I’m still full from Thanksgiving.

November 26, 2012

in Main Meals

Anyone else feeling a little less interested in food these last couple of days? I love being in my kitchen, but after four straight days of prepping, cooking, and baking, I’m ready for a break. Fortuntely, I’m happy to report that all of that time paid off. I made a mix of my own recipes, as well as a few that I bookmarked (some forever ago), and all of them were absolutely delicious. Here’s what my family enjoyed…

Thanksgiving 2012

Rustic Bread. I used spelt flour this time, but unfortunately the yeast wasn’t good! It rose a little and ended up being edible, but I also threw together some cornbread in a slight and unnecessary panic as my family arrived.

Orange-Scented Cranberry Sauce via Healthy. Happy. Life. I followed Kathy’s recipe exactly, but used half the sugar and adjusted the sweetness with a little liquid stevia. It was the perfect balance of tart and sweet, and I loved the fresh orange juice and zest.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Miso Sauce via Daily Garnish. I had been seeing this recipe everywhere and was so excited to try the combination of miso and tahini. It did not disappoint. I’ve been putting the leftover sauce on everything…tofu, raw veggies, a spoon…it’s awesome.

Chipotle Seitan Sausage via Vegan Yack Attack. I’ve made this a couple of times now and Aaron is obsessed. Not only is it more cost effective to make seitan at home, but the flavor in Jackie’s recipe is the ideal mix of sweet, savory, and spicy. It beats out nearly all store-bought seitan I’ve tried.

Vegan Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd’s Pie. A new twist on one of my all-time favorite meals. Recipe post is coming soon!

Vegan Pumpkin Custard

Pumpkin Custard. The only change I made from my original recipe was to use coconut sugar instead of cane sugar. It gave the custard a deeper color, but also played up the molasses flavor, which I really liked.

No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars via The Detoxinista. I only recently discovered Megan’s blog and I just about dropped everything I was doing to make this dessert. I absolutely love pecan pie, but I rarely indulge because the traditional version is both not vegan and not conducive to fitting in my jeans. Megan’s version isn’t low-calorie, but it uses simple, real ingredients (dates, pecans, coconut) and manages to taste just like pecan pie. I didn’t use chocolate when I made mine, but I’m sure that’s incredible.

Coconut Milk Whipped Cream

Sunshine in a Jar with Coconut Whipped Cream via A Dash of Compassion. This one has been bookmarked for months and my only regret is not making it sooner. It’s like a mix between lemon meringue pie and lemon bars.  Need I say more? Nicole is seriously talented.

So, do you see what I mean about needing a little break from the kitchen? Today, I am thankful for leftovers.

Michelle Collins November 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Everything you made sounds delicious! I am also unbearably full…but still managed to eat a muffin covered in buttercream frosting this morning. :/

Amanda November 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

haha Sometimes you just need some frosting to start the week. ;)

J November 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh, dear. I need a serving of all of that STAT!

Sounds/looks delicious! Can’t wait for the day when we’ll be able to magically reach into our computer screens and sniff/taste/touch what’s on the other side. I believe I’d have a few dollops of that Coconut Whipped Cream on my nose already, if it were possible ;).

Amanda November 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm

The coconut milk whipped cream is so good! I hadn’t made it with Ener-G egg replacer before – it gives it this awesome light and fluffy texture.

Nicole November 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm

This meal sounds incredible (and a lot of work). I’ve pinned a few of these recipes :)
I’m so happy you made and enjoyed the Sunshine in a Jar!!

Amanda November 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love your Sunshine in a Jar recipe! It will definitely be one of my go-to lemon desserts moving forward. :)

Ceil November 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

HiAmanda:

Your menu looks and sounds delish! I can understand why you’re still so full and in need of some r & r. :)
I’m highly looking forward to your post on the revised Shepherd’s Pie recipe. With anticipation!

Amanda November 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm

The shepherd’s pie was probably my family’s favorite part of the meal. I’m looking forward to sharing the recipe a little later in the week. :)

Kelly November 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Oooh your meal looks great! I actually just spent my first Thanksgiving in Boston. We ate out instead of cooked, but the food was still excellent! http://kellyshealthykitchen.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/thanksgiving-in-boston/

Amanda November 27, 2012 at 9:43 am

It’s nice to eat out for holidays from time to time, especially because it means no dishes to wash! Looking forward to reading your posts – that Gastronomy program sounds so interesting!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 27, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am SO intrigued by that seitan sausage!! I made my own seitan for the first time Saturday night using a recipe from PPK and it was awesome. I definitely want to make more!
Even though our “vegan experiment” is “over,” we’re still eating about 98% vegan over here (with the occasional egg).

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa November 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Looks like you were busy! I’ve been dying to try that Daily Garnish sweet potato & miso recipe. Glad to hear you liked it!

Amanda November 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I loved that recipe – highly recommend it!

Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! November 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m so glad that you like that Chipotle Seitan Recipe! Your Thanksgiving meal looks like it was supremely delicious! :)

Amanda November 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Jackie! My husband is borderline obsessed with that seitan. I’m thinking I need to triple the batch next time.

Ceil November 28, 2012 at 5:28 am

Hi Amanda!

Many moons ago, as a college student, Shepherd’s Pie was my all-time
fave comfort food. I never tried my hand at making it, but if I can find all the ingredients your recipe requires, I’ll give it a try for the holidays. :)

Amanda November 28, 2012 at 9:01 am

I hope you can find the ingredients! The recipe (like nearly all of my recipes) is really simple to make.