Simple Gluten-Free Cornbread

June 6, 2012

in Breads, Soups, Salads & Sides

Cornbread

Okay, so it’s still raining in Boston. The only thing more annoying than the cold, dreary weather is the fact that the two times I have checked weather.com in the last couple of days, it’s told me that it’s currently sunny outside. Seriously?! I mean, I expect that they’ll be off when forecasting for later in the week (it is New England after all), but to not be able to give an accurate forecast for current conditions is something else.

Bitterness aside, the chilly temps have temporarily put my watermelon obsession on hold in favor of comfort foods. Monday’s baked beans were pretty fantastic on their own, but I thought I’d take them to a whole new level of deliciousness and serve them with cornbread. It was the best decision I’ve made all week. <– I don’t know what that says about my week. I’m not going to over-analyze it.

Gluten-Free Cornbread

My very first post on this blog was actually for cornbread, so it holds a special place in my heart. That, and I cringe a little when I look back at the photography. It was by no means bad, but I like to think I’ve made some progress over the last eight months. It’s also a little awkward to re-read my posts for some reason. Kind of like finding an old diary? I don’t know. Hopefully I’m the only one who feels embarrassed for me.

Anyway, I love that original cornbread recipe, but I really wanted to take on the challenge of creating a gluten-free version. Plus, I had a big bag of unopened garbanzo bean flour from my last iherb.com spending spree just begging to be used. I knew that tasting the batter pre-bake wouldn’t be an indication of how the recipe was going to turn out (gluten-free flours tend to taste awful!), so I simply crossed my fingers, put the pan in the oven, and may or may not have eaten a small bowl of baked beans while I waited. A pre-dinner meal, if you will.

Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread

I am so, so happy I got over my fear of gluten-free flours, because this cornbread turned out even better than the whole wheat version. It’s fluffy, yet dense enough to be satisfying, slightly sweet, and it holds together really well – a major accomplishment for gluten-free, vegan baking. Considering it takes just a few minutes to pull together and only requires minimal dish-washing, I definitely see this being on regular rotation.

Vegan Cornbread

Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread
Recipe type: Bread
Cook time:
Serves: 9

• 2 flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flax, 6 Tbs water)
  • ½ C. Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
  • ½ C. Garbanzo Bean Flour
  • 1 C. Finely Ground Cornmeal
  • 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
  • ¾ Tsp. Xanthan Gum
  • ¾ Tsp. Sea Salt
  • ¼ C. Organic Sugar
  • 1 C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used almond milk)
  • ¼ C. Coconut Oil, Melted
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease an 8-inch-square baking dish.
  3. Combine the ground flax seeds and water to make ‘flax eggs’. Stir and set aside for a couple of minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, garbanzo bean flour, cornmeal, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt.
  5. Add the ‘flax eggs’, sugar, non-dairy milk, and coconut oil to the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined (do not over-mix).
  6. Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool slightly, cut into pieces, and serve!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Ewww… sorry the weather has been so stinky! It’s definitely gotten better here after last week’s insane storms!
I’m SUCH a cornbread fan!! I clicked back on your first post- and have to say- your “bad” photography looks much better than what I’ve seen on some blogs that have been around for years!
Gotta be careful of those iHerb spending sprees. I tend to go a little nuts.

Amanda June 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the photography – it’s a constant work in progress!

I always click over to iherb with one or two things in mind and then somehow end up with at least ten items. So fun, but so dangerous!

RawGuru June 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Amanda you are definitely making me crave some corn bread right now! These look epic. Love your blog!

Amanda June 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! The cornbread lasted all of 2 seconds – time to bake some more! :)

Amberly @ The Good Life June 7, 2012 at 5:17 am

Yummmm my mouth is watering! Cornbread is one of my biggest weaknesses! I can’t wait to make this :)

Love your blog! I just discovered it and can’t wait to browse through more!

~Amberly

Amanda June 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, Amberly! I just clicked over to your blog – love the idea to hang potted herb plants on the wall!

Amberly @ The Good Life June 7, 2012 at 5:18 am

Oh, and your header of “Pickles & Honey” is so great – nicely done!!

Amanda June 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thank you! My husband is a designer and he custom drew the font for me. He’s a keeper. :)

Caitlin June 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

dayv and i LOVE cornbread! it has been a challenge to find a reeeally good gluten-free recipe for it. i can’t wait to try your version- it looks amazingly perfect and delicious ;) thanks for deciding to make it gluten-free :)

Amanda June 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thanks, Caitlin! I was really happy with how the texture turned out, and I may even try playing around with the ratios of garbanzo bean and AP GF flour some more next time. Let me know your thoughts if you and Dayv give it a try!

