I have been on the biggest smoothie kick these last few weeks. Well, smoothies and milkshakes. I suppose technically you could consider this one a milkshake too because it uses almond milk, but it also has banana so…let’s go with smoothie. This way, if you decide to make it as a mid-morning snack, it’s perfectly acceptable.
Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with having a milkshake at 10am. That actually sounds like a great way to kick off the workweek, no?
In addition to my smoothie obsession, I’ve also been really into almond extract. Is it just me, or is the smell of almond extract one of the best smells on the planet? I think more than most any other extract or spice, almond is probably my favorite. Every time I use it, I consider dabbing a little on my wrists and wearing it as a perfume. Would that be weird?
This smoothie is right on the cusp of decadent milkshake and melty soft serve, but it’s light enough that you can enjoy it sans guilt every day of the week if you choose (I did, and I’m still going strong). Something about the combination of creamy frozen banana and sweet almond extract is totally addictive.
And the fun paper umbrella and hot pink straw? I think I may add them to every beverage moving forward.
- ½ C. Almond Milk
- ½ Frozen Banana
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste (or Pure Vanilla Extract)
- ½ Tsp. Almond Extract
- ¼ Tsp. Xanthan Gum (optional)
- Sweetener to Taste (I used about 5 drops of liquid Stevia)
- Approximately 5-6 Ice Cubes
- Add the almond milk, frozen banana, vanilla, almond extract, xanthan gum (if using), and ice cubes to the blender.
- Blend and add sweetener according to your taste preference.
What’s your current favorite smoothie combination?