Vegan Caprese Salad

Vegan Caprese Salad

There was a lot of indulgent eating this past weekend. Between the peanut butter cupcakes with extra frosting I baked for Aaron’s birthday on Friday, the Paula Deen-esque chocolate chip cookies on Saturday, and the boozy sorbet I made yesterday (recipe in the works!), I really, really needed a salad in my life last night.

Avocado Tomato Salad

Tomatoes are finally starting to come into season, and since the basil plant on my porch is actually thriving (small victory!), I knew I wanted to make something that incorporated the two ingredients. I wish I could take credit for combing them with sliced avocado to make a sort of caprese salad with the creamy avocado in place of the mozzarella cheese, but that was all Aaron. He’s a smart guy.

Tomato Avocado Salad

I can hardly consider this a recipe – it’s more of a preparation than anything else – but sometimes it’s the simplest of ingredients and pairings that end up turning out the best.

Vegan Caprese Salad with AvocadoVegan Take on a Caprese Salad

Flavorful,organic tomatoes, perfectly ripe avocado, and freshly-picked basil, with a touch of really good extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. This vegan take on a classic caprese salad is perfect for summer, and it couldn’t be any easier or more delicious.

Simple Tomato Avocado Basil Salad

Vegan Caprese Salad

Prep time
Total time

Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 1
  • 1 Medium Tomato (I used roma, but I can't wait to pick up some heirloom tomatoes at my farmer's market)
  • ½ Avocado
  • 6-8 Leaves Fresh Basil
  • 1-2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • Sea Salt & Pepper to Taste
  1. Slice the tomato and avocado into ¼ inch thick slices, and arrange them in a row, alternating between the two.
  2. Thinly slice the fresh basil and toss over the tomato and avocado.
  3. Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.
  4. Enjoy!

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the Kombucha Kamp $50 giftcard giveaway!

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

This is SUCH a good idea! Sometimes simple is best, especially in the summer when produce is at its peak of freshness and flavor. The added splash of balsamic and a good extra virgin olive oil sound divine!

Thanks, Cadry! I’m SO excited for summer produce! My local farmer’s market just opened and I can’t wait to go later this week. There is nothing like a just-picked summer tomato. :)

Thanks, Jennifer! I just clicked over to your site and that chocolate peanut butter freezer fudge sounds divine! Definitely bookmarking it. :)

Amazing! What a great idea for a salad, and a really lightened up version of the caprese. My husband just brought back a bottle of olive oil from Greece, and oh my, it’s so good we’ve been eating it straight up, just drizzled on some crackers. This salad would be a perfect way to use it!

I never really gave much thought to olive oil until this past year, but there’s such a big difference between the good stuff and the cheaper grocery store oils. Definitely worth the splurge!

This looks good but I know nothing about avocado’s. I’ve never had them in any way. I could do fresh tomatoes all day everyday though! lol

I used to work at a fancy country club in Reno where I adored this salad (only it had the classic mozzarella), but I can definitely imagine this being a healthy replacement…especially with a drizzle of balsamic reduction!

Yum!! These photos are amazing, I may just have to go whip this up for lunch. I bought this balsamic glaze from Amazon which is basically a balsamic vinegar reduced so its much thicker. Its fantastic for salads like this. Plus it makes it look super fancy. Speaking of which, its time for me to buy more!

That balsamic glaze sounds so good! I tried to make my own balsamic reduction a while ago but the vinegar kind of burned my eyes – so much of it was in the air!

Thanks, Nikki! I just checked out your blog and your writing is hilarious (and that banana pudding milkshake sounds crazy good)! I’m excited to keep reading!

This is the first time I’ve had success with basil. I ended up buying a small potted plant from WFs and it’s doing surprisingly well -maybe because I have it outside and it gets a decent amount of sun? I have no idea. I just water it every day and hope for the best. :)

What really good olive oil would you recommend? I have been using cheap grocery knock offs and didn’t realize there was such a big difference! I am new to vegan eating and this sounds divine! Thanks!

My favorite is from Boston Olive Oil Company (http://bostonoliveoilcompany.com/), which I believe you can order online. It’s seriously incredible. You could also try asking for recommendations at stores like TJ’s and Whole Foods. I ended up with a pretty decent one from TJ’s based on an employee’s recommendation (I forget what it was called, but it was around $16 for a fairly large bottle).

Thanks, Gena! It’s become a staple for me on days when it’s too hot to throw together anything other than a salad and a smoothie.

7. Katie P. says

So delicious! I made this today and I didn’t want my dish to empty. Had I been home with my ingredients I would have made more (ate at work).

This is a must try!