Homemade Halloween Candy & Sweets

Halloween was always my favorite holiday growing up. I loved any excuse to get dressed up, load on the glitter, and hopefully find a way to work in a pink, poofy tutu. It’s safe to say I was a girly girl, and even today, my philosophy is basically the same: the more sparkles, the better.

Edible Glitter Dusted Chocolate Molds Follow Me on Pinterest

Edible Glitter-Dusted Chocolate Molds. Probably more age-appropriate than body glitter.

I also really loved candy as a kid. Specifically, chocolate candy. Every Halloween, I made it my mission to load as many Snickers, M&Ms, Peppermint Patties, and Junior Mints into my giant pillowcase (those plastic pumpkins were far too small), scrunching my nose at the lame Sweet Tarts, Skittles, and Starbursts. I had to battle my dad for the Snickers and my mom for the M&Ms, but even my parents knew better than to try to eat my Peppermint Patties and Junior Mints. I would have pitched a Pretty, Pretty Princess, glittery fit.

peppermint_patties Follow Me on Pinterest

To this day, I still adore those sugary mint candies, which is why I created a vegan peppermint patty recipe around this time last year. You can’t exactly get away with handing them out to trick-or-treaters, but that just means you get to keep the entire batch for yourself. Okay, and maybe your kids/spouse/friends/co-workers if you’re feeling really generous. Personally, I’d rather channel my inner five-year-old, over-do it on the glitter, and keep these all to myself.

mint_patties Follow Me on Pinterest

If mint chocolate isn’t your thing, I recommend making up a few pumpkin peanut butter cups instead.

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups Follow Me on Pinterest

Or maybe some chocolate-dipped, double-stuffed Oreos? Those were another Halloween favorite for me. Bonus points if they were the snack size package with six cookies.

chocolate_covered_oreo_3 Follow Me on Pinterest

What was your favorite Halloween candy? I can’t promise not to judge you if you say Sweet Tarts.

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

That’s awesome! I think they appear more complicated at first glance, which makes them even better to give as gifts or bring to a party. People are extra impressed. :)

Definitely Reeses. Chocolate and peanut butter, classic and simple! Well, I’m sure there are plenty of preservatives and other unidentifiable ingredients in Reeses than just chocolate and peanut butter, but you get the idea.

I only started appreciating peanut butter cups within the last few years, but now they’re definitely a favorite. Have you tried the Justin’s brand? OMG they are so good! I highly recommend the dark chocolate pb cups.

I have no self-control around candy corn and will eat it until my stomach hurts. I haven’t bought any this year, but I have seriously been craving it these last couple of days.

I am right there with you, it was all about the chocolate!! Junior Mints were my FAVORITE! Reeses and pixie sticks were a close second. I remember my brother used to pour all of his pixie sticks in a bowl and eat it with a spoon, GAG! haha

Hahahaha, I still fight the urge to overdo the glitter when I’m getting ready for the day. My friends and I totally used our pillow cases for candy as well!! I think once you’re over the age of 5, those plastic pumpkins will stunt your coolness factor. My favorite candy was and will always be Butterfingers! I don’t really discriminate though….the only thing I’m really not into is the really sour stuff. Your Oreos look amazing, by the way!!

If only it were acceptable to wear glitter as an adult… ;) I still love the sparkly eyeshadows, lip gloss, and nail polish and I doubt I’ll ever totally grow out of that phase.

We’re the same person when it comes to candy. I could never eat a skittle, sweet tart or any other sugary colored candy again in my life and be completely content. Put a peppermint patty or junior mint in front of me though and I’d probably pass up thousands of dollars just to eat it. :)

I love Halloween, with all its treats and costumes, too! Your peppermint patties look like perfection! I have made them before and love them too, but mine weren’t as pretty :-)

Hi Amanda:

While I loved reading your recollections of Halloween as a child and looking at the yummy treats you created, I must confess that Halloween is not my thing. Please forgive me. :) Many thanks for your kind reply to my last comment. Oh yes. life in Saudi Arabia for a working, western expat woman is indeed quite challenging. I am however, glad that I decided to be adventurous! I am impatiently waiting for my avocados to ripen, so that I may try your delectable looking Mango Avocado Salsa recipe. Wishing you a Happy Halloween!

I forgive you. ;)
      I had a roommate in college who lived in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years while her dad was working there and she (not surprisingly) found it to be very challenging as well.
      Let me know what you think of the salsa when you make it! Similar to the cucumber avocado soup, it’s very simple, but the flavors work really well together!

I’m with you-Halloween was all about the chocolate. Junior Mints were actually one of my favorites and I’m always surprised (horrified, actually) when people say they don’t like them. What is not to love about chocolate and creamy mint filling?