How to Make Kombucha: Growing a SCOBY

PLEASE READ BEFORE GROWING YOUR OWN SCOBY:

I’ve learned a lot about the brewing process over time – how long it takes to get just the right amount of tartness (about 7-10 days for me), how to increase carbonation (add fruit and fill the bottles to the very top) – and I’ve also learned that the resulting kombucha is different depending on which SCOBY you use to brew it. Check out my more recent kombucha post to learn why I now recommend purchasing a Brew Now Kit from Hannah at Kombucha Kamp, rather than growing your own SCOBY from scratch. The kit is also great for beginners because it takes out a lot of the guesswork.

Original Post:

I’ve mentioned it several times on the blog before, but I absolutely love kombucha. Although I am not a fan of beer (unless it’s pumpkin, blueberry, or basically tastes like juice), there’s something about the slightly fizzy, acidic flavor of kombucha that I crave. Unfortunately, regularly drinking it sets me back close to $4/bottle and that adds up really fast. So, like my previous Starbucks habit, I’ve curbed it to a couple of times a month.

My First Batch of Homemade Kombucha Follow Me on Pinterest

{Not photogenic.}

For the last few months, I’ve been really interested in trying to brew my own. The process seemed simple enough, and to be honest – part of me kind of likes the idea of being “that girl” who brews her own kombucha. It one-ups the hippiness factor of things like drinking green juice, eating chia seeds, and using coconut oil as a moisturizer.

Kombucha SCOBY / Mother Follow Me on Pinterest

Kombucha SCOBY. By far, the grossest photo I’ve posted on this blog.

Kombucha SCOBY (aka Kombucha Mother)

Recipe type: Drink
Serves: 1 kombucha scoby
  • 1 Bottle of Raw, Plain Kombucha (I used GT brand)
  • 5 C. Water, divided
  • ⅓ C. plus 2 Tbs. Sugar (I used Raw Turbinado)
  • 3 Bags of Organic Green or Black Tea (or 3 Tbs. looseleaf tea)
  • 1 Quart Glass Jar
  • 1 Gallon Glass Jar
  • Clean Cloth or Paper Towels
  • Rubber Band
  1. Purchase a bottle of raw, plain kombucha with lots of yeast floating at the bottom (those are the weird strands that are a little scary to drink, but the more the merrier in this case). I like the GT Organic Raw Kombucha that you can find at Whole Foods and other health foods stores.
  2. Pour all but 1 cup of the kombucha into a glass - you only need that bottom cup with all of the strings of yeast to grow your scoby. The rest you can drink! Think of it as a little instant gratification before your patience gets tested these next couple of weeks.
  3. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
  4. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar (I used raw turbinado) to the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
  5. Turn off the stove and add 1 bag of organic green or black tea (or 1 tablespoon of loose leaf tea). I used green tea.
  6. Cover the saucepan to prevent the mixture from evaporating and allow it to come to room temperature. This will take some time, but it's important that the mixture has cooled before moving on to the next step or you'll kill all that good bacteria in the bottled kombucha.
  7. Once the water/sugar/tea mixture has cooled to room temperature, remove the tea bag and pour the mixture into a large glass jar (I used a 1 quart Ball jar). Add to it the 1 cup of reserved kombucha.
  8. Cover the top of the jar with a clean dish towel or 2 layers of paper towels and secure it with a rubber band. This will keep fruit flies and other bugs out, while still allowing air to circulate.
  9. Place the jar in a warm, dark spot (I chose the top, back shelf in my pantry) where it won't be disturbed, and allow it to to sit for about 7 days before taking a peek. You should see a thin, cloudy-looking film growing over the top of the mixture - this is good! It's the baby scoby that will grow into the mother that you'll be using to brew your own kombucha.
  10. Once the film has grown to be about ⅛th of an inch thick, you'll need to feed it again.
  11. This time, boil 4 cups of water, add ⅓ cup of sugar to the boiling water and stir to dissolve. Turn off the stove and add 2 bags of organic green or black tea (or 1 tablespoon of loose leaf tea). Feel free to use a mixture of green and black tea too - some people think this helps with the brewing process.
  12. Cover the saucepan to prevent the mixture from evaporating and allow it to come to room temperature. Again, this will take some time, but it's important that the mixture has cooled before moving on to the next step.
  13. Once cooled, remove the tea bags and transfer the mixture to a large glass jar (I switched from a Ball jar to a 1 gallon biscotti jar that I found at Williams Sonoma for under $20). Add to it the contents of the original 1 quart jar (all of the kombucha liquid and the baby scoby).
  14. Again, cover the top of the jar with a clean dish towel or 2 layers of paper towels and secure it with a rubber band, and return it to the warm, dark spot for another week and a half to 2 weeks.
  15. Once the scoby is ¼ to ½ an inch thick, it's ready to make your first batch of kombucha!
If at any point during the process you notice green mold forming in the mixture, toss it and start over. This can happen when the liquid isn't acidic enough, which is why it's so important to add that full cup of the bottled kombucha. The time it takes for the baby SCOBY to thicken is very much dependent on environmental factors and it's not an exact science. If you find, for example, that the SCOBY reaches ⅛th an inch thickness at 5 days instead of 7, go ahead and move on to the next step.

