There was a lot of indulgent eating this past weekend. Between the peanut butter cupcakes with extra frosting I baked for Aaron’s birthday on Friday, the Paula Deen-esque chocolate chip cookies on Saturday, and the boozy sorbet I made yesterday (recipe in the works!), I really, really needed a salad in my life last night.
Tomatoes are finally starting to come into season, and since the basil plant on my porch is actually thriving (small victory!), I knew I wanted to make something that incorporated the two ingredients. I wish I could take credit for combing them with sliced avocado to make a sort of caprese salad with the creamy avocado in place of the mozzarella cheese, but that was all Aaron. He’s a smart guy.
I can hardly consider this a recipe – it’s more of a preparation than anything else – but sometimes it’s the simplest of ingredients and pairings that end up turning out the best.
Flavorful,organic tomatoes, perfectly ripe avocado, and freshly-picked basil, with a touch of really good extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. This vegan take on a classic caprese salad is perfect for summer, and it couldn’t be any easier or more delicious.
- 1 Medium Tomato (I used roma, but I can't wait to pick up some heirloom tomatoes at my farmer's market)
- ½ Avocado
- 6-8 Leaves Fresh Basil
- 1-2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Slice the tomato and avocado into ¼ inch thick slices, and arrange them in a row, alternating between the two.
- Thinly slice the fresh basil and toss over the tomato and avocado.
- Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.
P.S. Don’t forget to enter the Kombucha Kamp $50 giftcard giveaway!