Raw Coconut Blueberry Lemon Bars

Coconut Blueberry Lemon Bars Follow Me on Pinterest

We go through a lot of nuts and dried fruit at my house. I eat small handfuls of almonds throughout the day, medjool dates when my sweet tooth gets the best of me, and Aaron snacks on about ten servings of homemade trail mix on any given workday (this is only a slight exaggeration – his metabolism is out.of.control.).

Homemade Fruit & Nut Bars Follow Me on Pinterest

We tend to rotate between the same foods – almonds and dates, sunflower seeds and raisins, cashews and dried cranberries. Rinse and repeat. I can eat the same thing for months on end, but I know Aaron’s sick of something when I start finding Clif bar wrappers in the washing machine, along with the standard doggie poopy bags that we’re constantly carrying with us. Things that I’ve learned: 1. you can never be too prepared when it comes to Olive and 2. I really need to get better about checking pockets before I do laundry.

Raw Dried Fruit & Nut Bars Follow Me on Pinterest

Honestly though, it pisses me off when I find these wrappers, and not just because I’m recovering from a daily Clif bar habit several years ago that’s left me with a hypersensitivity to even the smell of them. It’s more like a combination of being annoyed that we have a fridge and pantry full of good food and also that I generally think I can make a homemade bar that’s a million times more delicious with none of that soy protein isolate crap.

Homemade Larabars Follow Me on Pinterest

So, that’s exactly what I did. Except these bars are more like Larabars in texture, and they happen to be one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations – coconut blueberry lemon. Hey, if I have to clean the food processor, I’ll make what I like.

Fortunately, Aaron is also a big fan. I haven’t done laundry in the last few days, but I feel pretty confident that there won’t be any Clif bar wrappers hidden in his pockets. It’s a good thing too, because I’m 99% sure that I’ll forget to check them in my attempt to balance getting my $2 worth out of the washing machine while still ending up with clean clothes.

Raw Coconut Blueberry Lemon Bars Follow Me on Pinterest

Coconut Blueberry Lemon Bars

Prep time
Total time

Simple ingredients with a texture that's similar to a Larabar, but at a fraction of the cost. These bars can be easily customized to suit your tastes.
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 12 bars, depending on the size of the bars
  • 15 Medjool Dates
  • 2½ C. Raw Almonds
  • 1 C. Coconut Flakes (or Shredded Coconut)
  • 1 C. Dried Blueberries
  • Zest of 3 Lemons
  1. Soak the medjool dates in water for 1 hour, then remove the pits.
  2. Add to the food processor the soaked dates, almonds, coconut, blueberries, and lemon zest.
  3. Process until no large chunks remain (about 4-5 minutes). You may need to occasionally scrape down the bowl.
  4. Using your hands and/or a spatula, press the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan.
  5. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
  6. Bars can be stored in the fridge or the freezer.
If possible, use organic lemons since you'll be using the zest. Organic blueberries are also best, as conventional berries are very high in pesticides.

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

Ha! You’re going to hate part of my blog post today- I got Clif Bars in my Foodie Pen Pal box. :) I rarely eat them (not because I don’t like the taste- I do- but just like what you said, I can make something bigger and better with less sugar and fewer calories), but my husband likes to just grab them to take with him when he’s mountain biking. I always have “emergency” bars on hand (of all different brands), but only resort to them if I am in a rush or running out the door after work to go teach a class and need something substantial.
    Lemon Blueberry is currently my favorite flavor combo. I’ve had it in the form of oats, yogurt, pancakes, granola and muffins (which used coconut flour!) within the last week! You need to try the kind made by Nature’s Indulgence- it’s incredible!
    Your bars definitely look great!

I used to love Clif bars, especially the carrot cake flavor, and I just totally burnt out on them. It’s been several years since I had one, but the thought still makes me a little ill. haha

I really want to try that Nature’s Indulgence granola – it sounds awesome!!

hehe, my husband’s metabolism is the same way. It’s not fair! When he’s not happy with what I’ve sent him for lunch he gets mexican food with coworkers.
    I really, really need to get into the habit of making homemade bars. This looks like a truly yummy flavor combination!

Thanks, Rachel! They’re super easy too. And I hear you on the metabolism envy – my husband basically has to eat constantly in order to maintain his weight!

3. Frederike says

I was looking for a delicious vegan bake, not because I don’t eat eggs or milk, but I like the change and I try to bake things that taste delicious and help keeping your body balanced. Your blog is beautiful and full of recipes I want to try. Thanks for sharing!
    Medjoul dates are always on my list when I visit the farmer’s market, and this seems like a great and yummy way to use some of them.

Thanks so much, Frederike! I also love medjool dates – whether they’re plain or in a recipe. I actually only discovered them a couple of years ago and now I can’t believe I went so long without them! :)

I got a Clif’s bar (white chocolate mac nut) in my vegan food swap that I posted about today. I don’t normally make it a habit to eat these, as I prefer to make my own, but they’re always nice to have on hand for emergencies, like having in your purse for a long day of shopping…nothing worse than low blood sugar in the middle of a store! I’m addicted to making Larabar inspired bites…yours look wonderful and pretty! I love the blueberry and coconut combo…I made similar ones this past week! Oh, and I know what you mean about the checking of the pockets…do you know how many things of chapstick have made it’s way into the dryer…gross!

5. Julia says

Hi Amanda!
    I’ve been guilty of eating the kids cliff bars aka Z bars as a of late. I breastfeeding my new baby boy and I can’t seem to eat enough. I think I’ll make these this weekend to have on hand because I’m practically gagging down the cliff bars. I already plan on hiding them from my husband or they will be gone in a day.

Congrats on your new baby!!! I haven’t had a Z bar in a while, but I used to really like those – much more so than the regular clif bars. I think the coconut blueberry lemon bars would be great to have on hand and they’re really easy to make. Also, if you find that you get sick of the flavor, you can always swap out the blueberries for another dried fruit and play around with different spices. :)

I just bought a container of dates and have been really getting into the raw desserts lately, so this recipe is perfect! Maybe a dumb question, but do you think frozen blueberries would work here?

Not dumb at all! I think frozen blueberries might have too much water for the bars to hold together, but I haven’t tried them and can’t say for sure. Perhaps if you used them, you could store the bars in the freezer to enjoy frozen.

Plain, frozen blueberries are actually one of my favorite snacks (minus the resulting blue teeth). :)

7. Cheryl says

Having decided that of all the Lara Bars flavors my favorite was the Blueberry went on line to see if someone had figured out how to make a homemade version. And you popped right up. These sound wonderful.
    So, where do you get dried blueberries?

8. Sanja says

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for – I like to have a bar as late afternoon snack, but don’t like the price or additives. Going to try these with TJs dried strawberries.
    My fiancée really likes Cliff bars too, especially the peanut butter kinds. Any suggestions on how to incorporate PB into home made bars? Would using PB instead of almonds make it too runny?

You might be able to reduce the almonds and dates and sub in some peanut butter, but I’m not sure of the exact ratios. Perhaps I need to come up with a peanut butter bar? ;)

Trackbacks