Natural Makeup Recommendations

Thank you so much for all of your responses to my last post! I loved reading about your favorite makeup products and what works for you! I used to be a makeup (and especially lip gloss and nail polish) junkie, but I’ve sort of lost touch with all of the latest brands and products since I started working from home and don’t feel like I have to wear makeup…or non-workout clothes. It also helps that I no longer work next to a Sephora and don’t spend my lunch breaks maintaining VIB status. You know you have a problem when you’re able to redeem points on an almost weekly basis…Aaron is thankful we didn’t share a bank account back then.

Anyway, I spent a good chunk of Friday researching all of your suggestions, which included:

Nicole of A Dash of Compassion also recommended Battle of the Bite’s 5-part series on her switch to natural makeup, skin and hair care. This series is awesome! It’s super comprehensive and gives a really great breakdown of each of the products’ pros and cons. Overall, Jane Iredale and bareMinerals were her favorites.

Also really helpful is the EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. You can enter a product and it will give you an overall score on a scale of 0-10, as well as a breakdown of each ingredient and how it scores in terms of potential hazard.

bareMinerals Matte Follow Me on Pinterest

I had a hair appointment in the city on Friday, so I made a quick stop at my old stomping grounds, Sephora, to check out the bareMinerals line. I ended up purchasing the matte powder and a couple of high quality makeup brushes, and so far, so good! No allergic reactions, although I did have a slight panic attack when the sales associate was testing out the powder on my face. Does anyone else get totally uncomfortable with someone you don’t know, using brushes that aren’t yours, to try a product that who knows how many people have sampled, on your face? I promptly washed my face when I got home. Twice.

I’m also trying out some new, homemade, and very simple skin care, but I need to give that a little time before I share my verdicts. In the meantime, I have another question for you: For those of you who color your hair, do you use a natural dye?

I highlight my hair every couple of months and as I was sitting with chemicals seeping into my brain on Friday (oh, the hypocrisy!), I decided I need to make an effort to switch to natural hair dye too.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

I’m not sure what the brand is but I have had yogurt based color used on my hair and it turned out great and lasted the same amount of time. I have yet to find highlights that are more natural.

2. Elina says

The only natural hair dyes I know of are henna and basma. These two can give different results depending on your hair color, but, still, variations are pretty limited. You should also learn how to use those first, because you could accidentally get an angry-bird-like red color with henna and spirulina-like green color with basma. Yikes! Plus, as far as I know, if you decide to change your new color, the results are pretty much unpredictable. At least that’s what I heard about Iranian dyes. But I did witness the color surprises I described. Not pretty.

I’ve had luck with some organic hair dyes and not so much with others. I can’t remember which were good and which were not (and would have to ask the salon). I know that was no help at all. :)
    Glad you found make-up that you like! I like Bare Minerals a lot (I’ve bought the Matte before), but like Mineral Fusion just a hair better.

I’ll have to ask my hair stylist if she can recommend something. Or maybe I can find a more eco-friendly salon and just see what they use. It would be so much easier if I just didn’t color my hair, but alas, I like to change things up every couple of months. :)
      I’ll keep a look out for the Mineral Fusion products. Where did you buy yours? I went with bareMinerals because Sephora was convenient and I know I can return it at any time. LOVE their return policy!

Glad you enjoyed Gillian’s five-part series!
    Alas, I still use conventional hair colour too. I’ve never been able to find a natural alternative I like.

Her series is great! It’s basically all the info I needed in one place. :)
      The hair color thing is tough. The natural alternatives aren’t looking too promising so far.

I’ve never tried any of the Tarte products, but it’s looking like I need to make another trip to Sephora!
      Thank you SO much for nominating me! And congrats on receiving the award too! Off to read your post… :)

5. Jessie says

I like Aveda hair color. I think they use mostly natural ingredients and it doesn’t seem to damage my hair like other color.

I need to check some of these out. I have some Bare Minerals stuff, but other than that, my makeup is just the regular, non-natural stuff, which I’d like to change. Although, I don’t really use a lot of makeup in general.

I’m the same way about not wearing much makeup. I used to never leave my house without it, and now it’s pretty much a weekend thing for me. Oh, how times have changed! :)

7. Delores says

I Love M.A.D Minerals for years now they treat my skin better than the BareMinerals and they are so natural looking . I look much younger than my 50 plus years