More Personal

January 6, 2014

in Blogging

Produce

I mentioned in my last post that I don’t really do New Year’s resolutions. I tend to mostly focus on baby steps throughout the year – getting closer and closer to what feels right – and then usually looking back and realizing those small changes added up to something big. I do, however, like to use January to reflect and check in on how things are going, make little tweaks as necessary, and visualize how I want to spend my time in the coming months.

Since October 2011, blogging has become one of my greatest sources of happiness. I’ve always liked writing, and now I let myself do it for fun. I’ve always wanted a project to share with Aaron, and now we collaborate on photography. And I’ve always enjoyed taking care of others, and now I like to think I do that through food.

I’m currently thinking about what I want to do with Pickles & Honey in 2014, and while I don’t have anything concrete just yet, I do know I want to do more. More recipes. More life and career musings. More puggles (Honey and Barley are why you read, right?).

Barley in the Snow

My goal is always to put myself into everything I write, but I’m thinking “more personal” may be my intention for the next year. What do you think?

What would you like to read and see more of? I can look up which posts get the most traffic, but I’d love to know what resonates the most with you (and if you’d rather not share in the comments, please feel free to email).

xo
Amanda

P.S. I will have some chocolate for you later this week. I figured we could all use a little post-holidays treat!

ladygenj | a feathery*nest January 6, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I always like seeing how other people live and do and work and play etc, so definitely a big yes to more personal posts (and more puggles)!
ladygenj | a feathery*nest recently posted…Week 1

Abby January 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Personal is the best! That + tasty yummies (+ puggles) = perfect.
Abby recently posted…Hopeful Adventurer

Caitlin January 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm

that sounds like a great idea! i’m all about more personal writing ;) i’d love to read more about living in boston, daily life stuff, daily food stuff, life reflections, and anything else you want to share!
Caitlin recently posted…Favorites | On Friday

Amanda January 6, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I was thinking of your blog when I considered more personal posts. :)

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I would love to read more about your life! But I would still like to see tons of new recipes :) I always love them for inspiration!

Laura S. January 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I love your recipes because they are GF, relatively easy and always turn out fabulous, so please keep ‘em coming! I also enjoy when you share about your life or your struggles (like your venting a couple weeks ago) because we all can relate.

And anytime you want to post about chocolate would be absolutely fine with me. :-)

I am thinking of starting a blog so any advice is certainly welcome! I have the domain name and my hubby and I have thought of a couple subjects I could post but I guess I am just a bit hesitant to take the leap… :-)

Amanda January 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks for the feedback, Laura! How exciting that you’re thinking about starting a blog! I’ve received a few requests for advice on blogging recently, so perhaps a post is in order. :) The first thing that comes to mind is: focus on your passions. Don’t worry about what you think you should write about. Focus on what drives you. When you’re passionate about something, everything else (including growing readership) will fall into place.

Katie @ Produce on Parade January 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I always love reading about vegan recipes :) and the puggles are pretty sweet too! :)
Katie @ Produce on Parade recently posted…Black Bean & Sweet Potato Superfood Soup

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! January 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Blog from your heart; that’s what I love to read :)
Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Falafel Pie

Kenya January 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Personally, I love to hear about people’s daily lives, what you like/dislike about where you live, places you’ve been, what their dreams and goals are (& how they are going about accomplishing them), etc. In particular, I would like to hear more about your work life, why you left your full time job, how you prepared to leave (did you have a stash to live on while you work on other things? Aren’t you scared you’ll be homeless?!..not to be dramatic but that’s an obsessive fear of mine when thinking about leaving my job)..I’d like to hear about what your professional goals are, things like that :)

Amanda January 8, 2014 at 4:11 pm

This is great feedback – thank you! With regard to leaving my job, there is still certainly more I can share, but I wrote a handful of posts under the happiness category that you can read. This post sums it up well. And yes – the financial aspect of leaving full-time employment is scary! Planning + patience in terms of timing was absolutely key for me.