Simple Gluten-Free Cornbread

Cornbread Follow Me on Pinterest

Okay, so it’s still raining in Boston. The only thing more annoying than the cold, dreary weather is the fact that the two times I have checked weather.com in the last couple of days, it’s told me that it’s currently sunny outside. Seriously?! I mean, I expect that they’ll be off when forecasting for later in the week (it is New England after all), but to not be able to give an accurate forecast for current conditions is something else.

Bitterness aside, the chilly temps have temporarily put my watermelon obsession on hold in favor of comfort foods. Monday’s baked beans were pretty fantastic on their own, but I thought I’d take them to a whole new level of deliciousness and serve them with cornbread. It was the best decision I’ve made all week. <– I don’t know what that says about my week. I’m not going to over-analyze it.

Gluten-Free Cornbread Follow Me on Pinterest

My very first post on this blog was actually for cornbread, so it holds a special place in my heart. That, and I cringe a little when I look back at the photography. It was by no means bad, but I like to think I’ve made some progress over the last eight months. It’s also a little awkward to re-read my posts for some reason. Kind of like finding an old diary? I don’t know. Hopefully I’m the only one who feels embarrassed for me.

Anyway, I love that original cornbread recipe, but I really wanted to take on the challenge of creating a gluten-free version. Plus, I had a big bag of unopened garbanzo bean flour from my last iherb.com spending spree just begging to be used. I knew that tasting the batter pre-bake wouldn’t be an indication of how the recipe was going to turn out (gluten-free flours tend to taste awful!), so I simply crossed my fingers, put the pan in the oven, and may or may not have eaten a small bowl of baked beans while I waited. A pre-dinner meal, if you will.

Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread Follow Me on Pinterest

I am so, so happy I got over my fear of gluten-free flours, because this cornbread turned out even better than the whole wheat version. It’s fluffy, yet dense enough to be satisfying, slightly sweet, and it holds together really well – a major accomplishment for gluten-free, vegan baking. Considering it takes just a few minutes to pull together and only requires minimal dish-washing, I definitely see this being on regular rotation.

Vegan Cornbread Follow Me on Pinterest

Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Bread
Serves: 9
  • 2 flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flax, 6 Tbs water)
  • ½ C. Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
  • ½ C. Garbanzo Bean Flour
  • 1 C. Finely Ground Cornmeal
  • 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
  • ¾ Tsp. Xanthan Gum
  • ¾ Tsp. Sea Salt
  • ¼ C. Organic Sugar
  • 1 C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used almond milk)
  • ¼ C. Coconut Oil, Melted
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease an 8-inch-square baking dish.
  3. Combine the ground flax seeds and water to make ‘flax eggs’. Stir and set aside for a couple of minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, garbanzo bean flour, cornmeal, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt.
  5. Add the ‘flax eggs’, sugar, non-dairy milk, and coconut oil to the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined (do not over-mix).
  6. Transfer the batter to your prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool slightly, cut into pieces, and serve!

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

Ewww… sorry the weather has been so stinky! It’s definitely gotten better here after last week’s insane storms!
    I’m SUCH a cornbread fan!! I clicked back on your first post- and have to say- your “bad” photography looks much better than what I’ve seen on some blogs that have been around for years!
    Gotta be careful of those iHerb spending sprees. I tend to go a little nuts.

Thanks for the kind words about the photography – it’s a constant work in progress!

I always click over to iherb with one or two things in mind and then somehow end up with at least ten items. So fun, but so dangerous!

dayv and i LOVE cornbread! it has been a challenge to find a reeeally good gluten-free recipe for it. i can’t wait to try your version- it looks amazingly perfect and delicious ;) thanks for deciding to make it gluten-free :)

Thanks, Caitlin! I was really happy with how the texture turned out, and I may even try playing around with the ratios of garbanzo bean and AP GF flour some more next time. Let me know your thoughts if you and Dayv give it a try!

3. Sally says

Found your website looking for vegan cornbread. And between the 2 cornbread recipes and the baked beans – Wow! … thanks for the recipes and the courage to blog! (I live in Texas where it is 70 degrees at 8 AM today, and it is hot here for so long that we look forward to being able to cook without heating up the house too much.)

Thanks, Sally! Those baked beans are so good…your comment is a reminder that I need to make those again soon.
      I have to admit, I’m a little jealous of your 70 degree temps (it’s in the 50s in Boston), but I can’t even imagine trying to cook in the Texas heat. I’d probably drink smoothies for most of my meals. ;)

4. Meaghan says

Do you think using a cup of the gluten free AP flour and eliminating the garbanzo bean flour would be fine? If so, I can’t wait to make this! :)

5. Hope says

So very yummy! What a great mix of flours you put together! I used blue corn meal and added a cup of “confetti” chopped poblanos, apples and onion and decreased sweetener to 1T. Thanks so much for a keeper!

Glad you liked the cornbread! Your “confetti” additions sound really, really good. I need to remember to try adding some fun additions the next time I make it. :)

6. SH says

LOVE this blog. I was pretty sure eating vegan and gluten free was impossible and am getting SO bored on my standard rice noodle pasta or brown rice and stirfried veggies. So I’m so glad to find this blog before I faulted back to old bad habits.

And by the way, your post on why you chose veganism is so inspiring. I have been vegetarian and back about 3 times. And this time to finally try and change for good. Hard to retrain yourself when we’re stuck in a culture where majority of our diet consists of meat and dairy. I want to pick up the books you suggested when I’m on verge of being lazy and going back to what’s easier again.

Thank you, thank you.

Thank you! Eating vegan and gluten-free certainly has its challenges. I’ll be honest, I was not thrilled when I suspected that gluten was causing me issues and needed to try eliminating it. But now I’m sort of in a groove and it’s getting easier. Eating out, on the other hand, is still a bit rough!
      I’m so glad my post on veganism resonated with you. :) I’d also recommend reading The China Study if you haven’t already. That, and Eating Animals will cover the health/ethics sides of veganism pretty well.

7. Shannon says

Very glad I chose your recipe to try- so good! The only thing I did different was I added some organic sweet corn and more sugar. Oh we also drizzled some brown rice syrup on it, we don’t like sweet cornbread do we? When I asked my fiance if he liked the cornbread he said ‘Yeah, are you kidding?’ ‘Not bad for gluten free huh?’ I said.
    ‘It’s gluten free?! wow-tastes just like regular cornbread!’
    And that’s coming from a guy who still sneaks gluten laden, cheese pizza, despite our vegan diet and his lactose intolerance. Thanks again!

I’m so glad you guys liked the recipe! I also like sweet cornbread, so your modifications sound great to me! Also, my husband is the same way with pizza. I suck the fun out of it when I tell him I’ll have gf crust and no cheese. :)

8. Chris says

Amanda, I was frantically searching for a vegan gluten free cornbread recipe not expecting much when I finally ran across your blog. I didn’t have sugar or gluten free flour so I used coconut nectar and almond flour as substitutes because how can you ever go wrong with those, right? Wow wow wow is all I can say! Thank you for this recipe, it is so yummy and I’ll definitely be making it again.

That’s awesome, Chris! I’m thrilled to know the ingredient substitutions you made worked well! Now I’m curious to try coconut nectar and almond flour… :)

Trackbacks