Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles

May 29, 2013

in Ice Cream, Popsicles & Frozen Treats

Coconut Lime Chili Pepper Popsicles
I’ve been wanting to make my own popsicles forever. Nearly every time I bought something on Amazon, I’d think about adding popsicle molds to my cart and then just end up staring longingly at them, ultimately convincing myself that I do not need yet another kitchen gadget. Does anyone else do this? This went on for over a year, which is about as long as it took me to work up to purchasing my Vita-Mix. I guess cost has little to do with the time it takes me to finally pull the trigger.

Coconut Lime Chili Popsicles
My shiny, new popsicle molds arrived last week, along with some fancy raw cacao butter and puppy chew toys. I do not have a problem purchasing specialty ingredients or anything dog-related. In fact, I have zero budgeting skills when it comes to the dogs. The amount of joy I get from watching Honey and Barley run around with a new toy far outweighs the realization that they’ve completely removed the stuffing and destroyed it not ten minutes later.

Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles
Seeing as how I waited for a good year to make my own popsicles, I had all sorts of flavor ideas running through my head. The one that intrigued me the most, however, was a play on cold and hot. Cold popsicle + hot chili pepper. I chose a homemade coconut milk of sorts as the base, thinking that would provide a creamy backdrop to help balance the pepper. I also ate a lot of coconut popsicles as a kid. You know the ones with the pieces of shredded coconut throughout? Those are so good! That’s why I left the blended coconut in this recipe rather than straining it out.

Spicy Coconut Lime Popsicles
And what goes well with coconut? Everything! Lime! I was originally thinking jalapeño peppers for the heat part of these popsicles, but Thai chili peppers ended up being the perfect addition. Just be careful and taste as you go because they are really freaking HOT. And whatever you do, wash your hands (twice) after you chop them. I once itched my eye after I chopped some hot peppers and it’s a lesson I will never forget.

Popsicles
Coconut + lime + chili pepper. I think I was on to something with the whole hot/cold thing.

Homemade Popsicles

Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles (Vegan & GF)
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: about 10 popsicles

Creamy and tangy, cold and hot. These popsicles are a refreshing take on the popular coconut lime combination, with an interesting heat from the Thai chili peppers at the end.
  • 1 C. Dried Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • 2½ Cups Warm Water
  • 4 Medijool Dates, pitted
  • ¼ C. Fresh Lime Juice (about 2-3 limes)
  • Zest of 2 Limes
  • 3 Seeded & Finely Minced Thai Chili Peppers (or to taste)
  • 10 Drops Liquid Stevia (or to taste)
  • Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
  1. Add the coconut, water, and dates to a high speed blender and process on high for one minute.
  2. Pour in the lime juice, zest, chili peppers, stevia and sea salt and blend on the lowest setting for a couple of seconds, just until all ingredients are mixed.
  3. Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness and heat from the chilis if necessary.
  4. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for a few hours, or until completely frozen.
  5. Briefly soak the popsicle molds in very warm water to release the popsicles and enjoy!

These are going to be even better when it hits 90 degrees (!!!) in Boston this week.

dixya| food, pleasure, and health May 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm

i do that a lot on amazon – i have an ice cream maker on the cart right now debating very much because i hoard appliances and never really use it :( i love the hot-cold concept going on here i need to restock my dates and get down to making Popsicle because I bought molds last year and havent really used much!

Amanda May 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I rarely use my ice cream maker, but I should! It’s just easier a lot of the time to use the blender or food processor.
I *think* my popsicle mold, however, will be put to good use. :)

Michelle Collins May 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I love the combination of spicy and sweet. These sound so refreshing and unique!

J / *sparklingly May 29, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Oh me oh my these are RIGHT up my alley! Love creamy coconut and combustible chilies! Perfect combo (and totally with you on the Amazon paralysis! ;)).

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I just bought my popsicle molds and I was in the same place. But I finally pulled the trigger and am SO happy I did!

