Barley

October 24, 2012

in Puppy

I’m a planner by nature. I like to do my research, consider all of my options, and take multiple, multiple nights to sleep on things. And even then, it takes me a while to make decisions.

After finding Olive a home that’s a better fit, Aaron and I both agreed that we still wanted a second dog. We were on a waitlist for almost an entire year before we brought Honey into our lives, and so when we decided our next dog would be another puggle, I called Honey’s breeder to once again add our names to the list. Except there wasn’t a list – there were three litters of puppies ready to go home that coming weekend.

Barley 8 Weeks

And so, here we are. It wasn’t really planned, but we knew as soon as we held him – this is our dog. He’s sweet, but feisty, and energetic, but loves to snuggle and give kisses.

Barley 9 WeeksBarley PlayingBarley 9 Weeks SittingBarley Jumping

We named him Barley, keeping with the whole Pickles & Honey food theme, and also because Aaron loves beer.

BarleyBarley TreatBarley 2

He’s only four pounds now, but already, Barley’s giving Honey a run for her money.

Honey & Barley

I’m sure there will be a video of that to come. For now though, I can’t seem to take enough photos.

Barley LickingBarley Side

Sherry (BTLover2) October 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

Barley! Congrats!! He’s an adorable little guy! I could look at those pictures all day. What a joy!

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks, Sherry! He is ridiculously cute. :)

Sally October 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

Barley – wow! Makes me smile just to see your pictures.

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

Nothing like a puppy to make people smile. He’s getting lots of attention on our walks. :)

Rick October 24, 2012 at 9:21 am

Congrats to you and Aaron!!! Barley is terribly cute. He’ll have to come and meet Olive someday!

– Rick

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Rick! Barley is Honey’s half brother (same dad, and their moms are related too)…it’s crazy how much alike they are in terms of personality, play styles, etc. We would love for him to meet Olive when he’s a little older! :)

Rick October 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

That’s the same relationship our BCs Myst and Jazz had, same father, different moms. Unlike Barley and Honey, the two were strikingly different. Myst was always a bit timid and a bit slow for a BC. Jazz, on the other hand was a fireball…not afraid of anything and fast as lightning.

BTW Olive is learning how to take a bow and how to do figure eights between my legs. She is loving the clicker.

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:33 am

That is awesome about Olive!! I bet she’s loving the mental challenge and all of the treats that go along with the training!

Caitlin October 24, 2012 at 9:46 am

he is SO CUTE! congratulations ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 24, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh my gosh, the cuteness! I fully expected this to be a post about barley as in the food, not a puppy! Adorable! You’ve given me puppy fever now. As much as I love her though. I reallllly don’t think I could handle another weimaraner right now. The thoughts of house-breaking in the winter are enough to make me come to my senses :) But I’ll gladly live vicariously through you so post lots of puppy pics!

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, I hear you on the house-breaking. We’re in that phase where he needs to pee every 45 mins and I’m just thankful it’s been relatively warm recently. The last two nights he’s slept through the night though, so that is a major milestone! Nothing like walking a puppy at 3am…I will be SO happy when he’s house-trained!!

Michelle Collins October 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh my goddd, I want this dog! So adorable.

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa October 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh my gosh – TOO CUTE! I say this about every breed, but puggles might be the cutest puppies ever.

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I say that too. All puppies are adorable, but there’s just something about that wrinkly puggle face and floppy ears… :)

Carly M October 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Oh man, Barley is adorable! And reading the interaction above between you and Olive’s new home melts my heart. It seems like the situation has worked out perfectly for all involved. Congrats on the new addition!

Kait @ yogabeautylife October 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm

You keep on taking photos all you like because I don’t think we’ll get tires of looking at them!!!! So adorable.

Congrats!

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thank you! He’s getting so big so quickly. I’m trying to enjoy every moment he’s this little. :)

Mai-Lis October 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Holy good lord, is it possible to be any CUTER?? Congrats! Puppies are so much fun :)

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I know, right?! I can’t even handle the cuteness. Puppies are the best. :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras October 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Oh. Good. GRAVY. What a cute little pup!

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm

haha You should have seen what it was like with all NINE of his litter mates – I told the breeder I didn’t think I could handle it. It was my version of heaven.