Next: How to use your kombucha SCOBY to brew your first batch

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

True story: for some reason, kombucha intimidates me! I don’t know what it is but something about drinking an “effervescent tea-based beverage” made with bacteria + yeast freaks me out. Says the girl who loves visualizing the 15 billion probitiotics chomping away at bad stuff in her belly + loves beer. Sometimes I fail to understand myself!

I get it. If I think about it too much, it kind of freaks me out. And the scoby is gross – there’s just no way around that. I’m working on a batch of blueberry kombucha and it’s much less intimidating than looking at it plain (the color is much more appealing). Also, you can use a cheesecloth to strain out the yeast before you drink it if that really bothers you. :)

Glad to know you someone does! Its funny because I absolutely LOVE unfiltered beers (yuuuum) so I feel like kombucha would be right up my alley. I literally picked up and put down a bottle like 15 times at WF yesterday before I was like, “Not today!” I’ll do it eventually (just like with, you know, green smoothies, chia seeds, etc) but will take my sweet time getting there!

PS do you moisturize your whole body with coconut oil?

I like to make a body scrub out of raw turbinado sugar and coconut oil and then use that in the shower, and I’ll use coconut oil on my hands. I like to use jojoba oil on my face. It works well, and I’m paranoid the coconut oil might make me break out. I’ve heard it’s great in place of eye cream though.

Ooooh that sounds sensational. Adding it to the must-try list. I’m paranoid about using any oil on my combination skin… but I will have to add coconut for eye cream. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

• Becky says

coconut oil works well for me as an eye make-up remover; even waterproof mascara – just try not to get it in your eyes – like all removers.

I drink green juice, (sometimes) eat chia seeds, moisturize with coconut oil, anddd have my own kombucha abrewin right now! I’m almost ready to drink it… I tried it yesterday but it had a terrible after taste (not the bitter fermented taste that I love), so I’m waiting another week to give it a try!

Fun! I think I might buy a bottle of the GT stuff just so I can do a taste comparison. I finally tried mine yesterday and it tasted pretty good to me, but a taste test would be fun. Now I’m trying to work on getting it to be more fizzy – apparently that takes place during the 1-3 days that you let it ferment after you bottle it.

Thank you so much for posting this! I love kombucha but have been hearing sketchy things about the products on the market. I’ve been dying to make my own but it seemed so intimidating! Also, I never liked beer either (unless I’m super thirsty), but kombucha just has something about it!

I’m glad you found the post helpful! It’s really not a very complicated process, despite the lengthy instructions. Just a lot of waiting around for the first couple of weeks. :)

YES! I need to do this, like now. I compare my Kombucha habit to Starbucks too (except it’s healthier…) I do stretch out a bottle for 2 days though…
    One of the stores by me had Synergy on sale for $2.89 a bottle yesterday, so I stocked up!
    I hope I actually try this out… can’t wait to see how yours turns out!!

Under $3/bottle?! That’s awesome! I’ve been drinking my first batch over the last couple of days, and while I need to work on getting it to be more fizzy, I think it rivals the store-bought stuff. I’m looking forward to playing around with different flavors!

Wow, looks interesting! I am sure it is delicious on a hot day. I can imagine a cool glass in my hand as I sit on the balcony. :)
    Like you I am not a big beer lover. I can only stomach strawberry or fruit beers also. When I was in Germany, I almost died as my friends there insisted that I drink my steins of biers!! Gosh, I was gagging my entire time there. :)

6. rochelle says

So if i had the plain GT brand like you did above does the process work? or would you not reccomend it at all?

