Frazzled & Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas

Frazzled is a fun word, don’t you think? It perfectly describes the way I’ve been feeling this week. Busy and slightly overwhelmed.

My SEO freelance work has picked up significantly, which is great from a financial standpoint, but it’s also involved a lot of last-minute, someone-messed-up-can-you-fix-this-right-now fire drills. Which of course translates to me sitting down at my desk at 8am every morning and realizing at 12:30pm that I’m still wearing pajamas, I haven’t showered, and my stomach is about to declare war if I don’t stop to eat breakfast.

The freelance stuff is actually not what frazzles me though. It’s the combination of trying to work on projects, not sound like a fool when I present during conference calls, and coherently respond to emails, all while the dogs either wrestle, steal each other’s toys (Barley by means of high-pitched barking and/or biting), and decide they need to pee every twenty minutes.

Barley Eating Pumpkin Follow Me on Pinterest

Barley gets a pass because his bladder is still the size of a walnut, but I swear Honey is punishing me for bringing this attention-stealing mini puggle into her life. After I take Barley outside, she gives me just enough time to take off my coat and settle into whatever it is I’m doing before she dramatically plops herself down by the door and loudly sighs to go out. There have been points this week where I’ve literally taken them outside five times in the span of an hour.

Honey Follow Me on Pinterest

So, seeing as how I inhaled oatmeal for breakfast at 12:30 most days this week, an actual blog-worthy recipe didn’t stand a chance. Instead, I thought I’d share some of my favorite vegan dishes for Thanksgiving, especially because I only discovered on Tuesday that Thanksgiving is next week. And I’m hosting.

FRAZZLED.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts

crispy_brussels_sprouts Follow Me on Pinterest

Mock Mashed Potatoes

cauliflower_white_bean_mash Follow Me on Pinterest

Rustic Bread

homemade_bread Follow Me on Pinterest

Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie

shepherds_pie Follow Me on Pinterest

Pumpkin Pie or Individual Pumpkin Custards

vegan_pumpkin_pie Follow Me on Pinterest almost_vegan_pumpkin_custard Follow Me on Pinterest

Grapefruit Ginger Spritzers (heavy on the rum)

Ginger Grapefruit Spritzer Follow Me on Pinterest

No Tofurky.

What are you making? And would you like to borrow my dogs?

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

Work always picks up at the wrong time of the year, right? We are doing a few Thanksgiving dinners with friends this year. I think I’m going to try my hand at vegan pie baking (scared!) and probably a few appetizers. No tofurkey for me either!

November is always a crazy month in the world of search marketing – clients are scrambling to use their budgets (which translates to more work!) and agencies are trying to make good on all of the deliverables that were promised before end of year. Such a fun time. ;)
      Good luck with the vegan pie baking! I’m sure you’ll do great!

i am definitely making roasted brussels sprouts, as they are my veggie candy. i bought a bunch of sweet potatoes recently and have not been in the mood for them. LUCKILY, you posted that shepherds pie recipe which i am definitely making next week now ;)

Roasted brussels sprouts are the best! I hope you like the shepherd’s pie – I the love the contrast of the sweet potato topping and savory filling. :)

3. Ariel C says

Hi! I love your site! I just starting juicing, and your pulp recipes are what drew me here. LOVE your doggies, but i’m a cat person myself. I saw a recipe a about adding some of the veggie pulp to mashed potatoes, so if you have some leftover veggie pulp, toss it in! And i made these sweet potato pie bites. Its basically a sweet potato (sweetened to your liking) used as filing to those tiny filo crust cups in the freezer section. I’m sure you could use the pumpkin filing too, but i don’t think the filo is vegan….(im actually pretty sure its not, but ignorance is bliss at this point…). Don’t work too hard!

Thanks, Ariel! I love cats too. Pretty much all animals, really. :)
      What a great idea to add veggie pulp to mashed potatoes! I’m going to have to try that!

Are you certain that you just want to “lend” them out? No permanent adoptions being offered? Nah. The holidays will end sooner or later. Winter will go away sometime. And life will settle down. Maybe.

I’m bringing sweet potato casserole, this amazing cranberry/apple dish, and pumpkin pie. I’m trying to convince my mom to let me make roasted brussels sprouts, but she sadly refuses to eat brussels sprouts, and is skeptical I can make them taste different from the bland mushy crap she had a as a child.

And I will gladly take your pups!

I am COMPLETELY obsessed with your new pup, so yes, just send him on over. I think my itsy bitsy NYC apartment could handle one bundle of puggle at least :).

YES, I would like to borrow your dogs! They are the CUTEST! : )

I, for the first time, get to plan/co-cook the dinner this year. We’re having brussels sprouts, garlic greens (kale, collard, spinach mix), vegan cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and my mom’s famous apple crisp for dessert. Totally feasting….No (processed, chemically) tofurkey necessary!

You can stop by and pick up the dogs any time. ;)
      Your Thanksgiving menu sounds seriously incredible! I’m thinking I may need to add garlic greens to my own…I could eat garlicky kale every day and be very, very happy.

Obviously Thanksgiving has come and gone, but I’m just now catching up.
    First of all, I don’t know how you can get ANYTHING done with that adorable little monkey rolling around with a tennis ball! :)
    All of those recipes look great… but if I were you, I would just make the sweet potato shepherd’s pie all day, every day. It’s one of my favorite meals EVER.
    No tofurkey for me either- although I did have some Beyond Meat. :)

9. Sevrina says

Hello! For my Vegan Thanksgiving I made mock mashed potatoes with garlic and rosemary and olive oil instead of butter (a much larger hit than my brothers competition with a stick of butter), tofu pumpkin pie sweetened with agave and with a gluten free oatmeal crust, quinoa-stuffed squash, green bean casserole (minus the fried onions and with gluten free flour and fresh green beans), fresh cranberry sauce (I didn’t quite have anything to put it on, but I wanted to make it anyway!) natural sparkling water (I forget the brand name but its in a green glass bottle) and of course apple juice for the little ones. My family also had a turkey, stuffing, buns and drinks but they really liked mine. It was really good and so nutritious like most wholesome vegan cooking. It opened my doors to cooking a lot more often from scratch instead of making big pots of beans and rice to essentially eat through the week. Ever since I’ve become Vegan last January I have felt so creative with my cooking, a lot more than when I wasn’t. Its so great, healthy, happy for animals and fun for us!

Your Thanksgiving sounds so, so good! Especially that pumpkin pie…I could go for a slice right about now.
      I could not agree more about vegan cooking inspiring creativity. I eat much more varied (and delicious) food ever since I stopped relying on animal products. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving recap and thoughts!

10. Ashley says

You can even make Brussels Sprouts with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt. The process is similar to what you explained above. Just drizzle it with olive oil; salt and pepper give it a good mix. Spread this mixture onto a baking sheet.

Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Remove the baking sheet every 15 minutes while roasting and give the Brussels Sprouts a good toss to make sure they are evenly roasting and browning.

10 minutes before they are done, squeeze an entire lemon on the vegetables and then cut the lemon up and throw it onto the baking sheet and place back into the oven to finish roasting. Once the edges are crisp and brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven.