Watermelon Mojitos

May 23, 2012

in Drinks

Watermelon Mojito

Remember how last week I made those grapefruit ginger spritzers in an attempt to not burn out on mojitos? Well, that mojito hiatus lasted all of about five days.

Simple Watermelon Mojito

You see, I bought a giant watermelon at TJ’s (for only $3.99!). And as I was simultaneously slicing it and eating it (a piece for the tupperware, a piece for my face), I could not stop thinking about how ridiculously awesome it would be to use it in a mojito. Watermelon, mint, lime juice, and rum…it’s cocktail perfection.

Watermelon Mojitos

With watermelon juice somehow all over my shirt and all over Olive’s back, thanks to her permanent residency below my feet when I’m in the kitchen, I immediately got to work on some mojitos. Nevermind that it wasn’t even noon or that I hadn’t showered or changed out of pajamas. It was Sunday. And isn’t that what Sundays are for?

Watermelon Mojito with Agave Simple Syrup

This is perhaps my most favorite homemade cocktail to date. I am obsessed with watermelon, eating it with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every snack in between for as long as the season lasts. I can easily polish off an entire one by myself in the span of a week, much to Aaron’s amazement/disappointment. This mojito is really just another vehicle for my watermelon consumption.

Mojito with Watermelon

Also, I like to think that the hydrating properties of the watermelon cancel out any negative impact from the rum. And it’s a good thing too, because these go down very, very easy.

Watermelon Mojito Perfection

Watermelon Mojito
Recipe type: Drink
Serves: 1

• 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
  • ½ Ounce Agave Simple Syrup (1/2 Tbs. Agave mixed with ½ Tbs. Water)
  • 2 Ounces Clear Rum
  • 3 Ounces Freshly Pureed Watermelon
  • 3 Ounces Sparkling Water
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • Ice
  • Mint for Garnish
  1. In a 16-ounce glass, add the mint leaves and agave simple syrup.
  2. Muddle the mint and simple syrup using a muddler or something blunt, like the end of a large wooden spoon.
  3. Add to the glass the rum, pureed watermelon, sparkling water, and lime juice.
  4. Mix all of the ingredients, then fill the glass with ice.
  5. Top with a sprig of mint and enjoy!
Feel free to adjust the sweetness and the amount of rum, depending on how you prefer your mojito. Your can also sub out the agave for the sweetener of your choice, or use none at all and try extra watermelon instead.

I highly recommend making up a giant pitcher for the long weekend.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Why must you post this for me to see while I’m sitting at my desk at work at 11 am?! I can easily see why this is your favorite cocktail. I’m NOT a cocktail person at all- I always order beer and wine. BUT I love a good mojito or Pimms cup. And watermelon is probably my favorite fruit. Wait- I can’t really say that. It’s tied with about 10 others.
Have you ever dehydrated watermelon? Oh my god- it’s the BEST THING EVER.

Amanda May 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Dehydrated watermelon?!?! Yet another reason I need a dehydrator. I had no idea that even existed!

Lindsey May 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Those looks so good, we are hooked of Grapefruit Mojitos from Iowa Girl Eats and I have been craving watermelon so these will be a summer drink in our house for sure!

Amanda May 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I’ll have to check out that grapefruit mojito recipe – sounds fabulous!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oooh, this is kind of torturous to see at 1pm when you work from home. Good thing there are no watermelons in site!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

*sight*…

Amanda May 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever had a drink during working hours since I started working from home…perhaps I should take advantage of that more often. ;)

Michelle Collins May 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I love mojitos…and watermelon. I’ll definitely need to make some of these this summer!

Lee May 24, 2012 at 2:14 am

This sounds delicious. I will have to make these this summer!

Amanda May 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks, Lee! They’re perfect for summer – light and refreshing!

Lynn May 24, 2012 at 4:25 am

I’M COMING OVER! :)

Amanda May 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm
Aylin @ Glow Kitchen May 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm

im so happy its the weekend. i love fresh homemade mojitos. this is a great twist

Amanda May 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’m so looking forward to a (hopefully!) relaxing weekend. :)

lauren @ the talking kitchen May 25, 2012 at 4:09 pm

These look amazing! Mojitos are my preferred beverage of choice.. these might have to be my summer drink. Thanks!

Mark May 26, 2012 at 12:49 am

wow, those sound good. its a 3-day weekend…hmmmmmmm

Amanda May 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks, Mark! It’s the perfect weekend to sip mojitos. :)

Danielle May 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Hi just wanted to stop by and say I love your blog andsince you said you love watermelons do much I thought u might want to check out my blog at ourhandprints.wordpress.com. I just added a new recipe called watermelons and red onions.

Amanda May 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thanks, Danielle! I’ll check it out!

Mojito lover May 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This is an increbibly delicious mojito recipe – definitely putting it in my mojito recipe book :-)

Jennifer S June 5, 2012 at 4:05 am

Hi there! I came across your blog while looking for a vegan pancake recipe (which I can’t wait to try!) and I saw this under the recent posts and I had to comment! I LOVE watermelon mojitos. I got my first watermelon of the season a few weeks ago and it was a giant. While I was stuffing my bowl (face) with it and wondering what in the crap I was going to do with all of that melon, a light bulb went off that said “Mojitos! Make mojitos with this now!” It also gave me an excuse to cut back my mint plant…And they were fabulous! Can’t wait to check out the rest of your blog! :)

Amanda June 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

Watermelon mojitos are seriously the best. I think it would be in my interests to buy a mint plant too. :)

I hope you enjoy the pancake recipe! It’s one of my favorites.

CarolS June 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Yea, this looks good! Watermelon is in the fridge cut and ready to go! I like the hydrating properties you suggested too! Sounds right to me! lol