Cool Ranch Hummus

July 26, 2012

in Snacks, Soups, Salads & Sides

I am really, really excited to share this recipe today. As I’ve mentioned in the past, chickpeas are one of my favorite foods. They’re extremely versatile and can go sweet or savory. You can process them, roast them, throw a handful on salads, sprout them (that’s next on my list of things to try!) – the possibilities are endless. Oh, and they’re also cheap, especially when you buy them in dried form from the bulk bins. However, one thing pretty much never changes – I always make a big batch of hummus for quick lunches and snacks during the week.

Cool Ranch Hummus

The herbs I planted on my porch are doing surprisingly well. Based on my previous lack of ability with basil plants (they turned pale green and bit the dust in a matter of days), this is no small feat. The only problem I have now is that I can’t keep up with actually using them. I know I can freeze some of the herbs for later, but I really wanted to take advantage of them straight off of the plants. There’s nothing like the smell of freshly picked parsley, chives, and mint. I have a moment with that chocolate mint every time I water the plants. It’s fine – the neighbors already think I’m nuts based on the ridiculous things I say to my dogs on our walks.

The chocolate mint didn’t make it into this recipe, but I was able to make a nice dent in the thriving parsley and chive plants. I’m especially proud of those because I grew them from tiny seeds!

Herbs

I veered away from my standard hummus recipe this time, swapping out the lemon juice for apple cider vinegar and tossing in some nutritional yeast for a B12 vitamin boost and a slightly cheesy flavor. It was after I randomly sprinkled in some garlic powder and chopped red onion that I realized I had happened upon my greatest hummus achievement to date.

Do you remember those cool ranch Doritos? I mean, who doesn’t, right? Scary ingredients, no nutritional value, but highly addictive. The flavors in this recipe somehow combine to create the hummus version of those chips. I thought I might just be losing my mind, but I’ve made this recipe three times in the last week and all three times it’s been devoured in one sitting. And not just by myself, I promise.

Cool Ranch Dorito-Inspired Hummus

I took the hummus to our friends’ house last weekend and set it next to a pretty spectacular cheese and fruit plate. Any cheese is tough competition, but this was the good stuff, and I was the only non-cheese-eating person there. To my delight, however, people did try the hummus. I’m sure the first bite was out of courtesy to me, but after that initial taste, the hummus actually sort of stole the show! It was one of my prouder moments in life.

Romaine Wraps with Cool Ranch Hummus

Make. this. now. If it doesn’t change your life, it will certainly improve your week. Just keep some of that fresh mint on hand for later – your friends/co-workers/significant other will thank you.

Cool Ranch Hummus
Recipe type: Appetizer, Main
Serves: 12, ¼ C. sevings

• 3 C. Cooked Chickpeas
  • ¼ C. + 2 Tbs. Water (less if you use canned chickpeas)
  • ¼ C. Fresh Chives, chopped
  • ¼ C. Red Onion, diced
  • 2 Tbs. + 1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbs. Tahini
  • 2 Tbs. Nutritional Yeast
  • 2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley, chopped
  • 1 Tsp. Sea Salt
  • ½ Tsp. Garlic Powder
  1. In your food processor, add all of the ingredients except the red onion.
  2. Process for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides, until the hummus reaches your desired consistency.
  3. Add in the diced red onion and pulse several times until the onion is well-incorporated.
  4. Serve with homemade baked potato chips, as a dip for veggie sticks, on top of a salad, or as a sandwich spread.
Start with ¼ C. of water and add the additional 2 Tbs. one at a time if the consistency is too thick. If you’re using canned chickpeas, you will likely need less water.

Side Note: I feel the need to announce that the tomatoes in the photos are also from a hanging plant on my porch. Sure, I bought the plant almost fully grown, but I’ve kept it alive, even after Aaron dropped it in the parking lot and it fell over on the car ride home.

Kasandra Bracken July 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

I think I much prefer the idea of cool ranch hummus than the same-flavoured doritos ;) Apple cider vinegar is a great idea, esp. if you’re like me and are often hit with the immediate desire to make hummus and no lemons on hand! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

haha Yeah, I think I’m past Doritos too. :)

Amy @Macncheesenpeas July 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

I knew this was going to be a hummus recipe when you hinted about the chickpeas! Haha. this looks awesome though, I always want to make hummus.

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

I do love me some hummus. haha Give this one a try – I pretty much can’t get enough of it. :)

Lauren July 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm

It’s funny how references to indulgent foods (cookie dough, cake batter, ranch Doritos) incites a desire to make whatever dish is being compared. This could be mung beans paired with beets and dog food, and if you say it tastes like Doritos, I’m gonna make it! Thanks for a awesome recipe!

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

hahaha It’s so true! :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

OMG Amanda- I can’t wait to make this!! I’m going to pour some chickpeas in a jar to hydrate right now!!
I have to admit- I was a big fan of Doritos in college. Mostly when I was drunk (which was a lot….)

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Doritos were more high school for me. College was Domino’s and cinna stix. I’m getting a little nauseas thinking about it.

