Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles

Coconut Lime Chili Pepper Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest
I’ve been wanting to make my own popsicles forever. Nearly every time I bought something on Amazon, I’d think about adding popsicle molds to my cart and then just end up staring longingly at them, ultimately convincing myself that I do not need yet another kitchen gadget. Does anyone else do this? This went on for over a year, which is about as long as it took me to work up to purchasing my Vita-Mix. I guess cost has little to do with the time it takes me to finally pull the trigger.

Coconut Lime Chili Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest
My shiny, new popsicle molds arrived last week, along with some fancy raw cacao butter and puppy chew toys. I do not have a problem purchasing specialty ingredients or anything dog-related. In fact, I have zero budgeting skills when it comes to the dogs. The amount of joy I get from watching Honey and Barley run around with a new toy far outweighs the realization that they’ve completely removed the stuffing and destroyed it not ten minutes later.

Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest
Seeing as how I waited for a good year to make my own popsicles, I had all sorts of flavor ideas running through my head. The one that intrigued me the most, however, was a play on cold and hot. Cold popsicle + hot chili pepper. I chose a homemade coconut milk of sorts as the base, thinking that would provide a creamy backdrop to help balance the pepper. I also ate a lot of coconut popsicles as a kid. You know the ones with the pieces of shredded coconut throughout? Those are so good! That’s why I left the blended coconut in this recipe rather than straining it out.

Spicy Coconut Lime Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest
And what goes well with coconut? Everything! Lime! I was originally thinking jalapeño peppers for the heat part of these popsicles, but Thai chili peppers ended up being the perfect addition. Just be careful and taste as you go because they are really freaking HOT. And whatever you do, wash your hands (twice) after you chop them. I once itched my eye after I chopped some hot peppers and it’s a lesson I will never forget.

Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest
Coconut + lime + chili pepper. I think I was on to something with the whole hot/cold thing.

Homemade Popsicles Follow Me on Pinterest

Coconut Lime Thai Chili Popsicles (Vegan & GF)

Prep time
Total time

Creamy and tangy, cold and hot. These popsicles are a refreshing take on the popular coconut lime combination, with an interesting heat from the Thai chili peppers at the end.
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: about 10 popsicles
  • 1 C. Dried Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • 2½ Cups Warm Water
  • 4 Medijool Dates, pitted
  • ¼ C. Fresh Lime Juice (about 2-3 limes)
  • Zest of 2 Limes
  • 3 Seeded & Finely Minced Thai Chili Peppers (or to taste)
  • 10 Drops Liquid Stevia (or to taste)
  • Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
  1. Add the coconut, water, and dates to a high speed blender and process on high for one minute.
  2. Pour in the lime juice, zest, chili peppers, stevia and sea salt and blend on the lowest setting for a couple of seconds, just until all ingredients are mixed.
  3. Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness and heat from the chilis if necessary.
  4. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for a few hours, or until completely frozen.
  5. Briefly soak the popsicle molds in very warm water to release the popsicles and enjoy!

These are going to be even better when it hits 90 degrees (!!!) in Boston this week.

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

i do that a lot on amazon – i have an ice cream maker on the cart right now debating very much because i hoard appliances and never really use it :( i love the hot-cold concept going on here i need to restock my dates and get down to making Popsicle because I bought molds last year and havent really used much!

I rarely use my ice cream maker, but I should! It’s just easier a lot of the time to use the blender or food processor.
      I *think* my popsicle mold, however, will be put to good use. :)

I don’t know why it takes me so long to buy these things! They make me so happy. :) Glad you too are enjoying homemade popsicles!

I’m a huge popsicle fan. They are the fastest to whip up and always satisying in the summer. It’s also a super easy way to get extra fruit & veggies in your diet.

Very true! I’m going to have to experiment with getting some veggies in my popsicles. I think my juicer will come in handy for that!

I bought Popsicle molds last summer. I made Popsicles pretty much every day for 2 weeks after I got them- and haven’t since.
    You are definitely right that EVERYTHING goes with coconut- and I loooove the idea of the “shreds” staying in there.
    PS- I’ll definitely let you know when we make it to Boston this summer. And you guys should plan a trip out here sometime!!

Time to break out those popsicle molds! :)
      Yes, make sure you let me know when you’re in town! I’d love to meet up. And I so want to take you up on that offer to visit you in Colorado! I only got to spend a day in Denver/Boulder on my drive to SF and I’d love to visit again. All of the hiking you’ve been doing looks incredible!

That is funny that it took you so long to commit to buying popsicle molds. It amused me, because I am the exact same way! I keep asking myself, “Do I really need this?” But last year, I was so envious when the temperatures were soaring and everyone in the blogosphere was sucking on homemade popsicles. I came thiiiiiiiiiiis close to finally buying a mold at T.J. Maxx last week, and then I put it back anyway. I think your recipe is going to push me over the edge, though. I love the combo of hot & creamy cool. It sounds fabulous!

I always do that with new kitchen gadgets – I want everything, but know that I have no space for anything new!! But sometimes you just need to treat yourself to something new and fun :) These popsicles sound delicious, and they look so pretty!

Thanks, Cate! I know what you mean about the space limitations. One day I hope to have a giant kitchen with tons of storage. And then it will be kitchen gadgets galore! :)

6. Annie says

OK, you’ve done it — convinced me to get popsicle molds! I’ve been dreaming about them too, and this flavor combo is too good.

One quick question… I am stevia-adverse, as I find the flavor too sweet as compared to regular sugar (not a big sweet-tooth anyway). What other option for sweetening the popsicle mixture would you suggest as a substitute? I’m wary of messing with the texture of the mixture, but if it’s frozen anyway does it even matter?

Thanks so much!

That’s awesome! Popsicle molds are so much fun! I just made another coconut variation that I hope to share soon!
      As far as the stevia, you may be able to leave it out entirely because the dates will sweeten it and the coconut is naturally on the sweeter side. If you feel like you need a sweetener, I’d recommend coconut sugar, but really I think most will work (agave, coconut nectar, take your pick!).

Trackbacks