Sweet & Simple Marzipan Truffles

February 7, 2014

in Other Desserts

Vegan Marzipan Truffles // picklesnhoney.com

Well, it seems to be full-blown flu season around here, and just about everyone I know is recovering from something unpleasant. Aaron, who almost never gets sick, is down and out, but still trying to power through his work week. I’m feeling the first inklings of an achy, tired, head cold and making it my mission to eat all the kale. This is not much different from other weeks though.

Vegan Marzipan Truffles // picklesnhoney.com

Winter sickness aside, I wanted to share this Valentine’s-Day-appropriate (if that’s your thing), crazy simple, seriously delicious recipe for marzipan truffles. It’s so easy, even those of us who are battling the flu can likely muster up the energy to make them. And we can thank my dad for the idea. He emailed me last week with a link to a vegan marzipan recipe that was at least fifty percent processed white sugar and asked if I could come up with a healthier alternative.

Vegan Marzipan Truffles // picklesnhoney.com

Ask and you shall receive! I get giddy when it comes to taking traditional recipes and health-ifying them, trying to find that sweet spot between decadent and energizing, as opposed to short-lived sugar high followed by need-to-take-a-nap.

Vegan Marzipan Truffles // picklesnhoney.com

I’ve professed my obsession with almond extract before and I will say it again: that stuff is heaven. Intoxicating. Comfort in a bottle. And these truffles are heavy on the almonds and almond extract – as marzipan should be. I used light agave nectar in place of white sugar, both for it’s neutral flavor and ability to bind everything together with ease, along with a small pinch of sea salt to enhance the sweetness. That’s it!

You can roll the marzipan into balls and enjoy them in all of their simple glory, or you can take things up a notch and do what I did, which was to toss a few of each in coconut, roasted pistachios, cinnamon and coconut sugar, and raw cacao powder for your very own beautiful, homemade assortment of truffles. Each of these toppings pairs perfectly with the marzipan, though I particularly enjoyed the contrast of the more bitter cacao and sweet almond filling. Any excuse to eat chocolate.

Vegan Marzipan Truffles // picklesnhoney.com

Sweet & Simple Marzipan Truffles (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: about 16 truffles

Valentine's-Day-appropriate (if that's your thing), crazy simple, and seriously delicious. Toss a few of each in coconut, roasted pistachios, cinnamon and coconut sugar, and raw cacao powder for your very own beautiful, homemade assortment of marzipan truffles.
For the marzipan:
  • 2 cups raw slivered almonds, skins removed
  • 4½ tablespoons light agave nectar
  • 2½ teaspoons almond extract
  • pinch of fine sea salt
For the optional toppings:
  • unsweetened coconut flakes*
  • roasted pistachios*
  • cinnamon & coconut sugar
  • raw cacao powder
  • *pulse the coconut and pistachios into small pieces in the blender or food processor before rolling the truffles
  1. Place the almonds in a food processor and process until fine and crumbly (about 30 seconds).
  2. To the food processor, add the agave nectar, almond extract, and sea salt, and process until the mixture begins to form a ball on the blade (about 1-2 minutes, depending on your processor). You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
  3. Using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon, scoop out balls of marzipan and roll them in your hands until smooth.
  4. Toss the marzipan balls in the toppings, or enjoy them as-is!
  5. Marzipan truffles should be stored in a container in the refrigerator.
Almond extracts can vary depending on which you use. I used the Whole Foods Organic 365 brand for my marzipan. I recommend adding it in ½ teaspoon increments and tasting as you go to achieve your ideal almond flavor. Same goes with the agave - taste as you go and feel free to adjust the sweetness to your preferred taste.

Have a wonderful, hopefully flu-free and truffle-filled weekend!

xo
Amanda

Elyse @myveganp February 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Love, love, LOVE this! I usually shy away from it these days due to the refined sugar ingredients and the usual egg whites. These look incredible. I’m totally with you about the almond extract obsession…so good!

Have you tried this out with raw almonds with skin? I imagine texture wouldn’t work, but wonder if it would be ok…maybe just a lil’ rustic? :)

Amanda February 7, 2014 at 11:33 am

I had no idea marzipan even had egg whites until I started looking at recipes – not necessary at all!
I haven’t tried it with raw almonds with skin, but like you said, I imagine they would produce a more textured, rustic consistency. I’m sure it will work, it just may not have the smoothness of traditional marzipan.

