Beer & Chocolate

October 17, 2012

in Happiness, Other Desserts

Did that title get your attention? I’ll be honest, part of the reason for Monday’s kale salad recipe was because I subsisted on beer and chocolate on Friday, followed by more chocolate on Saturday and Sunday. I think most of the green in my diet came from edible glitter that I dusted on the truffles.

Edible Glitter Dusted Chocolate Molds

Sidenote: I am such a sucker for glitter and sparkles. Even better if it’s hot pink.

But before I get to the chocolate, let’s talk about the beer!

Harpoon Brewery Beer Menu

I (finally!) met up with the lovely Lauren from Oatmeal After Spinning on Friday, along with her awesome husband, Greg. They were in town for a wedding, and so Aaron and I took it as an excuse to take the day off, hang out, and drink some good beer.

Lauren & Amanda

Sam Adams at 12pm on a workday…why not?

Sam Adams Brewery Tasting

I very rarely drink beer because I don’t like the bitterness, and quite honestly, I’d rather drink juice or kombucha or coconut water. However, I do like learning about the brewing process and tasting the different beers side-by-side, and Lauren and Greg are also really knowledgeable about beer. It was fun to hear their thoughts, and I know Aaron appreciated the fact that they were just as excited about it as he was. I was most excited about the Harpoon hard apple cider (aka apple juice) and pumpkin beer (shocking).

Harpoon Pumpkin Beer!

After a great day with Lauren and Greg at Sam Adams and Harpoon, Aaron and I attended a three-hour chocolate making class at Chocolee in the South End. I had purchased the class through a LivingSocial deal last year and completely forgot about it until two days before it expired. Thankfully, Chef Napoli was kind enough to fit us into the next class.

Callebaut Chocolate

There were about 15 people in the class, which was a great size, and we learned everything from the recommended brands of chocolate (we used Callebaut), to the best temperature to store it (room temperature), to how to temper it and prevent it from blooming or seizing.

Pouring Chocolate into Molds

After learning the basics, we then made a plain, cinnamon, and cardamom ganache for truffles, chocolate for coating, and toasted almond bark. There was a lot of sampling going on, and Aaron and I happily left with a better understanding of how to work with chocolate. We also left with two boxes filled with truffles and candies, which I tried to pawn off on my family and Aaron’s co-workers. I love chocolate, but even I had to call uncle after three straight days of it.

Chocolate Truffles

All-in-all, it was a pretty awesome way to spend a Friday. Although, I sure am ready for vegetables this week.

Shannon October 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

I would love to take a chocolate class! It sounds so dreamy.

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

It was a lot of fun! There are a lot of little things I learned that I don’t think I would have picked up on otherwise, too.

Caitlin October 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

how fun! the chocolate making class sounds like such a fun time! was it a vegan friendly experience, or did you work with dairy?

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The chocolate we used was vegan, but the ganache had cream in it, so not everything we made was entirely vegan. I plan on subbing in coconut milk for the cream at home though. :)

Mai-Lis October 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Sounds like a great day! I enjoy the Harpoon cider too! My brother’s roommate works there so he’s always bringing cases when he comes over :)

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Oooh, that must be nice! I was so bummed I somehow missed trying their pumpkin cider, but I’d had my fill of beer by that point. Next time… :)

Mai-Lis October 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

ooh, the pumpkin cider is the best! i tried it this summer before it was released but I haven’t had it since then, haven’t seen it in stores!

Amy @Macncheesenpeas October 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

what a fun day! I always buy groupon/living social deals and then forget about them! haha. Glad you got to sue yours, chocolate making looks amazing!

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’m so bad about buying those deals and forgetting about them!

Michelle Collins October 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love the combination of beer and chocolate! And that chocolate-making class sounds really fun.

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

It was a lot of fun. My arms actually got a little workout from chopping that giant bar of chocolate too – win-win! ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I have to tell you- I think the pumpkin cider was my favorite drink of the day (which totally shocks me!). The stout at Sam Adams was pretty awesome too (though I’m thinking you don’t agree… but I bet Aaron does!).
The chocolate class looks incredible- I’m glad you “suffered” through it after all of that beer. :)
It was SUCH a fun day- and I’m so happy that you guys took the day off work to hang out with us! Let’s do that every Friday, okay? ;)

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I’m sure Aaron agrees with you about the stout. I like to say he loves the palate killers. He’ll drink scotch with dinner if given the chance. ;)
Beer and chocolate Fridays…sounds good to me!

Colette @ JFF! October 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

What an idea.
I’m nuts about sparkly, glittery stuff, too. Just ordered my first jar of edible disco dust. Can’t wait to get it!

Amanda October 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Fun!!! I could see myself putting that on everything. haha

Colete October 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I have a feeling I’ll be wearing more of it than the cookies!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri October 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

that looks like so much fun! I’ve seen some of these on Groupon and I never did it. Now I’m super sad that I didn’t. BOO. I will just live vicariously through you. If you ever need to get rid of any….. ;-)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras October 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Uber jealous. What was shocking about pumpkin beer?