Creamy Millet Pudding

Millet Pudding Follow Me on Pinterest

Lately, I’ve been on a quest to expand my dessert repertoire a bit. Less all-purpose flour and processed sugar, and more whole foods and natural sweeteners. Reaching for a caramel-like medjool date after dinner instead of a chocolate chip cookie, for example.

One recipe that I recently fell head-over-heels in love with is a raw, vegan chocolate mousse by the lovely Sally of The Spontaneous Hausfrau. Who knew soaked cashews could create the most perfectly rich, yet airy mousse? The only glitch was that I didn’t have a key ingredient – raw cacao powder. Still, I made the mousse anyway, foregoing the cacao and adding in a little extra vanilla. It was fabulous! The flavor reminded me of a decadent rice pudding, and I had to summon all of my willpower to not eat the entire bowl of vanilla mousse in one sitting.

Creamy Millet Pudding Follow Me on Pinterest

While I was successful in my portion control, I could not stop thinking about rice pudding and all of the directions I could go with it. Should I use almond milk? A combination of almond milk and light coconut milk would be even more creamy. Vanilla bean paste was a given, but almond extract would take it over the top. Something about the sweet, comforting smell gets me every time. But what if I didn’t use any rice at all…

Vegan Millet Pudding Follow Me on Pinterest

I honestly lost myself for a solid twenty minutes daydreaming about this simple pudding, and then I had it. Millet pudding. Lightly toasted and fragrant millet in a sweet mixture of almond and coconut milks, with just a hint of cinnamon. This is a dessert that can be enjoyed at breakfast or as an after dinner sweet. Or both. Who am I to judge?

Millet "Rice" Pudding Follow Me on Pinterest

Creamy Millet Pudding

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

An equally delicious spin on rice pudding, perfectly acceptable for breakfast or dessert.
Recipe type: Breakfast or Dessert
Serves: 3-4
  • 4 C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used 2 C. canned light coconut milk & 2 C. unsweetened almond milk)
  • ⅔ C. Millet
  • ¼ C. Agave (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1 Tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste (or Pure Vanilla Extract)
  • ½ Tsp. Almond Extract
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ¼ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Add the millet to a medium pot with a lid, and toast it over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the millet starts popping. The goal is a light toast, so be careful not to burn it.
  2. Once the millet is toasted, add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.
  3. Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
  4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the millet is cooked through.
  5. Serve warm with a sprinkle of chopped almonds.

P.S. You better believe I picked up some raw cacao powder for the cashew mousse later that day. And O.M.G. How have I lived without it for so long? Sally was spot-on when she described the flavor as sexy and intoxicating. I’m obsessed!

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

We are very much on the same page with this recipe, I made a wheatberry pudding that is seriously almost identical ( besides the wheatberry part obviously) to this that I’m posting later this week so I feel like I can attest to the deliciousness! I might try millet next time. It’s a toss up between that and wheatberries when it comes to my favorite grain.

Would you believe I’ve never had millet?? But you better believe I’m fixing that soon.

So glad you like that mousse!! I’m kinda obsessed with it, too – I’m embarrassed to say how many pounds of raw cashews I have in the pantry just for my mousse purposes.

If only cashews weren’t so damn expensive. I think they were close to $8 for a pound at TJ’s?! Worth it, but it pains me a little at the register.

I am so excited to see this recipe because I have been playing around with different grains and substituting them from recipes they normally appear in. Risotto is made from rice but lately I’ve been making it with quinoa… things like that. I’ll try out this recipe once I get myself some millet!

Amanda, I so love your creations. This is 100% a “Lauren” dessert. I LOVE rice pudding, and have attempted to make it myself many times (and it’s been okay… just never stellar). I even tried with coconut milk once. But, I’ve only ever used brown rice. I love the idea of using millet! I think I even have some in my pantry…
    Also, you should come to Blend. Just sayin’.

This is such a nice comment. :) I think we have the same taste in desserts, and I personally think rice pudding is highly underrated. Gina (Running to the Kitchen) mentioned that she’s planning a similar recipe using wheatberries a little later in the week – you should check that out!

I don’t know much about Blend. I’ll have to look into it!

Yum! Both desserts sound so good. I keep intending to buy raw cacao powder, but I never actually do it. Part of the reason is because I’m worried that it will be just like regular cacao powder, which will totally disappoint me. But, it seems from your post that this is not the case. So, I might just click “buy” after all.

I’m not usually a big rice pudding fan, but this dessert sounds so good. I wonder how it would be with farro. I have a jar of it in my pantry and I have yet to use it for something. I think this might be just the thing.