I had no problems growing a SCOBY using the plain GT kombucha, and I’ve been happy with the finished product in terms of flavor. Where it gets a little fuzzy is that the article suggests that brewing from the reformulated bottled kombucha (the GT brand, in my case) may result in a weaker kombucha in comparison to say, a SCOBY that was produced from non-reformulated tea (for example, the SCOBYs that Hannah sells on KombuchaKamp.com, which I believe she grew something like 8 years ago). I’m planning on brewing a batch using one of Hannah’s SCOBYs in the next couple of weeks, and then I’m going to do a taste-test to see if there’s a noticeable difference between the two, and I’ll of course report back on the results. I personally think that growing my own SCOBY has been worthwhile, but I’m curious to find out if it’s even better when I brew from one that’s not from the GT brand. :)

7. Annette says

Thanks for the great enthusiasm and recipe—into my 4th day of letting it “sit”, so can’t wait to taste it!!! I wanted to add that I use organic Argan Oil (Saadia), on my OILY skin, and you know, it actually prevents my skin from getting TOO OILY and with flareups!!! I use it in the morning after I shower/wash my face, and also at night. The inflammation around my chin (adult acne) seems to respond to it very well I might add! Another tidbit, I use grapefruit seed extract (antimicrobial) and Tom’s natural deordorant (without aluminum) and organic baking soda—really does keep the odor and wetness at bay! I’m gonna try the coconut oil instead of Tom’s, and also the one recipe that was given above—THANKS LADIES!!! You gals ROCK! :D

I’ve heard great things about Argan oil! I’m currently using jojoba oil as a moisturizer on my face, and thinking I may try replacing my face wash (Jason Apricot Scrubble) with a jojoba/cane sugar scrub. I’d love to simplify my skincare routine – less products and time!

• Annette says

Don’t know if you have ever used baking soda as an exfoliator, but it also works great on my face—very gentle, but I do tend to use it only twice a week, as my skin sometimes reacts to too much exfoliation! I usually combine the baking soda with Jason products or Dr. Woods Pure Organic Black Soap. :) Happy scrubbing!

• Becky says

One thing that I have found is a great exfoliant is that really fine salt that you get with a nettie pot – I put a little dab of that in my cleanser and exfoliate my face once every two weeks, and actually got compliments on how young my skin looked…and I’m in my 40s.

I’m curious to give the fine sea salt a try. Right now I use Jason’s Apricot Scrubble, but I’m always looking to replace store-bought products with homemade. :)

8. Buch says

Man, I hate to be the one to say this, but you mention by making your own SCOBY you know exactly what went into it. Well, taking someone else’s SCOBY and growing off of that is not creating your own SCOBY. And you really have no idea what went into it; you’re simply using its “babies.”

I was looking forward to learn how to make it from nothing. But I must give props on the awesome site!

I’m glad you like my blog! :) I’m not sure I follow your comment…I initially made my own SCOBY from a bottle of GT kombucha, but later tried a SCOBY from Hannah at Kombucha Kamp. After trying both brews, I found that the SCOBY from Kombucha Kamp produced a superior product, which is why I edited my initial post to reflect that.

• Buch says

I apologize if I sounded rude; that was not the intent. I initially thought it would be a recipe, something along the lines of “1 tbsp of this, 1/2 tsp of this, mix together and let sit in this solution of water, etc.” I didn’t think of it as growing a “mini-SCOBY,” if you will.

However, I never thought of taking the culture out of an already brewed tea and using that to create more. Awesome idea!

• Steph says

It’s dangerous making your own SCOBY… if I’m understanding your post correctly. Because SCOBY is a culture of a specific species the dangerous thing about trying to grow your own SCOBY from nothing is that you don’t know what bacteria and yeast you might be creating. Even the big companies either grew their SCOBY in a lab or got their culture from an original source.

Think of it like creating a cheese or beer. Big companies will protect their yeast or bacteria species because it is particular to the product they are making. Asking someone to teach you how to *actually* grow your own SCOBY is like asking someone to teach you how to make your own blue cheese strand to be just like your favorite brand of blue cheese without using any pre-bought or borrowed strand to start it with. You would just make a cheese solution and then let it sit out hoping it would form into blue cheese…

The OP probably assumed that most people looking for a SCOBY recipe would understand this and this might be why she was confused by your question initially.

