Barley at 5 Months

January 7, 2013

in Puppy

This week is off to a bit of a rough start. I woke up to a scratchy throat and an achy body that I’ve been fighting since Aaron came down with some sort of flu last week. I also made the mistake of checking my work email last night, and so I knew getting out of bed this morning that these next few days would be jam-packed with quick deadlines. Not a great combination.

I have a recipe post and product review in the works, but I’m short on time and today just seems like a good day for some Barley photos, don’t you think? In the spirit of last month’s baby-inspired updates, here are his latest fun facts:

Barley 5 Months

New skills: Holding “sit” and “down” for longer stretches of time (and by longer, I mean 5-10 seconds), unrolling the toilet paper and dragging it all over the apartment (apparently this doesn’t only happen on TV), and teaming up with Honey to eat trash from the bathrooms. Gross.
Favorite food: Fruit still tops the list. He even likes grapefruit, which I find kind of surprising.
Favorite Non-Food (that Barley thinks is food): Rocks. He’s become increasingly clever about bringing them inside without us noticing. He scoops them up (I have no idea when), somehow hides them in his cheeks like a chipmunk, and then he waits until no one is looking to attempt to eat them. Thus far, he has thankfully been unsuccessful.

Barley 5 Months 2

Traumatic Event: Getting his head stuck under the heater. Let me preface this by saying the heat was off and Barley was completely fine within a minute of us finagling him out from under it. I, however, continue to be traumatized because the way he was screaming, I thought he had lost a limb. Nope, just trying to eat something and got stuck. I’ve since blocked off the space under the heaters and turned into even more of a helicopter dog mom. It. was. awful.

Barley 5 Months 3

Dislikes: Having rocks taken away, wearing a coat. He’ll go from totally crazy to mellow and sweet the second he sees that coat coming his way. I should have him start wearing it in the house, I think.
Consecutive days not peeing in the apartment: 1/2 a day. Not his finest weekend on the housetraining front.
Favorite way to sleep: Still on top of Honey. She’s a good sport about it.

Barley's Favorite Way to Sleep

Kait @ yogabeautylife January 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm

1) Feel better.
2)AHHH i want one.
3) That is all.

xo

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, Kait! <3

Sherry (BTLover2) January 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Good Lord! I cannot even stand the cuteness! I love hearing about his accomplishments and the “not-so-welcome” puppy behaviors. It’s all so typical — sometimes maddening, but more often, sweet and funny. Keep posting about Barley and Honey :)

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm

He’s very much a typical, happy-go-lucky puppy. And the times I get mad last all of 2 seconds. I am terrible when it comes to discipline because he’s just too cute!

Michelle Collins January 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Ooooh, I hate when I check my work email “off hours.” Never a good idea, but somehow, I keep doing it. :\ Either way, Barley is one cute dog. I love how he sleeps on Honey like that – too cute!

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Checking work email on the weekends is such a bad habit. I tell myself it’s so I’m prepared Monday morning, but it just ends up keeping me up on Sunday night. Not good!

J @ *sparklingly January 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Oh my goodness that IS a traumatic event! I’m picturing his poor little squirmy self all stuck and scared and getting positively verklempt about it! So glad it didn’t last long. And, hope YOU feel better soon, miss!

(If you didn’t already know, love, love, LOVE puggle posts!).

((We witnessed a monkey get a hold of a roll of toilet paper last week and start decorating the palm trees with it—TP’ing jungle style! Highly amused that all wee animals indulge in this))

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I got stressed out just writing about the heater incident…serious moment of panic. Thank goodness Aaron was home because I totally panicked!
I love the visual of the monkey TP’ing – so funny! Your pictures from Honduras are awesome, by the way. Serious vacation envy over here. :)

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health January 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I hope you feel better. Barley is such a cuteeeeee dog, I want to pet it right from the screen, esp the eyes are so adorable. M glad nothing major happened to him. Take care Pup :)

Amanda January 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks! I’m already feeling better than this morning. Lots of lemon water and green juice!
Those big puggle eyes always make me melt. :)

Herbivore Triathlete January 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Oh no, poor Barley! I can imagine the puppy crying noise as I read your post. Love these “baby” posts.

Monica G. January 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm

:D I laughed so hard at the last photo. & thumbs up for the training!

Colette January 8, 2013 at 6:18 am

Have you tried to put doggy shoes on him yet?

Amanda January 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

I haven’t yet, although Honey wears them! She has the kind that look like rubber balloons and she LOVES them! She hates walking in the snow/ice but races around like a maniac when she has her boots on. Barley, on the other hand, would not be a fan. Maybe I should do a video…haha

Colette January 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

A video would be awesome, Amanda!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

Dislikes: having rocks taken away. LOL!!! :)
He’s just SO cute I can’t take it! Lance got his back foot stuck in the baby crate when he was a puppy (he was trying to reach through it I guess? I don’t know) and was SCREECHING and yelping like crazy. I went to pull his foot out (his leg was all twisted around and he wouldn’t sit still) and he bit down on my hand HARD. I guess he thought I was the one inflicting pain on him and it was instinct? He had little puppy teeth then and it SUCKED and hurt and was pretty bloody. Once I finally got him free, he wouldn’t leave my side for about two days.
Hope you feel better soon!! Go away, winter!

Amanda January 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

That screeching is the WORST!!! I was in another room when Barley got stuck and I was seriously terrified of what I was going to find when I got to him. Lance’s story is also traumatic – and your poor hand! Puppy teeth are like little razors.
I’m so ready for winter to be done! Jan & Feb are brutal around here, although it’s supposed to be close to 50 the next couple of days. Compared to -5 last week, it feels like summer! ;)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras January 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

He is SO cute. My cat Stella also unrolls toilet paper… we have to keep the bathroom door closed at all times. Gotta love pets, right?
Feel better!

Amanda January 8, 2013 at 11:08 am

Stella sounds like such a character. I kind of want to meet her. :)
Thanks for the well-wishes! It seems like everyone around me is sick right now.

Jen Ludgin January 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm

That last picture is my favorite :) Miss you! Catch up soon?

Amanda January 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Yes! I’ve been meaning to call you!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri January 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

that screaming is the worst huh? UGH! Hate that. Glad he is ok.
That last picture is seriously killing me.
I hope you feel better soon!!

Amanda January 11, 2013 at 8:53 am