CarolS June 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh yum! This looks good! I think it’s veggie chili and cornbread for dinner tonight…..or maybe lunch!

Amanda June 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Sounds good to me!

CarolS June 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Mmm, so good! The worse part about making it was timing. My timing! It was done before the chili! I had to leave the room or I would have filled up on it before the chili had a chance!
This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Thanks for sharing!

Amanda June 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I’m glad you liked it! I have a bad habit of eating around the edges of the pan if the cornbread is done before whatever else I’m making. I can’t help myself!

CarolS June 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm

LOL that’s what I did! I had to leave the room!

katie @KatieDid June 8, 2012 at 1:33 am

my favorite way to have cornbread is warmed up and pouring some milk over it, sometimes topping it with a bit of jam. So so good, I miss cornbread!

Amanda June 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

That sounds pretty amazing.

Jennifer September 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

This was one of the best corn breads I’ve had.

Amanda September 21, 2012 at 8:11 am

Thank you!! I’m so happy you liked it! It’s my new favorite recipe. :)

Sally October 22, 2012 at 9:31 am

Found your website looking for vegan cornbread. And between the 2 cornbread recipes and the baked beans – Wow! … thanks for the recipes and the courage to blog! (I live in Texas where it is 70 degrees at 8 AM today, and it is hot here for so long that we look forward to being able to cook without heating up the house too much.)

Amanda October 22, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Sally! Those baked beans are so good…your comment is a reminder that I need to make those again soon.
I have to admit, I’m a little jealous of your 70 degree temps (it’s in the 50s in Boston), but I can’t even imagine trying to cook in the Texas heat. I’d probably drink smoothies for most of my meals. ;)

Meaghan November 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Do you think using a cup of the gluten free AP flour and eliminating the garbanzo bean flour would be fine? If so, I can’t wait to make this! :)

Amanda November 12, 2012 at 8:22 am

Yes, that should work! :)

Hope January 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

So very yummy! What a great mix of flours you put together! I used blue corn meal and added a cup of “confetti” chopped poblanos, apples and onion and decreased sweetener to 1T. Thanks so much for a keeper!

Amanda January 19, 2013 at 9:11 am

Glad you liked the cornbread! Your “confetti” additions sound really, really good. I need to remember to try adding some fun additions the next time I make it. :)

SH February 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm

LOVE this blog. I was pretty sure eating vegan and gluten free was impossible and am getting SO bored on my standard rice noodle pasta or brown rice and stirfried veggies. So I’m so glad to find this blog before I faulted back to old bad habits.

And by the way, your post on why you chose veganism is so inspiring. I have been vegetarian and back about 3 times. And this time to finally try and change for good. Hard to retrain yourself when we’re stuck in a culture where majority of our diet consists of meat and dairy. I want to pick up the books you suggested when I’m on verge of being lazy and going back to what’s easier again.

Thank you, thank you.

Amanda February 11, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thank you! Eating vegan and gluten-free certainly has its challenges. I’ll be honest, I was not thrilled when I suspected that gluten was causing me issues and needed to try eliminating it. But now I’m sort of in a groove and it’s getting easier. Eating out, on the other hand, is still a bit rough!
I’m so glad my post on veganism resonated with you. :) I’d also recommend reading The China Study if you haven’t already. That, and Eating Animals will cover the health/ethics sides of veganism pretty well.

Shannon March 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

Very glad I chose your recipe to try- so good! The only thing I did different was I added some organic sweet corn and more sugar. Oh we also drizzled some brown rice syrup on it, we don’t like sweet cornbread do we? When I asked my fiance if he liked the cornbread he said ‘Yeah, are you kidding?’ ‘Not bad for gluten free huh?’ I said.
‘It’s gluten free?! wow-tastes just like regular cornbread!’
And that’s coming from a guy who still sneaks gluten laden, cheese pizza, despite our vegan diet and his lactose intolerance. Thanks again!

Amanda March 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

I’m so glad you guys liked the recipe! I also like sweet cornbread, so your modifications sound great to me! Also, my husband is the same way with pizza. I suck the fun out of it when I tell him I’ll have gf crust and no cheese. :)

Chris November 13, 2013 at 5:44 am

Amanda, I was frantically searching for a vegan gluten free cornbread recipe not expecting much when I finally ran across your blog. I didn’t have sugar or gluten free flour so I used coconut nectar and almond flour as substitutes because how can you ever go wrong with those, right? Wow wow wow is all I can say! Thank you for this recipe, it is so yummy and I’ll definitely be making it again.

Amanda November 13, 2013 at 8:59 am

That’s awesome, Chris! I’m thrilled to know the ingredient substitutions you made worked well! Now I’m curious to try coconut nectar and almond flour… :)