Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies

I had no intention of posting a brownie recipe this week. I was thinking more along the lines of a superfood kale salad, actually. Oops.

Pumpkin Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

However, I was having one of those days where everything feels more difficult than it should be – work-wise, puggle-wise (Barley – I’m looking at you, crazy!) – and all compounded by the fact that it was Monday. Brownies were in order.

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

In my typical fashion, I couldn’t just make regular brownies. The vegan part is a given, but I also felt compelled to reduce the sugar and fat, use gluten-free flour, and doctor them up with pumpkin. For those of you who either hate pumpkin or called it quits after pumpkin everything for the last two months, not to worry. I can’t even taste it in the final product. Instead, the pumpkin allows you to cut down on the fat without really altering the texture. It’s like applesauce when it comes to baking, only less gummy.

Vegan Pumpkin Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

Of course, if you’re like me and you never get sick of pumpkin, you can also add in some pumpkin pie spice for a little extra kick. And then proceed to eat the rest of the pumpkin straight out of the can with a spatula while you wait for your brownies to bake. No judgement.

Coconut Sugar Pumpkin Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

Topped with some chopped almonds for a nice crunch, these brownies hit. the. spot.

Almond Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

I think I need to spontaneously make brownies more often.

Pumpkin Brownies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Gluten-free, vegan, low-glycemic, low-fat pumpkin brownies that actually taste really, really good. Especially when eaten still warm out of the oven with a cold glass of almond milk.
Serves: 9-12 brownies
  • ¾ C. Pumpkin Puree
  • ½ C. Coconut Sugar
  • ¼ C. Melted Coconut Oil, plus 1 Tsp. for greasing the pan
  • 2½ Tbs. Stevia Baking Blend (or more Coconut Sugar to Taste)
  • ½ C. Cocoa powder
  • ¼ C. Sorghum Flour
  • ¼ C. Sweet White Rice Flour
  • ¼ C. Potato Starch (Tapioca Starch will also work)
  • ¼ Tsp. Fine Sea Salt
  • ¼ Tsp. Baking Soda
  • ½ Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (optional)
  • 3-4 Tbs. Chopped Almonds for Topping (optional)
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan with 1 Tsp. of coconut oil and set it aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the ¼ C. of melted coconut oil and the chopped almonds (if using).
  4. Slowly add the melted coconut oil to the mixture, making sure to mix constantly so that it doesn't turn solid and form clumps (a stand mixer is helpful for this).
  5. Transfer the brownie batter to the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer with a spatula.
  6. Top the batter with the chopped almonds (pressing down lightly so that they stick), and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
  7. When the brownies are done, the top should feel firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
  8. Allow the brownies to cool slightly before cutting, then eat two. Okay, three.
Feel free to use your favorite gluten-free flour or blend. An all-purpose blend or brown rice flour will probably also work well. If you're not gluten-free, this recipe is also great with spelt or whole wheat pastry flours. Use ¾ C. total if you use a gluten flour. The pumpkin puree can be replaced with an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce. It may not seem like enough batter when you first transfer it to the baking pan, but I promise it is. Just use a spatula to spread it into an even layer. Or, for a thicker brownie, double the recipe and adjust the baking time accordingly. For something a bit more decadent, try mixing ⅓ C. of vegan chocolate chips into the brownie batter before baking.

Looking for an even more health-conscious brownie recipe? Try my Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies. I swear they don’t taste like beans.

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

these look spectacular, amanda! i love using pumpkin puree in place of applesauce, and NEVER tire of eating pumpkin ;) the nuts on top fancy them up and make them holiday party worthy ;)

I think you need to spontaneously *SEND* brownies more often ;).

I know I’m so lucky to live in a city that has loads of vegan, gf, sugar-free, etc etc etc options, but I really just want a bite of those brownies up there.

(By bite, I mean, plate).

Hi Amanda,

I certainly wish that I could be there to help you devour those brownies. They look absolutely delish! Am highly looking forward to returning to the USA next spring in part, so that I can purchase those hard-to-find food items you use in your awesome recipes. Enjoy the remainder of your week. :)

Hah! Can you seriously eat pumpkin straight out of the can? Even as I write this I think, heck, I practically live off of pie spice, so forget I asked. :-) These look great, by the way. I’m always up for a less fattening brownie!

I’ll be honest – I adore pumpkin, and don’t tire of recipes that use them, but I can’t ever see myself eating it out of the can. But maybe I don’t buy the right brand… :)

haha Yeah, some brands are not so great. I’m usually not a fan of the TJ’s pumpkin, but I used it in this recipe and it was surprisingly good. I also just really like pumpkin. :)

I’ve been searching for a good homemade version of pumpkin brownies (Yeah you CAN just use a box mix, but I wanted to make them from scratch).

These look so lovely! I’m new to your blog, but will definitely be subscribing.

6. shelley says

I just made these. I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free all purpose baking mix, left out the Xanthan Gum, and added the suggested 1/3 cup chocolate chips. HEAVEN. They don’t taste at all like pumpkin, not that I would mind – they are just simply delicious! This was my first time baking w/ coconut oil, so thanks for the encouragement. I just measured it out and put it in a dish in the microwave on defrost to get it liquid-y. Added it little by little as you suggested, mixed by hand, and it was beautiful. Thanks, Amanda!

Yay! I’m so glad your brownies turned out well! I love baking with coconut oil. It’s one of those ingredients that’s perfect for so many uses. :)

• shelley says

Is there anything special to keep in mind when I sub coconut oil for butter, shortening, oil, etc in recipes? Does it sub measure for measure w/ butter/margarine?

I’ve found that, in general, you can sub coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio. What’s great is that it can be used in liquid or solid form, depending on what the recipe requires. Of course, each recipe is a little different, so it may take some trial and error to get the right result.

Trackbacks