Yes, the resulting kombucha is different depending on which SCOBY you use to brew it. It seems like growing your own SCOBY is more difficult than it used to be in the past. Now that the commercially available kombucha teas have been reformulated (due to alcohol content), and many of them contain probiotic supplements, the SCOBYs that you can grow from them often produce a weaker kombucha. Initially, it hadn’t even occurred to me that this would be a potential issue, but it does make sense.

Love your comparison to creating beer or cheese – that’s a great way to think about it!

Thanks, Steph!

Thank you so much for posting this article! I was on a kick about brewing my own Kombucha for a while but was discouraged when I couldn’t find a source to buy a scoby. I am so excited that I can grow my own.

Thanks Again!

Drea

10. Jessie says

I added raw kombucha to the tea and sugar. it has been sitting for about a week. when the Scobey is ready and I remove the baby to make a new batch can I drink the first batch or do I need to toss it?

So I am a lover of kombucha and am just venturing into the growing my own scene. I have been growing from GT’s bottle for about a week and my jellyfish is starting to form. ( I also ordered a scoby from Hannah this morning having read through all your comments and suggestions- hope your an affiliate seller).
    I have a question about the process, when you use the mother to make the batch and the baby grows do you then use the baby next and discard the mother? Seems silky but I didn’t see that answer anywhere yet. I have heard people say that have used the same scoby for years but I have also seen I That it may lose some potency. What’s your thoughts and take please. Thanks in advance!
    Bill

That’s a great question! You use the mother the next time you make a batch, and you can either discard the baby scoby, or save it in a “scoby hotel” as a back-up. Kombucha Kamp has a helpful video explaining this. I’ve only switched to a baby scoby and tossed the mother once, and that was recently when I tried brewing with molasses instead of sugar (the taste was terrible in my opinion!) and the mother got all discolored. I think you can play it by ear with regard to when to switch to a new scoby, but Hannah’s site probably has more specific guidelines on this as well.

Good luck! :)

You sure give detailed instructions. I like using the GT kombucha too. I have been doing this for about 18 months and I share the scobies with friends.

Unfortunately, the flavored kombucha probably will not work. I actually no longer recommend brewing from store-bought kombucha after learning more about the process. You can read more about my thoughts on that here.

13. Patrick says

I just started my first scoby and very excited to save money. I was reading through the posts down here at the bottom of the page and was trying to look at hannah’s site and its down. Do you know what’s going on?

14. Geoff says

Of all the scoby recipes I’ve read, yours is the most detailed and straightforwardly explained. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

15. Joshua says

GT Raw Kombucha still works, at least for me. Being cold still, it took two weeks to get a nice size SCOBY on top, then it really grew in size in the second container and create a baby.

I used reverse osmosis water, organic black tea, and half a bottle of GT raw which had a nice baby in it already. I used a glass container which I sanitized with a food safe product used in the brewing industry (StarSan). After boiling the water w/ sugar and steeping the tea, I cooled covered to room temp. Dumped it all in, covered with a clean coffee filter, and three weeks later it’s time to rock and roll a large batch.

No substitute for proper sanitation, coming from the brewing world it’s critical.

Your instructions are good. Thanks.

16. Michaela says

I know you said you use coconut oil on your body – I use olive oil and love it. And I use it on my face. Organic, food grade olive oil that you buy at the store. The key is to put it on when your face is still a little damp – it works as a wax/sealant and will trap in moisture. That way your face won’t get greasy. And I never break out. And people are constantly telling me my skin is “glowing.” hell yes it is!! :-)

That’s awesome! A lot of people seem to love olive oil. Unfortunately for me, I had a horrible reaction to jojoba oil earlier this year (and I am still recovering! Truly, truly awful.), so I would be terrified to use it on my face. I do, however, love it in homemade sugar body scrub. I’ll probably do a more detailed post on my skin disaster once I more fully recover.

17. Kayla says

Hi. I’ve been trying to grow my own SCOBY for 7 weeks without success. I’ve followed the directions, but I have only seen a film on the surface. What
    am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hi Kayla, it’s hard to say, but it could be that the kombucha you purchased to grow your own scoby is the problem. My recommendation would be to purchase a high quality scoby instead – which is what I ended up doing (you can read a summary of my experience in this post). I really like Kombucha Kamp for everything kombucha-related and you might want to check out the Brew Now Kit. I used the kit to get started (it takes out nearly all of the guesswork) and the scoby I still use today originated from the one I got in the kit. The kombucha is so much better than the stuff I was trying to make from the bottled GT stuff!

haha You can just peel it away from the container, assuming it’s thick enough and won’t completely disintegrate. :) It’s okay if it tears a little, those things are usually pretty resilient and will grow back.

