My DIY 3 Day Juice Cleanse

May 20, 2013

in Drinks, Juice Cleanse

DIY Juice Cleanse
Juice cleanses seem to be really trendy right now. I’m seeing them all over blogs and instagram, and I keep getting Groupon types of emails for one, three, and seven-day programs. I’m not sure I buy into the need for a “cleanse”, to be honest, but I also know that I feel pretty damn good when I juice regularly. However, some of the cleanse programs seem to be kind of high in sugar, and all are pricey at about $70 per day. That said, the amount of organic produce it takes to make five juices plus one nut milk (which seems to be the standard) isn’t cheap either, so I understand why they’re priced that way, especially when you factor in shipping. Plus, who wants to clean their juicer five times a day?

I’m very much not looking forward to the prepping and cleaning part of the process, but I also have a perfectly good juicer sitting on my counter and I work from home, so…I don’t have a good excuse as to why I can’t attempt a homemade juice cleanse. Fortunately, a quick Google search led me to Susan’s blog, Travel Junkette, and she’s already done all of the research and put together recipes. I’m sure there isn’t any one correct way to do a cleanse, but I like that her juice recipes are veggie-heavy and low glycemic. I also like the idea of following somewhat of a program rather than throwing a bunch of random ingredients in my juicer and hoping for the best (which is what I do most days).

To summarize, I’ll be drinking one juice every couple of hours, starting around 8:30am and ending around 7 or 8pm. The juices will include a green juice, followed by a pineapple/apple/mint juice, then another green, then a spicy lemonade (this one could be rough), a more earthy beet/carrot/ginger combo, and then a homemade almond milk. I’ll also be drinking water and green tea throughout the day if the craving strikes. And yes, I expect I will have to pee about a million times.

Here are my supplies, with most coming from Trader Joe’s to keep costs down, and the rest purchased from Whole Foods:

Grocery List (organic whenever available):
6 hearts celery
4 large cucumbers
24 green apples
3 big bunches kale
6 hearts romaine
1 big container spinach
1 bunch parsley
18 lemons
1 pineapple
1 bunch mint
6 beets (including stems)
3 pounds carrots
3 inches ginger
1 pound bag raw almonds (not all will be used)

Total cost for 3 days: $65

Aaron did the grocery shopping and got some weird looks in the checkout line, but he told me he announced to the cashier and the people in line behind him that his wife is “attempting a juice cleanse and she’s a little nuts”, and then they all collectively said “ooooooh” and went on with their days. Because vegetables are so weird!

3 Day DIY Juice Cleanse
What am I hoping to gain from all of this? I’m not completely sure. I think I’m more curious than anything else, and I’m also hoping that the awesomeness I feel after juicing once a day gets magnified. My goal isn’t to lose weight (which would be very temporary anyway), but if it helps with bloating, that would be a nice perk. I’m opting for three days of juicing because I do like the challenge of seeing if I can stick it out for that long, but it’s also long enough that I feel like I’ll be able to get a good sense of whether it works for me. And if it doesn’t? Well, it’s only three days. Less if I call uncle and find my spoon in the almond butter jar later today.

Wish me luck and I’ll report back with an update soon! In the meantime, have you ever tried a juice cleanse or been interested in trying one? Any words of wisdom?

xo
Amanda

Susan @ Travel Junkette May 20, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hey Amanda,

Thanks for the shout-out! I really appreciate it and wish you the best of luck in your cleanse. I think you’ll love it.

Also, I’m excited to follow your blog. I’ve haven’t eaten meat (other than wild-caught fish… I live in Alaska!) for over a year now and am trying to go “vegan before 6″ a la Mark Bittman. I think your blog will be an inspirational resource for me.

Let’s keep in touch!

xoxo

Amanda May 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

Thanks, Susan! Your juice cleanse post is awesome and so, so helpful! I just made the pineapple/apple/mint juice and you’re right – it’s really good!

I’d love to keep in touch! :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras May 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

I am very excited to stalk your juice cleansing endeavors and possibly embark on my own DIY later! I’ve been wanting to make my own cleanse for awhile (buying one is so damn expensive!) but was kind of afraid I’d screw up and die of malnourishment. I trust you in this kind of thing more than me :)

Amanda May 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

haha I will report back with results!

J /*sparklingly May 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

Yay! I’m excited to hear about your experience! You know that I did *not* enjoy my own so much—but I still believe in the idea of it! Good luck, dear!

(And, cute story about Aaron @ the grocery store! ;) )

Amanda May 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

I know. I love the idea of it. Hopefully my results will make it worthwhile!

Adina | Gluten Free Travelette May 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

Thanks for providing the breakdown of what you got and the link to the other blog! I’m looking forward to hearing what you think. I’ve been wanting to try a DIY one.

dixya@food, pleasure, and health May 20, 2013 at 12:37 pm

im so looking forward to your experience. A while back I tried doing only fruits and vegetable diet – for more its here http://www.foodpleasureandhealth.com/2013/01/my-experience-with-fruits-veggie-only.html. I couldnt last more than two days and I craved carbs plus felt like I spent all my time at the kitchen.

Amanda May 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your post! I’ll have to check it out.
I know what you mean about spending a lot of time in the kitchen. That’s also true of this juice cleanse, although the prep work isn’t very involved.

Christine @ 24 Carrot Kitchen May 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Amanda,

I have not tried a juice cleanse, but would be interested to hear your opinion when your are done. I have thought about trying it myself and three days is not such a long time (I think!).

Amanda May 20, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I thought the same thing about 3 days – any longer than that felt daunting. But maybe this will go really well and I’ll change my mind. :)

Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen May 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Amanda, nice to find your blog. I recently did a one-day juice cleanse. I didn’t mind it, it was just one day, I’m too chicken to try three days (yet). My biggest tip is to make sure your fruits and veggies are super fresh. You can’t tell so much when eaten fresh, but once juiced, less than perfectly fresh produce tastes poorly. Looking forward to hearing your review.

Amanda May 21, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice, Sarina!

Natasha May 21, 2013 at 10:42 am

Amanda,
It’s so fortuitous that I should have found your site today…I also started a juice cleanse yesterday! I was scouring the internet for some muffin recipes for the left over pulp for the rest of the family to enjoy.

I am super excited because my 9 year old wanted to do it with me. We both watched Fork over Knives, and F,S&ND the other day and decided to try it out (my kiddo will not be fasting only just trying the juice in addition to a plant based no SOS diet).
I had the gazpacho lunch juice yesterday and I cant say as I am a fan of the onion…blech!
Are you eating a veggie/fruit meal for dinner too, or strictly the juice?

Amanda May 21, 2013 at 11:09 am

I was just thinking I need to make juicer pulp muffins! I have so much pulp! It seems like such a waste to just throw it away.
I haven’t tried a gazpacho juice yet, but it sounds like it could either be really good or really terrible. haha
I’m doing strictly juice, but I’d be curious to try a veggie/fruit meal for dinner if I do another cleanse.

janet @ the taste space May 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

In my heart of hearts, I know juice cleanses do no cleansing but totally curious about them, too. And while I have a juicer, I don’t even plan on juice feasting… but I will happily live vicariously through you. :)

Amanda May 22, 2013 at 8:41 am

I agree about the cleansing for the most part, too. I think our bodies are pretty good at handling that sans a juice fast. I do think it’s creating a good mental shift though and changing my food cravings. More on that soon. :)