Cinnamon Walnut Cashew Butter

Cinnamon Walnut Cashew Butter Follow Me on Pinterest

I think it’s safe to say that my seasonal obsession with cinnamon has officially begun. I basically didn’t touch the stuff these last few months, and now I can’t get enough. It’s only a matter of time before I move the nutmeg and ginger to the front of my spice rack and start hoarding cans of pumpkin.

Walnut Cashew Butter Follow Me on Pinterest

I think it’s also safe to say that August’s vegan food swap treats have created a bit of a nut butter addiction, in addition to further fueling my love for chocolate. I excitedly worked my way through the sampling of Justin’s and Artisana packets, allowing myself just one each day so I could make them last as long as possible. I fully expected the Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter to trump the others, but the Artisana walnut butter was right at the top of my list. In what world do walnuts win over chocolate?

Homemade Walnut Butter Follow Me on Pinterest

I looked over the walnut butter ingredients and I was a little surprised to see cashews, but that’s definitely what sets this nut butter apart. The walnuts give it a lighter texture than an almond or peanut butter, and the cashews lend a subtle sweetness.

Of course, I had to make my own. And of course, I had to use cinnamon. Plus a touch of vanilla and sea salt to really take it over the top.

Homemade Walnut Cashew Butter Follow Me on Pinterest

So simple, yet so good. Justin’s and Artisana are great from time-to-time, but really, there’s no need to spend ten dollars on the fancy brand names when you can make your own (and customize it) in a matter of minutes for a fraction of the price.

Simple Walnut Cashew Butter Follow Me on Pinterest

Grab a spoon.

Cinnamon Walnut Cashew Butter

Prep time
Total time

A homemade version of Artisana's Walnut Butter, dressed up with a touch of cinnamon, vanilla, and sea salt.
Recipe type: Nut Butter
Serves: makes about 1 cup
  • 1½ C. Raw Walnuts
  • ½ C. Raw Cashews
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ¼ Tsp. Vanilla
  • ⅛ Tsp. Sea Salt
  1. Place the walnuts and cashews in your food processor and process for 3-4 minutes, until they form a nut butter consistency.
  2. Add in the cinnamon, vanilla, and sea salt, and process for an additional 2-3 minutes (it should be slightly drippy).
  3. Transfer the nut butter to a jar or tupperware.
The nut butter will harden if stored in the fridge. I recommend warming it slightly before using it. Most nut butters can be stored in the fridge for a month or so, but I can't vouch from personal experience. We tend to eat them in the span of a week.

Comments

I like the idea of doing a cashew/walnut mixture. I’ve done them both separately (and was less excited about the walnut butter); however, it sounds like putting them together really makes something special. Plus, I can imagine that the vanilla and cinnamon almost nudge nut butter into the dessert category. Sounds divine!

The cinnamon and vanilla definitely nudge it towards the dessert category. I think you could also play that up with a teaspoon or two of maple syrup if you wanted something sweeter.

Question: have you ever made nut butter in your Vitamix? I just got mine and oh my goodness it is so wonderful. But when I made my first batch of hummus, I got a bit overzealous and poured in two cans of chickpeas rather than just one. I thought this would be fine, but while the blender took care of the bottom layer of chickpeas, it left the top layer sort of untouched, even with the help of the black prodding stick. I ended up having to add quite a bit more lemon juice to keep things processing. It worked beautifully, but the fact that I had to add even more liquid than I had already added completely deflated my excitement about making homemade nut butters. I am so worried I will burn out the motor that I am afraid even to try it.

I haven’t made nut butter in my Vitamix, but I’ve made raw cheesecake fillings with cashews and other vegan nut-based “cheese”. I’m sure it’s possible, but I would think the food processor would be easier. Keep in mind, I shredded my Vitamix tamper tool the first day I got it (oops!), so there’s that. I got a little carried away with some ice cubes. ;)

i cannot wait to try this! i actually made walnut butter a couple of months ago with just toasted walnuts and sea salt and i HATED it. i couldn’t even force myself to eat it. i was so upset and confused as to why since i LOVE walnuts so much. i think the cashews will definitely make it delicious, along with the cinnamon ;)

I am not the biggest walnut fan. I know, I know. This is bizarre. I don’t dislike them. I just don’t loveee them. There I said it. But cinnamon cashew butter sounds so amazing!

This looks awesome! I can’t wait for fall either. I was actually tempted to make a pumpkin dish last week but thought I should wait until cooler temps. I’ll have to try this nut butter in the meantime!

I am most definitely a lover of cinnamon- year round!! I’ve made peanut, almond, hazelnut and sunflower butters – but never cashew or walnut (and I love the Artisana varieties of each). I need to get crackin’ on that!
    My favorite nut butter that I’ve ever made is peanut-vanilla-honey-cinnamon- it is unreal.
    Have you tried Justin’s Vanilla almond butter? If not, I’ll bring you a packet next month- I stocked up and have about a years’ supply of jars/packets from Colorado (because I’ve never seen it sold anywhere else!)

Peanut vanilla honey cinnamon sounds so, so good! I haven’t tried the Justin’s vanilla almond butter – I would LOVE a packet! I’ll trade you some homemade kombucha. ;)

I love how simple this is! I am not too familiar with nut butters but you have convinced me to get myself acquainted! It sounds wooooonderful with the cinnamon!

I haven’t tried the Artisana walnut butter but I’ve been cradling the Artisana cashew butter, whispering sweet nothings to it, ever since I cracked it open last week. I think I definitely need to make this walnut butter because I have a feeling would be my new lover.

I am a fan of home-made desserts. This recipe will definitely satisfy my sweet tooth. I use cinammon quite a lot especially with rice puddin, apple pie and in tea.

Even though I’m allergic to cashews, I often salivate over recipes containing them. No other nut (or actually, seed) creams up the way cashews do after soaking. Wah! I shall maybe try this with macadamia nuts. I love cinnamon in just about anything sweet….even certain savory dishes!