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri July 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I still can not resist regular cheezy Doritos. Ugh. So good. Cool ranch are good too and if that is what this hummus tastes like well then it needs to be injested by me. This one is for sure being bookmarked. btw…I love your subtle humor. I smile periodically throughout your posts b/c I get it and I just wanted you to know! :-)

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

No judgement on the cheezy Doritos. I went through a phase when I was little where I only ate cheese doodles (I still have a soft spot for those), Yoo Hoo, and hot dogs – and the hot dogs were from street vendors in NYC. Somehow I survived. ;)

I’m so happy someone appreciates my sense of humor! I never really know for sure how people are going to read my posts. I’m glad you get it. :)

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri July 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I know I feel the same way about my posts, that’s why I always feel the urge to tell others even though it seems kind of weird. But if I ever feel that way I just think to myself “would I like it if someone did told me this or would I think they are crazytown?” if my answer is yes to the first thought then I go with it! HA! ;-)

Nicole July 26, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I just made this and I’m blown away. Wow… the flavour components are amazing! You are a genius.

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

Yay! I’m so happy you liked it! My goal was to figure out a way to use up my fresh herbs – the ranch flavor was sort of a happy accident.

lauren @ the talking kitchen July 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

ohhh you had me at cool ranch – i can’t wait to make this! don’t worry, talking to your pets is totally acceptable. :)

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 8:06 am

Let me know what you think if you make it! And thanks for the go-ahead to keep talking to my dogs. :)

Sondi Bruner July 27, 2012 at 12:12 am

Oh, man, this takes me back to the 7th grade. Any reason why you pulse the onion at the end, rather than just adding in everything at once?

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 8:08 am

It’s funny because it takes me back to 7th/8th grade too! I pulsed the onion in at the end to give it a little bit of texture, but you can certainly add it in with everything else if you want a smoother hummus.

Kim July 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh this recipe.. love.

I missed reading your blog – I was on a blog hiatus and I’m trying to catch up. I’m Olive’s mama!

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

I was wondering what happened to your blog…glad to know you’re back! I love the new blog name!

Olive is seriously the cutest pug I have ever seen. I kind of want to steal her. ;)

Laura S. July 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

Cool Ranch Dorito-like vegan hummus??? You’re a genius! I cannot wait to try this. Have a party to go to tomorrow and still haven’t decided what I’m going to make…this may fit the bill perfectly. I am hoping it tastes like the Doritos junk-food indulgence without all the junk ingredients!! :-)

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’ll admit that it’s been a while since I ate Doritos, but this hummus definitely has a similar ranch flavor and was a big hit with all of my friends. :)

Michelle Collins July 27, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love hummus…and Cool Ranch Doritos. This looks great!

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Michelle! :)

Sadie July 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I NEED to make this; cool ranch doritos were my favorite. Also, I think I might thin out the hummus and use it as a salad dressing!

Amanda July 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I love your salad dressing idea! I sometimes use hummus in place of dressing, but I never think to thin it out. I’ll have to try that!

Kathy Steger July 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I love hummus and have tried variety of flavors but haven’t had cool ranch hummus yet. Will definitely try making it tomorrow

Amanda July 28, 2012 at 8:22 am

Awesome! Let me know what you think of it! :)

Natalie July 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I cannot wait to try this! I’m addicted to hummus and am always trying new flavours but never thought of Cool Ranch – amazing!

Amanda July 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

It’s my new favorite hummus flavor. :) Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Richa July 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm

awesome! this is such a perfect snack for right now while watching some swim finals!

sara August 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

i loved cool ranch doritos! i’ll be trying this hummus for sure!

Amanda August 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Let me know what you think of it, Sara! I’ve been eating it just about every day for the last few weeks. :)

Stacy August 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I made this recipe last night after much anticipation and I loved it. I think I needed to add a little more liquid (I was worried about adding too much) as it was a little dry but other than that it tasted just like Cool Ranch to me.

Amanda August 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m so glad it lived up to your expectations! Definitely play around with the liquid next time so the texture is less dry. I like a thicker hummus, so I tend to use a little less when I make it.

Fiona Young August 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

This is really yummy! Thank you! I’m going to use it to make hummus quesadillas! I tried to rate this recipe 5 stars but it wouldn’t let me press the last star for some reason. :(

Amanda August 21, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hummus quesadillas sound great! I’ll look into that recipe plugin ratings issue…that’s annoying!

Laura September 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

This sounds amazing! Any tips for making it with premade hummus, such as how much to use? I have a large tub of premade hummus from Costco, and I would love to try and use what I have already! Thanks! :)

Amanda September 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I think you could probably just add the spices to the pre-made hummus (assuming it’s plain) – chives, onion, parsley, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Maybe a little apple cider vinegar if you think it needs some acidity. I hope it turns out well! :)

dixya@food, pleasure, and health May 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

im so so glad I stumbled into this recipe – making it today and surprisingly i have all the ingredients :)

Amanda May 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm

This is probably my favorite hummus to date. I hope you like it as much as I do!

Amelia Katz July 1, 2013 at 9:19 am

Mmmm…I absolutely adore hummus. This one looks particularly precious and delightful!

Amanda July 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thanks, Amelia! It’s still my favorite hummus to date!