Thankful

November 21, 2012

in Happiness

Apple Tree

It’s been a tumultuous last few months with a mixture of highs and lows. Most of the lows happened all at once, with Aaron losing his job being the most significant. Others were a mixture of emotions, like coming to the realization that we couldn’t provide Olive with a home that was the right fit, but then finding a loving family to give her the life she deserves.

olive_first_snow_2

Despite the unexpected lows and added stress of these changes, I am still a believer that we have the ability to not only handle what’s thrown our way, but that we can use it as an opportunity to let go of things that no longer serve us and replace them with things that do. Attitude and perspective are everything, which I truly learned during my move to San Francisco and back.

San Francisco Fog

To me, Thanksgiving is most definitely about the food, but it’s also a reminder to pause and reflect on the people, puggles, and things I am so thankful to have in my life.

Honey Sweater

On the work front, I’ve been busy with my SEO consulting and Aaron officially announced the branding agency he’s been gearing up to launch for the last year (really, for his entire life).

Barley is settling in and making our hearts melt from cuteness at least one hundred times a day.

Barley 12 Weeks 1

Honey is looking past his “love bites” and sharp puppy teeth and realizing she has a playmate with an eerily similar temperament. Although, I suppose it’s not that eery – they have the same dad and their moms are related (totally dysfunctional in human terms, not so much in dog relationships, I guess).

Honey & Barley

And in general, things just feel like they’re falling into place…balancing working hard to create the life we want, with slowing down enough to enjoy the present.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, filled with things that make you happy – food-related and otherwise!

xo

Amanda

Amy @Macncheesenpeas November 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

Barley is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I’m so glad to hear that things are falling into place, they always seem to do that eventually! Happy Thanksgiving Amanda!

Amanda November 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

Thanks, Amy! Happy Thanksgiving!

J @ Sparklingly November 21, 2012 at 11:39 am

What a sweet post, especially this: “balancing working hard to create the life we want, with slowing down enough to enjoy the present.” Something we all should strive for.

Happy Thanksgiving to y’all (both people and puggles)!

(And, PS. I’m eagerly poking around your husband’s site—we’re in the same line of business!).

Amanda November 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

Balancing the two is definitely tricky. It’s a constant work in progress for me.
Aaron’s site is just a wordpress template for now, but I’m sure they’ll have something awesome up as soon as they can find the time. :) Hope you like the work so far!

Laura S November 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Such beautiful words, Amanda. You sound joyful and like you’re at peace amidst the curveballs that unfortunately (and fortunately!) are a part of life. Despite it all we still have so much to be grateful for.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras November 21, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’m so glad things are starting to calm down a bit for you, and glad that you’re the kind of person who can recognize the blessings through the struggles :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Amanda November 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Katie. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Ceil November 22, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi Amanda:

Thanks so much for the good wishes and lovely reminder about being thankful for what we have especially when at times it does not seem as if we have much to be grateful for…Wishing you and yours a bountiful and enjoyable Thanksgiving celebration.

Amanda November 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Thank you, Ceil. Wishing you the best!

Kait @ yogabeautylife November 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Sometimes the worst times allow us to put our old selves to rest and birth something new and beautiful. Pheonix’s rising from the ashes if you will.

I’m so happy things have turned around for you and I am in love with this post. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. xo

Amanda November 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thanks for the sweet comment, Kait. Thanksgiving was wonderful. Hope yours was great too!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

What a GREAT post, Amanda!! And yes- attitude is EVERYTHING. For some reason, I choose to have a bad one sometimes, which is just plain dumb and a total waste of time and energy. There’s so much to be happy about. And when in doubt, pet a puppy (that’s a direct quote from Greg).

Amanda November 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

That’s a good quote! I was saying the other day that I think everyone should hold a puppy – the world would be a better place. ;)