18. Gabe says

So my wife just pointed out that the carbonation in my kombucha is a result of the bacteria(scoby) expelling gas, or as she likes to say” farting”. Wow she has such a nice way of putting things. She hates the taste of kombucha but I’m totally hooked. Just thought id vent:-) thanks for your help with brewing my own.

hahaha That’s hilarious! Has your wife tried the kombucha with fruit puree? That might be an easier introduction. Or, you could use it to your advantage and just drink it all yourself. ;)

19. Jen says

Thanks for your post! I just grew my first SCOBY and am very excited to try making kombucha. We can usually get it for 2.89 but I’m sure I can make it for much less. Plus, my kitchen is pretty much like a chemistry lab with all the fermentation that happens between yogurt, beer, sauerkraut, and mead, so adding one more thing isn’t too much of a stretch. I appreciated your instructions. I followed them to a “T” and everything worked perfectly.

That’s great, Jen! I’m happy that the instructions were clear.
      That’s so cool that you have a little chemistry lab in your kitchen. Mine looks like I sell appliances between the blender, food processor, juicer, dehydrator…the list goes on!

Great article, I just moved my first baby SCOBY from the quart to the gallon jar per your steps above.

The baby SCOBY is in the middle of the new brew, semi folded. I tried to flatten it out, but not much luck. Does this need to be at the bottom or on top of the tea, or will it start a new SCOBY at the top altogether? Thanks!

Don’t worry about where the SCOBY is located in the tea – sometimes they sink to the bottom and other times they float near the top. The new baby SCOBY will form at the very top of the liquid regardless (it will always form right at the surface). Hope this helps!

When I make mine, the new baby SCOBY usually grows right on top of the original SCOBY and then I use both in the next batch. I typically only toss the original when it gets really old and discolored, or when enough baby SCOBYs have built up over time that it gets overly thick.
          You will probably want to save the original for use next time, since it will be more mature. Or you can always use both in the next batch, or take the baby SCOBY, put it in a glass jar with enough plain kombucha to cover it and close the jar with a lid – this can be stored in a dark pantry as a backup in case something happens to the original. :)

• nancy says

Ok, I remember this one about your using both in the next batch until it becomes discolored. This is why the other post was confusing. The options you talk about on this post make sense, as it isn’t rocket science but an old process. If it looks bad, then throw it out…

Ooh nevermind, I just read your reply to someone from almost a year ago, you use the baby and can either store or toss the mother.

Thanks!

• nancy says

I guess I’m confused as to how you know the baby from the mother :) it sounded easy until that one came up…I appreciate your information, you directions are the easiest that I have found online. Some folks make it so complicated even though it’s an ancient process from times in which things might not have been so clean nor available.

21. nancy says

I too like the brand from the store that are talking about, esp the ginger/lemon one (no added sugar to flavor, have to watch out for those…) Is there any way to make a smaller amount? I’m in a small condo and don’t have room for a large biscotti-type jar to sit anywhere. Also, can’t it be stored in the fridge when done? I Thank you–

Hi Nancy, I think you could scale down the recipe to a size that works for you. And yes, once the kombucha is ready, you can store it in the fridge. :)

• nancy says

Oh, thank you—that was fast! I was reading the posts in the mean time—-I want to make it with lemon/ginger. As for now, I buy the GT, brew some Celestial Seasonings Lemon/Ginger tea, add stevia and dilute the Kombucha with the tea to make it go further.
        Thanks again!

22. nancy says

Now I’m confused after reading the posts—if I use GT Kombucha mother as starter for my own batch, I have to throw it all out so as to have the mother off that batch? Also, would it be the same if using the mother from my bottle of organic cider vinegar? Thank you–

I initially grew a scoby from a bottle of plain GT kombucha, but the results were so-so (you can read about that here). My recommendation is to purchase one from Kombucha Kamp (I started with the Brew Now Kit, but she also sells just the scoby and starter liquid for under $25) – I have nothing but good things to say about Hannah, who runs the site.
      However, if you do decide to grow one from a bottle of GT, you want to grow the scoby and once it’s about 1/8 inch thick, you’ll need to transfer it to a bigger jar with new tea/sugar mixture, and then also pour in the old tea sugar/mixture (this is your “starter liquid”). Hope this makes sense!

