Homemade Halloween Candy & Sweets

October 29, 2012

in Other Desserts

Halloween was always my favorite holiday growing up. I loved any excuse to get dressed up, load on the glitter, and hopefully find a way to work in a pink, poofy tutu. It’s safe to say I was a girly girl, and even today, my philosophy is basically the same: the more sparkles, the better.

Edible Glitter Dusted Chocolate Molds

Edible Glitter-Dusted Chocolate Molds. Probably more age-appropriate than body glitter.

I also really loved candy as a kid. Specifically, chocolate candy. Every Halloween, I made it my mission to load as many Snickers, M&Ms, Peppermint Patties, and Junior Mints into my giant pillowcase (those plastic pumpkins were far too small), scrunching my nose at the lame Sweet Tarts, Skittles, and Starbursts. I had to battle my dad for the Snickers and my mom for the M&Ms, but even my parents knew better than to try to eat my Peppermint Patties and Junior Mints. I would have pitched a Pretty, Pretty Princess, glittery fit.

peppermint_patties

To this day, I still adore those sugary mint candies, which is why I created a vegan peppermint patty recipe around this time last year. You can’t exactly get away with handing them out to trick-or-treaters, but that just means you get to keep the entire batch for yourself. Okay, and maybe your kids/spouse/friends/co-workers if you’re feeling really generous. Personally, I’d rather channel my inner five-year-old, over-do it on the glitter, and keep these all to myself.

mint_patties

If mint chocolate isn’t your thing, I recommend making up a few pumpkin peanut butter cups instead.

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups

Or maybe some chocolate-dipped, double-stuffed Oreos? Those were another Halloween favorite for me. Bonus points if they were the snack size package with six cookies.

chocolate_covered_oreo_3

What was your favorite Halloween candy? I can’t promise not to judge you if you say Sweet Tarts.

Caitlin October 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

i made your peppermint patties at easter time and they were great! and not even difficult to make, which is what i had anticipated.

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

That’s awesome! I think they appear more complicated at first glance, which makes them even better to give as gifts or bring to a party. People are extra impressed. :)

jaime @ sweet road October 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

Definitely Reeses. Chocolate and peanut butter, classic and simple! Well, I’m sure there are plenty of preservatives and other unidentifiable ingredients in Reeses than just chocolate and peanut butter, but you get the idea.

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

I only started appreciating peanut butter cups within the last few years, but now they’re definitely a favorite. Have you tried the Justin’s brand? OMG they are so good! I highly recommend the dark chocolate pb cups.

jaime @ sweet road October 29, 2012 at 10:49 am

Oh that sounds amazing! I have not tried their peanut butter cups yet, but I am very familiar with their scrumptious nut butters. I’ll have to keep and eye out for those chocolatey treats…

Shannon October 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

I have always been a sucker for Dots, Swedish Fish, and anything gummy.

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

I forgot about Dots! I used to like them when they got a little stale (which was most of the time) and extra chewy. Is that gross? haha

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras October 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

Candy corn, definitely. I only let myself buy one bag each Halloween, because it will literally be gone in one sitting and then I will have a stomachache for hours. I have no control. It’s like crack for me.

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I have no self-control around candy corn and will eat it until my stomach hurts. I haven’t bought any this year, but I have seriously been craving it these last couple of days.

Mai-Lis October 29, 2012 at 11:30 am

I am right there with you, it was all about the chocolate!! Junior Mints were my FAVORITE! Reeses and pixie sticks were a close second. I remember my brother used to pour all of his pixie sticks in a bowl and eat it with a spoon, GAG! haha

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Ah! My teeth hurt just thinking about eating a big bowl of pixie sticks!

Lauren October 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hahahaha, I still fight the urge to overdo the glitter when I’m getting ready for the day. My friends and I totally used our pillow cases for candy as well!! I think once you’re over the age of 5, those plastic pumpkins will stunt your coolness factor. My favorite candy was and will always be Butterfingers! I don’t really discriminate though….the only thing I’m really not into is the really sour stuff. Your Oreos look amazing, by the way!!

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm

If only it were acceptable to wear glitter as an adult… ;) I still love the sparkly eyeshadows, lip gloss, and nail polish and I doubt I’ll ever totally grow out of that phase.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm

We’re the same person when it comes to candy. I could never eat a skittle, sweet tart or any other sugary colored candy again in my life and be completely content. Put a peppermint patty or junior mint in front of me though and I’d probably pass up thousands of dollars just to eat it. :)

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Have you tried freezing junior mints? SO freaking good.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

oh my gosh, no! I’m on it though now :)

Kristen October 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I love Halloween, with all its treats and costumes, too! Your peppermint patties look like perfection! I have made them before and love them too, but mine weren’t as pretty :-)

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I find it’s easier to dip them in chocolate using a fork, if that helps. It’s sort of a messy process no matter how you make them though. :)

Michelle Collins October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I used to love getting the “regular-sized” candy bars when I went trick-or-treating. Those fun size bars never did it for me! ;)

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Those were the best! I always remembered which houses gave out the regular-sized bars and made sure to go there. :)

Ceil October 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Amanda:

While I loved reading your recollections of Halloween as a child and looking at the yummy treats you created, I must confess that Halloween is not my thing. Please forgive me. :) Many thanks for your kind reply to my last comment. Oh yes. life in Saudi Arabia for a working, western expat woman is indeed quite challenging. I am however, glad that I decided to be adventurous! I am impatiently waiting for my avocados to ripen, so that I may try your delectable looking Mango Avocado Salsa recipe. Wishing you a Happy Halloween!

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I forgive you. ;)
I had a roommate in college who lived in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years while her dad was working there and she (not surprisingly) found it to be very challenging as well.
Let me know what you think of the salsa when you make it! Similar to the cucumber avocado soup, it’s very simple, but the flavors work really well together!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I would like to eat one of those oreos RIGHT now!!
Favorite candy? I’m a sucker for M&Ms. Don’t leave me alone with a bag of them… ever.

Amanda October 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

M&Ms are so addictive! I also can’t be trusted with a whole bag. :)

Shana October 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m with you-Halloween was all about the chocolate. Junior Mints were actually one of my favorites and I’m always surprised (horrified, actually) when people say they don’t like them. What is not to love about chocolate and creamy mint filling?

Amanda October 31, 2012 at 8:15 am

I will never understand how people can not like Junior Mints. Oh well, more for us! ;)

Colette @ JFF! October 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Homemade candy is the best! I’ve gotta try your pep-patty recipe.