ha me too! What did you think of the 21 day cleanse? So far for me it’s not all that different from what I normally do (aside from the no wine and occasional cup of coffee). Do you feel a big difference when you finished it?

Amanda August 21, 2012 at 8:17 am

I felt noticeably “lighter” at the end of it, and I had zero stomach issues or headaches (which is saying something, because I used to regularly get those). It helped me to cut out convenience foods – cereal, chocolate chips, and I dramatically reduced my processed sugar and gluten intake. These are things that have stuck with me (aside from the occasional indulgence), so overall it was really beneficial.