23. Alia says

I have read you can get really ill from this home-brewed method and could even die because of bad bacteria and mold that you are unaware of in this tea. Is there any truth to this?

Hi Alia, I’ve read a little about this too, although I think it’s a non-issue the vast majority of the time if you’re careful and smart about home-brewing. It’s so important to sanitize everything when making kombucha at home. The jar, the utensils, your hands…this is also the reason you want to use filtered water for the tea and then boil it for at least five minutes to kill off any potential, harmful bacteria. As far as the mold, that will likely be very obvious if it happens and you’ll want to discard everything and start from scratch. Preventing mold is the reason you need to keep the sweet tea liquid acidic by adding some of the kombucha from the last batch.

• Alia says

Hi Amanda. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Keeping things clean will not be an issue for me. I must admit, I have a bit of the “howard huges” in me. I have been on an organic, natural and holistic journey for the past 20 years and am always willing to try something new. I will definately make this tea and hope it will be a great addition to my healthy diet.

24. Ann says

I want try making kombasha tea, but I live in a warm country, Thailand, I’m worried it will be too warm, 70s are cool here, what do you suggest. Thank you

The heat should simply expedite the fermentation process. For example, when I make kombucha during the summer, it takes 5-7 days. In the winter, it takes more like two weeks.

25. Laura Franklin says

Can you use Red Tea or does it have to have caffeine for it to work? My kids have given up there sodas for Rooibee red tea. They love the flavor so I am hoping I can make Kombucha flavor rooibee. I am about to make my own tonight for the 1st time.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Laura

26. Doc says

Thank you for the instructions to make the scoby! Just one question…I just put the little scoby into a larger jar to continue feeding it and it sunk to the bottom. Is that going to cause a problem?
    Thank you!

27. barb says

I am going to try making this. I love fermented foods, and think this will be good. I have decided to use this as a science experiment with the kids(we homeschool). How much alcohol is in the tea? I certainly don’t want them drinking it if it has alcohol.
    I understand the comment about wanting to make the scoby from “scratch”,instead of getting a start from someone else. I also understand the comment about getting cheese cultures to make cheese with. I did however “catch” my own yeast for sourdough starter; and have been using that starter for about 8 years now. Someone somewhere got the scoby started, and the thought of growing it all by myself is enticing. I will however be using the GT for this first try : )

Hi Barb! I don’t know the exact amount of alcohol (that will depend on the fermentation process), but it should be very low (.5-1%, not more than 3% from what I’ve read).
      I agree with the point you raised about the SCOBY originating from somewhere. I think the takeaway is just to make sure that you’re getting it from a good source! I did notice a difference between the SCOBY I grew from GT and the one I purchased from Kombucha Kamp though. You can read more about that here if you’re interested.
      Happy brewing!

Hi Kris! I assume you mean the bottled kombucha? I initially used 1 Bottle of Raw, Plain Kombucha (GT brand); however you only need the last 1 cup from the bottom of the bottle. I no longer recommend this method though, because the resulting kombucha wasn’t great. You can read my more recent kombucha post to learn more about why I now recommend purchasing a Brew Now Kit from Hannah at Kombucha Kamp, rather than growing your own SCOBY from scratch. The kit is also ideal for beginners because it takes out a lot of the guesswork.

• Kris says

Thanks. I now see GT has only one size and since we’re only using 1 cup, it’s all good. Thanks for the suggestion of a kit. Since there are a couple local places near me with very active kombuchas I’ll still try it from scratch first. Thanks, again.

28. coleST says

Hi, I’m pretty new to brewing kombucha. It took a little while to activate my scoby as m husband likes to keep the temp at 68 :) but have since found a more cozy spot for it. We are on our third batch, including the activating batch. It has had what a believe to be a/the baby. I get confused here as to what do to with it or how to handle it while I’m making the next batch. The original or mother scoby is and has always sunk, so its def not connected as all the articles I’ve read leave me to believe babies form on top of the mother. Is this thinking correct? Since they are separate, do I put both in the next batch? I hope I’ve explained well enough. Thank you!!

