Barley

I’m a planner by nature. I like to do my research, consider all of my options, and take multiple, multiple nights to sleep on things. And even then, it takes me a while to make decisions.

After finding Olive a home that’s a better fit, Aaron and I both agreed that we still wanted a second dog. We were on a waitlist for almost an entire year before we brought Honey into our lives, and so when we decided our next dog would be another puggle, I called Honey’s breeder to once again add our names to the list. Except there wasn’t a list – there were three litters of puppies ready to go home that coming weekend.

Barley 8 Weeks Follow Me on Pinterest

And so, here we are. It wasn’t really planned, but we knew as soon as we held him – this is our dog. He’s sweet, but feisty, and energetic, but loves to snuggle and give kisses.

Barley 9 Weeks Follow Me on Pinterest Barley Playing Follow Me on Pinterest Barley 9 Weeks Sitting Follow Me on Pinterest Barley Jumping Follow Me on Pinterest

We named him Barley, keeping with the whole Pickles & Honey food theme, and also because Aaron loves beer.

Barley Follow Me on Pinterest Barley Treat Follow Me on Pinterest Barley 2 Follow Me on Pinterest

He’s only four pounds now, but already, Barley’s giving Honey a run for her money.

Honey & Barley Follow Me on Pinterest

I’m sure there will be a video of that to come. For now though, I can’t seem to take enough photos.

Barley Licking Follow Me on Pinterest Barley Side Follow Me on Pinterest

Comments

1. Sherry (BTLover2) says

Barley! Congrats!! He’s an adorable little guy! I could look at those pictures all day. What a joy!

Thanks, Rick! Barley is Honey’s half brother (same dad, and their moms are related too)…it’s crazy how much alike they are in terms of personality, play styles, etc. We would love for him to meet Olive when he’s a little older! :)

• Rick says

That’s the same relationship our BCs Myst and Jazz had, same father, different moms. Unlike Barley and Honey, the two were strikingly different. Myst was always a bit timid and a bit slow for a BC. Jazz, on the other hand was a fireball…not afraid of anything and fast as lightning.

BTW Olive is learning how to take a bow and how to do figure eights between my legs. She is loving the clicker.

Oh my gosh, the cuteness! I fully expected this to be a post about barley as in the food, not a puppy! Adorable! You’ve given me puppy fever now. As much as I love her though. I reallllly don’t think I could handle another weimaraner right now. The thoughts of house-breaking in the winter are enough to make me come to my senses :) But I’ll gladly live vicariously through you so post lots of puppy pics!

Yeah, I hear you on the house-breaking. We’re in that phase where he needs to pee every 45 mins and I’m just thankful it’s been relatively warm recently. The last two nights he’s slept through the night though, so that is a major milestone! Nothing like walking a puppy at 3am…I will be SO happy when he’s house-trained!!

3. Carly M says

Oh man, Barley is adorable! And reading the interaction above between you and Olive’s new home melts my heart. It seems like the situation has worked out perfectly for all involved. Congrats on the new addition!

haha You should have seen what it was like with all NINE of his litter mates – I told the breeder I didn’t think I could handle it. It was my version of heaven.

We went through a bunch of names (some food-related, some not) and Barley just felt like the right fit for him. I also like the way it sounds with Honey, our other puggle. :)

You totally need to come back to Boston! He was just 2.6 pounds a couple of weeks ago according to the breeder, and as of his vet appointment last weekend he was 4 pounds. He’s really small, but growing so fast! Both he and Honey were the smallest of their litters. We actually thought Barley was a girl when we first picked him out. haha

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on Barley, he’s absolutely precious! Now I want to have a puppy like him too, but I’ll have to wait until I return to the States next spring.

Many thanks also for your very kind and encouraging reply to my message. I really appreciate it and am going to seriously plan my next move soon. Before long, 2013 will be here and my teaching contract in Saudi Arabia will end.

I just had the opportunity to make your cuke-avocado soup. Oh, be still my heart, it was delish! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Will def make it again. Am also interested in trying your pumpkin protein shake and apple cinnamon muffins recipes, but can’t find some of the ingredients here. (Sob, Sigh, sniffle, sob !) I look fwd to enjoying these treats when I return home.

Have yourself a fabulous weekend and give the adorable Barley a big hug for me.

Ciao!

2013 will definitely be here before we know it! That’s really awesome that you’ve been able to teach in Saudi Arabia, even if you are looking forward to returning to the states and making some changes. I imagine it has given you a completely different perspective on things.

I’m glad you liked the cucumber avocado soup! I was actually hesitant to post that recipe because it’s so simple, but sometimes it’s the really basic recipes that end up being favorites. :)

Thanks, Laura! Barley is great. He’s regularly sleeping through the night and learning to walk on the leash. He also met my parents’ dogs and seems to fit right in with the craziness. :)

Thank you! He’s such a good puppy. :)
      Also, I love your blog! You have a great writing style – I’m really looking forward to reading more! I highly recommend the CSD too. :)

That seriously made me blush! (And if you saw my picture, you know that’s not an easy feat ;) ). I’m newly new to this and hoping it sticks and kind words like yours are greatly appreciated! XOXO, J.

PS. Am a big fan of people like Kris Carr, Sarah Wilson, Mark Hyman, etc. and so enjoy your posts on wellness! :)

Trackbacks