Grapefruit Ginger Spritzer

May 16, 2012

in Drinks

I seem to be really into beverages lately, between all of the smoothies, milkshakes, and homemade kombucha. It’s probably a result of the warmer weather and the beginning of the uncomfortably high humidity. Welcome to Boston. Don’t even bother straightening your hair, just embrace the frizz.

Grapefruit Ginger Spritzer

On days when I haven’t been  sipping kombucha after dinner, I’ve been indulging in a cocktail (or two). It’s sort of become a new thing – Aaron wraps up his work and I make us a couple of drinks. We’ve been making mojitos the last couple of weeks, but those started getting a little old, and I’d hate to burn out on them. I don’t want a repeat of the time I ate tofu stir fry for dinner every night for a year and then the thought of it made me nauseas for the next two years. Sad.

Grapefruit Ginger Rum Spritzer

This week I decided to mix it up and make spritzers using the rum I had on hand instead of the more traditional white wine. The name “spritzer” is girly enough, so I figured some hard alcohol was probably necessary for Aaron. He likes his drinks STRONG. I, on the other hand, like them to taste like juice.

I was inspired by my broiled grapefruit with ginger sugar recipe from a while back (so good!), and opted for freshly squeezed grapefruit juice as the base with some ginger juice thrown in as well. It’s sweetened with agave and spiked with rum, then finished with some sparkling water and a sprig of mint. The mint garnish is about the only good thing I’ve been able to take away from watching Paula Deen over the years.

Grapefruit Rum Spritzer

This drink is girly and pretty and kind of tastes like juice, but spicy and strong if you go heavy on the rum. It’s perfect for catching up on the latest episode of Mad Men and hating on Betty. And Roger. And Pete. But not so much on Don this season…at least not yet.

Ginger Grapefruit Spritzer

Grapefruit Ginger Spritzer
Serves: 1

• 2 Ounces Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
  • ½ Ounce Fresh Ginger Juice
  • 1 Tbs. Agave (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1 Ounce Clear Rum
  • Sparkling Water
  • Ice
  • Mint for Garnish (optional)
  1. Pour the grapefruit juice, ginger juice, agave, and rum into a 16-ounce glass.
  2. Fill the glass with ice, then fill to the top with sparkling water.
  3. Stir to combine, garnish with mint, and enjoy!
If you don't have a juicer, you can also finely grate the ginger.

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras May 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This looks fantastic. I am totally making this.

Amanda May 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Let me know what you think of it!

Amy @Macncheesenpeas May 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Yum, this looks so refreshing! perfect for summer!

Faith @ For the Health of It May 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Things are the same way in Orlando. Forget even trying to do your hair, save yourself the time, the damage and the trouble.

Amanda May 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I totally agree. I have family in Florida and as soon as I step out of the airport, my hair just goes to hell. So much better to save the time and just let it air dry and do what it wants.

Michelle Collins May 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

This looks so refreshing! A great cocktail for summer.

Stephanie @ Mr and Meatless May 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Oooh yum! I love mojitos too. In fact, I may just make one after Husband and I play tennis today. I even have everything I need for them!

I do not, however, have grapefruit or ginger, so I’ll have to try this one another time. It sure looks refreshing though!

Amanda May 16, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Tennis and mojitos sounds fabulous!

anda May 16, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This looks fabulous! I love the grapefruit and ginger combination! I was looking for some inspiration since I’m stuck dirnking rose wine for the last couple of months.
I, on the other hand, love the humidity :) It’s still pretty chilly in Toronto these days so I have to wait a bit until frizz days hit this town.

Amanda May 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I visited Toronto a few summers ago and the humidity put Boston to shame! I’m sure frizz days will be there in no time! :)

Simply Tia May 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I loveeeee making cocktails!!! So going to try this one soon. Thanks for sharing an awesome-sounding and refreshing-looking drink!

Amanda May 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, Tia! Let me know what you think if you give it a try!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper May 16, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I absolutely LOVE grapefruit and ginger. This looks like the prefect drink to cool down since the weather is getting warmer.

Amanda May 17, 2012 at 12:10 am

Thanks, Melanie! The grapefruit is really refreshing!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I like the idea of sippin’ on Kombucha like it’s a cocktail. To be honest- if I drink more than a few sips- it gets me buzzed!
The grapefruit drink looks so refreshing! I may have to try it out -sans the alcohol. I’m trying to detox a bit. ;)

Amanda May 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The original kombucha (before they pulled it and reduced the alcohol) definitely used to give me a nice little buzz. Perhaps I’ll be able to re-create that with my home brewing.

The grapefruit spritzer would still be pretty awesome without the alcohol. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Amanda! and what a refreshing looking recipe!

Amanda May 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thanks so much, Averie!

Cadry May 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yum! My mouth is puckering at the thought of grapefruit juice with ginger. The pictures for this post are so pretty! I know what you mean about overdoing it on a food and then taking years to want to eat it again. I have a serious history of doing that.

Emma May 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

This looks heavenly. We’re unfortunately still stuck in the midst of what feels like an extended winter here in London and this might just be the ticket to add a little tropical zest to brighten up a chilly evening. Thanks!

Amanda May 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Sorry about the winter-like weather – the weather patterns are so wonky these days! Definitely make this drink, maybe crank up the heat, and pretend it’s summer. ;)

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen May 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This looks so refreshing!

Erim May 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Looks FAB, but what the heck can I get ginger juice??

Amanda May 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I used my juicer for the ginger, but you could also use a microplane to finely grate it. :)

Liz June 2, 2014 at 9:13 pm

DELICIOUS!!! Hit the spot perfectly! I took the opportunity to use some ginger syrup I had on hand (in place of the ginger juice & agave), and also skipped the water as I had a rough day. So – rum, grapefruit, ginger martini saves the day. Thank you!!

Amanda June 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Awesome! Totally understand skipping the water after a rough day. Ginger syrup sounds really good too!