Hi there! Sometimes the original mother scoby will sink to the bottom – that’s totally normal. You can simply place both scobys (mother and baby) in your next batch. :)

• coleST says

Thanks so much! However now I think the spot I saw was a mold spot. I took it out, touched it and it kinda poofed with a dust and had a greenish tone. Since it wasn’t touching the actual scoby do I still have to throw that out too? :(

Bummer! Yes, throw the whole batch (liquid & scobys) in the trash. It’s not worth the risk if you even suspect there’s mold. I haven’t dealt with mold before (although I did have fruit flies last year – SO GROSS), but that may mean it wasn’t acidic enough. I mention this in some of my posts, but I highly recommend purchasing a starter kit from a site called Kombucha Kamp. Having tried growing my own from a bottle of the GT stuff and using the starter kit, the kit is 100% the way to go. It takes out just about all of the guesswork.

29. Evan says

Finding G.T.’s kombucha really helped me personally, I had spent years living with a growing amount of heartburn. it would wake me up at night consistently. I was going through a half a pack of tums a day, and I could not eat certain things without trouble. A close family member around my age had highly invasive surgery to fix his heartburn troubles. After starting on fish oil and kombucha, and switching to organics I don’t have any stomach troubles. Thank you for this informative post!

30. Mickey says

The first time I tried Kombucha I fell for it! I couldn’t get enough of it, except for the fact it cost so much, that slowed me down. The brand I was purchasing came in many different flavors, but for some reason the green one caught my eye. I lovingly named it “Pond Sludge” as it looked like something I would dredge out of my pond. Thank you for sharing how to grow a SCOBY! Now I can start making my own and start brewing up some of my very own “Pond Sludge”! I guess slimy, nasty, snotty stuff doesn’t really bother me so I’m up for this! I was shopping the local health food store today and they were out of the flavor I enjoy the most. Now I won’t have to depend on them. Thanks again!

I think I know exactly which one you’re referring to when you call it “Pond Sludge” – that was my first kombucha too! I remember bringing it back to work for a meeting and getting some pretty weird stares!

31. Ellen says

I recently grew my own SCOBY this way using 1 cup kombucha and 1 cup sugar tea. Took about 2 weeks at 68-70 F. Tried it with GT Enlighted unflavored bottled as well as Bare Foot fruit flavored on tap. The Bare Foot was slightly more active but both grew well. Currently fermenting one gallon batches with the Bare Foot SCOBY. Takes about 5 days to bottling.

32. Julianne says

I am at Day 7 with my scoby dark pantry storing and I only notice about a dime size of a floater. I used all of the good stuff from a GT Raw Kombucha, raw turbinado, and green tea. It currently is in a quart mason jar with a coffee filter rubber banded on top. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you!

Hi Julianne. :) There are several factors that could be impacting the growth of your SCOBY. Temperature is one (warmer temps will expedite the process). However, it sounds like the bottled kombucha you used wasn’t great. This is a common problem with growing a SCOBY from the bottled stuff and it’s part of why I no longer recommend this method (I tried it initially and the resulting kombucha wasn’t great). You can read my more recent kombucha post to learn more about why I now recommend purchasing a Brew Now Kit from Kombucha Kamp, rather than growing your own SCOBY from scratch. The kit is ideal for beginners because it takes out a lot of the guesswork. Hope this helps! Let me know if you run into any other questions along the way.

33. Christy says

I’ve been wanting to try making my own kombucha for a while but the whole DIY scoby process seemed intimidating. I followed this recipe and it workout out perfectly! By the end of the first 7 days my scoby was closer to 1/3″ than 1/8″ and another week and half and it was a little over 1/2″ thick and ready for me to make my first batch of kombucha. Fantastic scoby recipe!

34. Caroline says

Hi there – am very interested in making Kombucha however I live on an island in the Caribbean and we do not have bottled kombucha to purchase. I also can’t order it in as they would to allow it in the country a starter kit alos might not eb allowed and the cost of shipping and added taxes is not very economical. Does anyone know if there any recipe for making the scoby from scratch from individual ingredients? It must have happened that way initially from a fruit tea with maybe honey that sat and turned into vinegar/wine. Thx :)

35. Casandra says

I have a few questions — If I’m already starting out with a SCOBY, do I just start at the “feeding” it section of this recipe? Also, do I have to transfer the recently boiled tea (once cooled) to a separate glass container before adding it to the brewing glass container? Or can I just move it straight from the pot to the glass container? I guess I’m just confused as to why there are two glass containers involved. Thanks!

Trackbacks