Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Spiced Maple Topping

October 22, 2012

in Breads, Breakfast

Apples

Remember when I finally got my act together and went apple picking a few weeks ago? Well, I was really, really excited to be there and went slightly nuts loading up my bags with as many apples as I could feasibly carry. There were just so many apples – and so many on the ground that didn’t get picked quickly enough. It seriously made me sad, as there are few things I dislike more than wasting perfectly good food.

I made it my personal mission to keep as many apples from hitting the ground that day, and thus, I still had a couple waiting to be put to good use this weekend. They were the Rhode Island Greening variety, which someone at the orchard had told me were ideal for baking because they’re more tart and hold their shape well.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

I didn’t have enough to bake an apple pie, but muffins sounded even better because they meant I wouldn’t have to spend an hour peeling and slicing apples. I don’t know why, but I am particularly bad at peeling fruits and vegetables. You know how some people can peel apples in one beautiful, uninterrupted ribbon? I do the opposite of that. Tiny flecks of apple skin all over my kitchen and I lose about thirty percent of the actual apple in the process. I need help.

Oil-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins

I decided on the classic pairing of apple and cinnamon for the muffins, but jazzed them up a bit with a spiced maple crumble topping. And although it was not my initial intention, the muffins are completely oil-free. I thought about adding coconut oil, but honestly, they don’t even need it.

Vegan Apple Cinnamon Muffins

The crumble topping also uses applesauce in place of butter or oil, which I sometimes do when I’m looking to make a lower-fat granola. Again, it works. The spices provide plenty of flavor and the apples and applesauce create a really great texture all on their own.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Spelt Flour

These muffins are totally my kind of comfort food – classic flavor pairings with a healthy twist. No apple-peeling required.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Rolled Oats

Oil-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Spiced Maple Crumble Topping
Recipe type: Muffins
Cook time:
Serves: about a dozen muffins

For the muffins:
  • 2 C. Spelt Flour
  • 1½ Tsp. Baking Powder
  • ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ½ Tsp. Salt
  • ¾ C. Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbs. ground flax, 3 Tbs. water)
  • ⅓ C. Coconut Sugar (or other vegan sugar)
  • 2 C. Chopped Organic Apples (peeled if you prefer)
For the topping:
  • ½ C. Rolled Oats
  • 2 Tbs. Pure Maple Syrup
  • 2 Tbs. Applesauce
  • ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
  • ¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
  • ¼ Tsp. Ground Ginger
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan, or use silicone muffin liners to keep the recipe completely oil-free, and set the pan aside.
  2. Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flax seeds and warm water. Stir and allow to thicken for a couple of minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the almond milk, sugar, and flax egg.
  4. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until just combined.
  5. Fold in the chopped apple.
  6. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, filling each muffin tin until it's nearly full, and set aside.
  7. Prepare the crumble topping by combining the rolled oats, maple syrup, applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger in a small bowl.
  8. Portion approximately 1 Tsp. of topping on each muffin, and using a spoon or spatula, evenly distribute it across the top. The topping should be slightly wet.
  9. Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  10. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
I like to use a cookie dough scoop to evenly portion out the batter into the muffin tins.

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras October 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

I got a little over-excited when apple picking as well, and have been trying to deal with the alarming amount of apples in my fridge for the past couple weeks. I’ve pretty much just been making copious amounts of applesauce, but this looks like a great way to use up the stragglers.

Mai-Lis October 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm

These look delicious! I might have to make some seeing I have an entire fridge full of apples (I have an apple hoarding issue as well :))

Amanda October 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Let me know what you think if you make them! I’m wishing I had made a double batch… :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I want to go apple picking JUST to make these muffins! They are totally my kind of comfort food too. And I just bought some spelt flour last week- it must be fate!
Your photographs are BEAUTIFUL!

Amanda October 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m really loving the spelt flour recently – the taste and texture is awesome!
Glad you like the photos! It took a while to get the composition right on these, but they ended up being some of my favorite photos to date. :)

Colette @ JFF! October 23, 2012 at 4:18 am

Oh, I can almost smell them fresh out of the oven……

Amanda October 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Baked apples and cinnamon is quite possibly one of the best smells. :)

Patrick October 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

Great recipe Amanda and amazing photos! I really love and appreciate your posts!

Amanda October 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thanks, Patrick!

Andrew Cheon October 25, 2012 at 1:11 am

Hey Amanda! My birthday’s coming up in 11 days, and because I’m still recovering from 4 months of gastrointestinal trauma, icing and traditional cake isn’t going to do me any good – on top of which, I just moved to Korea and all their pastries are CHOCK FULL of butter…
You may well have just saved me from having a cake-less birthday. Thank you so much! (Yes, these muffins shall replace cake. Why not, right?)
Just a few questions – can I use quinoa flour, all-purpose flour, almond flour, whole-wheat flour, or oat flour in place of the unavailable spelt flour? Thanks!
PS; any tips on baking in a toaster oven? I always burn my cookies on the bottom, but can flip them whenever I see fit, whereas muffins… Yeah, you see where this is going!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 8:13 am

Happy early birthday, Andrew! Sorry to hear about your gastrointestinal trauma – that sounds terrible. I hope that you’ll enjoy the muffins! They can definitely replace cake. :) I think as far as flours, whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour will be the closest match. All-purpose flour will produce a lighter, more cake-like texture (but it’s obviously less nutritious). I haven’t used quinoa flour before, but almond and oat flours will make them more dense/heavy. I think it’s probably just a matter of personal preference.
And baking in a toaster oven…hmmmm. I’m not sure. Maybe mini muffins would have less of a chance of burning on the bottom?

Beth February 2, 2013 at 9:24 am

Made these wonderful muffins! My three year old daughter loved the taste. Just the perfect amount of sweetness and the consistency of the muffin is also perfect. Thanks!

Amanda February 2, 2013 at 9:43 am

I’m so glad your family enjoyed the muffins! :)

Tia Camp April 7, 2013 at 3:47 am

These are not bad at all. I love the flax egg replacer! I think it totally beets the other kind I’ve tried. I used organic brown rice flour, because that was all I had on hand. I will have to find some spelt flour and taste/see the difference. This is definitely a recipe I will do again! Thank you so much for posting this one.
Yes, I agree, nothing better than the smell of apples and cinnamon. I have a stewed apple with cinnomon, ginger, nutmeg and a clove almost every morning. It’s the best, especially in the winter. ;)

Amanda April 7, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’m so happy you enjoyed the muffins, Tia! I’ll have to try the recipe with brown rice flour next time. :)