I think the raw cacao is pretty different from regular cocoa powder – it has a much richer flavor. It almost tastes like coffee to me. :)

I’d give the farro a try! That sounds great!

6. Meredith says

Whoa, I must try this! I have several bags of millet but I’m never sure what to do with it aside from tossing some into homemade granola. This sounds wonderful. I have some fresh cardamom pods laying around that would be a nice addition to this recipe.

Wow, that looks super comforting and delicious. Funnily enough I just bought some millet at the natural food store the other day and now I will make this with it. Tomorrow morning!! Can’t wait.

I’ve never had cooked millet (Flour bakery has these “granola bars” that have millet in them but they are just there for crunch) and I was actually on a rice pudding kick last month (before I started a lower carb diet). This looks super fabulous. I’m definitely adding this recipe to my to-try list! :D

I love Flour bakery! Their sticky buns are incredible…so not healthy or vegan, but so, so good! Then again, everything they make is good. :)

Ok, so I made this recipe this morning for lunch. This was the most comforting, nutritious and delicious lunch I have had in a long time. I am still stuffed. I had it with broken cashews (bc that is what I had on hand) and this just took it over the top. Thank you for this yummy recipe.

Love the recipe! I’ve been eating millet my whole life but always as a savoury dish :) Ain’t going to lie but I got excited when I saw that your blog name also had “honey” in it :P Even it has to do with your dog and not “honey” itself ^^

I know what you mean about oatmeal – I ate it for breakfast every single day for a couple of years and then took about a year off. Only recently has it started sounding good again.

Hi :) New to your blog. I’m trying to adapt a healthier lifestyle by exercising and eating good-for-my-body foods! I look forward to trying this and looking through other entries on here.

12. Catherine says

This looks amazing and I actually have all the ingriedients except the almond extract so Ill just use a little extra vanilla Im gunna add cacoa powder to this and yes Amanda Cacpa powder has become my new best friend. I had litterally made myself bed ridden sick from over indulging in refined sugars and candies and raw cacoa and raw agave along with unrefined coconut oil OMG you will NEVER go to the store for dessert again.

Here is a recipe to try and you will have to work with the ammounts as I am a little of this a little of that kinda girl.

Almond/nut candy
    raw cacoa powder
    coconut oil (this works to bind everything so you dont want the recipe runny)
    agave nectar
    unsweetened flaked coconut
    (Raw) almonds or mixture of nuts. keep them raw to lightly salted

in a sauce pan over very low heat melt your coconut oil add maybe 2-3 tBs of raw cacoa powder to your liking and add the coconut and nuts and stir. Once mixed take a parchment lined cookie sheet and spread the mixture out and place in freezer or fridge until hardened.

Note: This makes like a bark style candy the coconut oil keeps it together so this must always be refrigerated or eaten quickly once removed. Also dont spread the mixture to thin on the cookie sheet as once its hardened you will want to have a nice thick piece to eat. I have had extremely picky eaters fall in love with this and I even had a big burly construction worker who wouldnt care if he ate dirt from the ground fall in love with this give it a try!!! Happy Snacking…=o)

Thanks so much for taking the time to write out this recipe! It sounds delicious! I’m a big fan of making homemade chocolate with raw cacao powder, coconut oil, and a little stevia and freezing it. :)

13. Catherine says

I never found stevia to be very satisfying I did make the millet pudding but I used homemade vanilla extract made from 3 whole vanilla beans and a cup of vodka however it wasnt suppose to be fully ready to use for another month or so and it was all I had on hand so I think the pudding would have been better had I had some better flavoring…You learn as you go I suppose by the way your blog name is cute as can be!!! thanks for sharing it with us =o)

14. Angela Ireland says

I made millet for the first time and had the idea of using it for a breakfast topping, but it didn’t work out, it was too crunchy, so I cooked the ground toasted milllet and it tasted reminiscent of rice pudding so I started to look on line to see if anyone else has the idea of making a ‘rice pudding’ with it. I will try the recipe with the whole millet.

I’ve made this a few times and it’s one of my favorite “special” breakfasts! Whenever I have an opened can of coconut milk that isn’t reserved for something else, I make this. So good! I make only half the recipe because I prefer it hot and fresh, but it divides beautifully. Thanks for making millet apart of my breakfast rotation, Amanda!

Thanks for letting me know how much you love the millet pudding recipe, Shannon! It’s been ages since I made it myself and now you have me craving it! :)

Trackbacks