Kathy Steger @FoodWineThyme October 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm

You pick out the cutest names for dogs. Barley is precious. Enjoy him

Amanda October 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Awwww, thank you. I love the foodie names. :)

Lee October 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

What a cutie!

Megan {Country Cleaver} October 24, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Okay if that isn’t the cutest face EVER I don’t know what is! Arrghhhh puppy FEVER!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 8:15 am

I’m trying to enjoy as much of that little puppy cuteness as possible – he gained a whole pound last week!

Heather October 25, 2012 at 5:53 am

Omg hes sooooooooooooooo cute

Carman October 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

Ridiculously cute!!!

Rhona October 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Ah, I love him. And, his name…Barley. So perfect. Congrats on your new family member.

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks, Rhona! We debated about his name for a while, but it seems like a good fit. :)

Colette@JFF! October 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

You named him “Barley?”
Good god, he’s cute!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm

We went through a bunch of names (some food-related, some not) and Barley just felt like the right fit for him. I also like the way it sounds with Honey, our other puggle. :)

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri October 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

oh man oh man oh man. LOVE him!!! I want to scratch his ears and smell his puppy breath!! Is that gross? I love puppy breath! ;-) CONGRATS!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

hahaha I love puppy breath too!

Kim @ Wonderings October 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

What a cutie! Congrats!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, Kim!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I really can not take the cuteness- especially the photo of the two of them together!! He’s SO tiny!!!
I need to fly back up to Boston right now just so I can witness this!!
CONGRATS on your new fur child!

Amanda October 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

You totally need to come back to Boston! He was just 2.6 pounds a couple of weeks ago according to the breeder, and as of his vet appointment last weekend he was 4 pounds. He’s really small, but growing so fast! Both he and Honey were the smallest of their litters. We actually thought Barley was a girl when we first picked him out. haha

lauren @ the talking kitchen October 26, 2012 at 8:19 am

Cutest dog ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda October 26, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thanks, Lauren! I am totally smitten with him. :)

Corrie Anne October 26, 2012 at 10:10 am

What a beautiful puppy!! Hooray! Congratulations!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health October 26, 2012 at 11:28 am

congratulations on getting such a adorable puppy! Love the name Barley :)

Amanda October 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Dixya! I think he’s starting to know his name now too, so that’s exciting. :)

Ceil October 27, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on Barley, he’s absolutely precious! Now I want to have a puppy like him too, but I’ll have to wait until I return to the States next spring.

Many thanks also for your very kind and encouraging reply to my message. I really appreciate it and am going to seriously plan my next move soon. Before long, 2013 will be here and my teaching contract in Saudi Arabia will end.

I just had the opportunity to make your cuke-avocado soup. Oh, be still my heart, it was delish! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Will def make it again. Am also interested in trying your pumpkin protein shake and apple cinnamon muffins recipes, but can’t find some of the ingredients here. (Sob, Sigh, sniffle, sob !) I look fwd to enjoying these treats when I return home.

Have yourself a fabulous weekend and give the adorable Barley a big hug for me.

Ciao!

Amanda October 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

2013 will definitely be here before we know it! That’s really awesome that you’ve been able to teach in Saudi Arabia, even if you are looking forward to returning to the states and making some changes. I imagine it has given you a completely different perspective on things.

I’m glad you liked the cucumber avocado soup! I was actually hesitant to post that recipe because it’s so simple, but sometimes it’s the really basic recipes that end up being favorites. :)

Laura S. October 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Yay!!! So happy for you guys!!! Looks like you are having a lot of fun already.

Amanda October 31, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thanks, Laura! Barley is great. He’s regularly sleeping through the night and learning to walk on the leash. He also met my parents’ dogs and seems to fit right in with the craziness. :)

J @ Sparklingly November 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm

That is one ABSURDLY adorable pooch!
(Hi! New reader that found you searching for CSD :) )

Amanda November 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thank you! He’s such a good puppy. :)
Also, I love your blog! You have a great writing style – I’m really looking forward to reading more! I highly recommend the CSD too. :)

J November 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm

That seriously made me blush! (And if you saw my picture, you know that’s not an easy feat ;) ). I’m newly new to this and hoping it sticks and kind words like yours are greatly appreciated! XOXO, J.

PS. Am a big fan of people like Kris Carr, Sarah Wilson, Mark Hyman, etc. and so enjoy your posts on wellness! :)