Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas

January 28, 2014

in Snacks

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas // picklesnhoney.com

Were you aware that the Super Bowl is this Sunday? The only reason I know this is from reading blogs. Football has never interested me, though I did once date a football player in high school and let me tell you, he was a player all around.

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas // picklesnhoney.com

Bad high school decisions aside, allow me to make a more current confession: I get a lot of my news from blogs. We ditched cable last summer to save some money and encourage more mindful TV habits (another confession: I had a Bravo/Real Housewives “problem”). I love life without cable, but I will readily admit that I’m prone to being out of touch with what’s happening outside of my own bubble. Movies currently in theaters? No idea. What’s happening on The Bachelor? This is no longer taking up mental space. World news? Thankfully, I do periodically read the NY Times, though I confess I deliberately take breaks to avoid the “everything is terrible” mentality that inevitably happens when I check-in daily.

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas // picklesnhoney.com

Football is not anywhere on my radar. Except for this week, when all of my favorite bloggers post comfort food and Super Bowl-appropriate snacks and my “pin it” button gets a workout. And despite being out of touch with most current events and definitely sports, I realize that you might be really excited about the Super Bowl. Or maybe, like me, you also only kinda-sorta care about the ads and the halftime show, although I couldn’t tell you who’s performing.

All of this is to say: I made you some crave-worthy roasted chickpeas. Again.

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas // picklesnhoney.com

They’re Super Bowl-worthy (if that’s your thing), salty-sweet, and with in interesting flavor profile courtesy of a chili orange fennel trifecta. So go [insert whoever is playing here]!

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas // picklesnhoney.com

Final confession: I don’t know who’s playing. What I do know is that I will be eating these on Sunday…if they last that long.

Sweet Chili Orange Fennel Roasted Chickpeas
Recipe type: Snack
Cook time:
Serves: about 3 cups roasted chickpeas

Planning your Super Bowl party menu? Me neither. But whether football is your thing or you're like me and will maybe watch the halftime show, these roasted chickpeas are definitely party-worthy with a salty-sweet, interesting flavor profile. Chili orange fennel is one hell of a combination, and these make a great alternative to chips!
  • 3 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1½ tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
  • ½ tablespoon ground fennel
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • orange zest for garnish
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place them in a large bowl.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the orange zest, to the chickpeas and toss to combine, making sure the chickpeas are evenly coated.
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  5. Transfer the chickpeas to the prepared baking sheet and spread them into an even layer.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool slightly, sprinkle with fresh orange zest, and enjoy!
I much prefer to use dried chickpeas over canned. The flavor and texture is a million times better, they’re significantly cheaper, and the prep work is minimal. Simply rinse your dried chickpeas the day before you plan to use them, put them in a container filled with water (completely submerge them with several inches of water on top – they’ll absorb a lot), and allow them to soak in the fridge overnight. Then, before you use them, drain the water and rinse the chickpeas. Place the chickpeas into a pot, cover them with fresh water, and bring them to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer until cooked (this usually takes me about 45 minutes).

xo
Amanda

Michelle Lahey January 28, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Yum! These sound delicious. And I, too, have a “Real Housewives” problem. Ugh.
Michelle Lahey recently posted…Vegetarian-Friendly Super Bowl Recipes

Amanda January 29, 2014 at 9:32 am

I equate the Real Housewives shows to junk food – so good in the moment, and then not-so-good immediately after. It’s hard to quit though!

Michelle Lahey January 29, 2014 at 4:09 pm

So true! I have anxiety after watching each episode, haha, but somehow I can’t quit!
Michelle Lahey recently posted…Dinner at Rialto

Caitlin January 28, 2014 at 1:49 pm

haha…with a husband who lives and breathes sports, i’ve known the date of the superbowl for months. i wish we could get rid of cable, but dayv subscribes to the special nfl redzone package on comcast…he needs his sports!

i’ll just sit in the corner on sunday, while him and his friends yell at the tv, and eat these chickpeas.
Caitlin recently posted…From the Weekend | Embracing the indoors

Amanda January 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

Yes, make yourself a bowl of roasted chickpeas and watch the puppy bowl instead. Puppies > football.

Emma January 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I’m in England so wouldn’t have even known about the sports event if it weren’t for reading blogs! I can definitely get behind all the tasty snacks even if not the football!
The flavour combination you’ve used with these sounds really interesting.
Emma recently posted…My Juice Cleanse Experience with Raw & Juicy

Amanda January 29, 2014 at 9:35 am

I think we’re on the same page with the tasty snacks and skipping the football!

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 29, 2014 at 8:51 am

HA! Love it! I do the same thing, I go back and forth from feeling like I should be informed and reading the news and then realizing how depressing it is and stepping away for a while. I wish they would report more inspiring stories!
Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day recently posted…WIAW #63

Amanda January 29, 2014 at 9:39 am

I agree about wanting the news to not be so doom and gloom all the time. Part of me feels like it’s important to be informed, but another part has realized that too much news just makes me feel hopeless – which is totally counterproductive. There’s got to be a balance!

Cadry February 5, 2014 at 12:16 am

Wow, what a spectacular take on roasted chickpeas! I love the multi-layers of flavors. I wouldn’t have thought to put all of those together with chickpeas, but it sounds marvelous.

Without Facebook and blogs, I wouldn’t have known about the Superbowl either. I’m not a sports fan of any kind, and thankfully for me, my husband isn’t either. We spent Sunday afternoon running errands in delightfully empty stores! :)
Cadry recently posted…Review: Viva La Vegan Grocery Express in Santa Monica

Amanda February 5, 2014 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Cadry! I tend to be hit or miss when it comes to fennel, but I remember trying something from Pure Food & Wine that had chili powder and fennel and it was such a great combination. And well, orange and fennel just works. :)
I love it when the stores are empty! We timed our Trader Joe’s shopping around the Superbowl, and it was so nice since it’s always insane there.