Amanda May 29, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I don’t know why it takes me so long to buy these things! They make me so happy. :) Glad you too are enjoying homemade popsicles!

Shannon May 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m a huge popsicle fan. They are the fastest to whip up and always satisying in the summer. It’s also a super easy way to get extra fruit & veggies in your diet.

Amanda May 29, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Very true! I’m going to have to experiment with getting some veggies in my popsicles. I think my juicer will come in handy for that!

Lee May 29, 2013 at 9:55 pm

My mom randomly bought me a popsicle mold last time she visited. I’ll have to give these a shot!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 30, 2013 at 10:15 am

I love these so much. the mixture of flavors is literally making me drool thinking about them and how perfect they’d be on a hot summer day (um, like today).

Amanda May 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

I can’t even tell you how happy I am that it finally feels like summer! Longest. winter. ever.

Dina May 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm

it’s so hot today, i’d love to have one of these!

Amanda May 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Definitely a good popsicle day! I’ve already had two. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I bought Popsicle molds last summer. I made Popsicles pretty much every day for 2 weeks after I got them- and haven’t since.
You are definitely right that EVERYTHING goes with coconut- and I loooove the idea of the “shreds” staying in there.
PS- I’ll definitely let you know when we make it to Boston this summer. And you guys should plan a trip out here sometime!!

Amanda May 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Time to break out those popsicle molds! :)
Yes, make sure you let me know when you’re in town! I’d love to meet up. And I so want to take you up on that offer to visit you in Colorado! I only got to spend a day in Denver/Boulder on my drive to SF and I’d love to visit again. All of the hiking you’ve been doing looks incredible!

Cadry June 3, 2013 at 12:00 am

That is funny that it took you so long to commit to buying popsicle molds. It amused me, because I am the exact same way! I keep asking myself, “Do I really need this?” But last year, I was so envious when the temperatures were soaring and everyone in the blogosphere was sucking on homemade popsicles. I came thiiiiiiiiiiis close to finally buying a mold at T.J. Maxx last week, and then I put it back anyway. I think your recipe is going to push me over the edge, though. I love the combo of hot & creamy cool. It sounds fabulous!

Amanda June 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This is the year you should finally get that popsicle mold! Plus, it’s a good excuse to go back to TJ Maxx and do some shopping. ;)

Cadry June 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I like the way you think! ;)

Cate @ Chez CateyLou June 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

I always do that with new kitchen gadgets – I want everything, but know that I have no space for anything new!! But sometimes you just need to treat yourself to something new and fun :) These popsicles sound delicious, and they look so pretty!

Amanda June 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks, Cate! I know what you mean about the space limitations. One day I hope to have a giant kitchen with tons of storage. And then it will be kitchen gadgets galore! :)

Colette @ JFF! June 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Amanda, you devil.
Is it ok to say these are sexy?
Here is a case where ice cream really is sexy!

Amanda June 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm

haha Sure! I’d venture to say ice cream is pretty sexy. ;)

Annie July 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

OK, you’ve done it — convinced me to get popsicle molds! I’ve been dreaming about them too, and this flavor combo is too good.

One quick question… I am stevia-adverse, as I find the flavor too sweet as compared to regular sugar (not a big sweet-tooth anyway). What other option for sweetening the popsicle mixture would you suggest as a substitute? I’m wary of messing with the texture of the mixture, but if it’s frozen anyway does it even matter?

Thanks so much!

Amanda July 9, 2013 at 2:08 pm

That’s awesome! Popsicle molds are so much fun! I just made another coconut variation that I hope to share soon!
As far as the stevia, you may be able to leave it out entirely because the dates will sweeten it and the coconut is naturally on the sweeter side. If you feel like you need a sweetener, I’d recommend coconut sugar, but really I think most will work (agave, coconut nectar, take your pick!).

Annie July 9, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Very helpful, thanks a ton for your response!