Caitlin February 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

these just look absolutely phenomenal. i’m salivating. i want ALL the truffles. and i completely agree with you on almond extract, sometimes i’ll open the bottle just to inhale it ;)

ps- how cute is your dad emailing you recipes to healthify?!
Caitlin recently posted…Favorites | On Friday

Amanda February 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I’m so glad someone else does this with the almond extract! haha

Lee February 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Yum. I’ve always loved marzipan.
Lee recently posted…Alexander: 2 Weeks

Amanda February 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm

It fell off my radar for a little while, but now I’m marzipan-obsessed!

Emma February 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I am definitely making these! I’m both a marzipan and an almond extract lover too and have made your banana almond smoothie many a time.
Thanks for healthy-ing up this recipe for us :)
Emma recently posted…Apple Chai-Spiced Baked Oats

Amanda February 7, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Oh, I’m so glad you like my banana almond smoothie recipe! I’d love to hear your thoughts on the truffles after you make them.

Katie @ Produce on Parade February 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Dude! These are cool! I never really liked marzipan, I only eat it because it reminds me of good childhood memories, but I think it’s growing on me. I’ll have to try these. Yum! Thanks for sharing :D
Katie @ Produce on Parade recently posted…Grecian Kalamata Pasta

Amanda February 9, 2014 at 11:47 am

I hope you’ll revisit marzipan! These are so good. I’m already thinking about making more!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} February 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Yum! I loved marzipan as a child but haven’t eaten it in years. These truffles look so tempting. Love that you formed them into a heart.
Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} recently posted…Healthy Vegan Fridays #4: North Coast Naturals Giveaway Edition

Amanda February 9, 2014 at 11:47 am

Food styling credit goes to Aaron on this one. The heart shape was all him!

J | ladygenj | afeathery*nest February 8, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Goodness, so easy! Must make these pronto. Thanks for sharing!

(And, HA at “eat all the kale” being the same every week ;) ).
J | ladygenj | afeathery*nest recently posted…The waiting game…and spilt milk

Amanda February 9, 2014 at 11:48 am

They’re SO easy to make! Definitely let me know if you make them!

Marie February 10, 2014 at 9:08 am

My boyfriend is also battling a cold. I know he loves marzipan and this recipe would make him very happy! Do you think it could work with almond meal? It would be a lazy version :)

Amanda February 10, 2014 at 9:15 am

I’m sure your boyfriend would appreciate some marzipan! Someone else also asked about trying the recipe with raw almonds with skin – similar to almond meal. I imagine the marzipan would have a slightly more textured, rustic consistency, but I’m sure it will work and be delicious. :) Please report back if you use almond meal!

Marie February 10, 2014 at 9:34 am

Ah, well on my almond meal bag, it’s written it’s made from blanched whole almonds (it’s Bob’s Red Mill). I guess I have my answer.
I’m so making these. Thank you!

Stefanie February 10, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Wow, this is such a good idea! When I first read “marzipan” I was like, ew. But your recipe actually sounds fantastic!
Stefanie recently posted…Tarjay

Amanda February 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thanks, Stefanie! I’m really happy with how the truffles turned out. Better than expected!

Audra February 11, 2014 at 8:34 am

Your recipe looks wonderful! I don’t use agave and was wondering if you think maple syrup would work as a replacement? Or coconut nectar? Thanks!

Amanda February 11, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks, Audra! I think either should work, but the maple syrup will obviously alter the flavor. If you’re looking to keep the almond as the main flavor, I’d probably try coconut nectar over maple syrup since it’s not quite as pronounced. Let me know how they turn out!

Lauren February 11, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I LOVE marzipan! I can’t wait to make these tonight! :)

Amanda February 11, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Awesome! I hope you love the truffles, Lauren!

Gabby @ the veggie nook February 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I absolutely love this! I have ad a real craving for chocolate-covered marzipan recently (don’t ask me why) and now I have a way to satisfy it healthfully :o)
Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…{from left to write} prayers for the stolen

Amanda February 18, 2014 at 8:44 am

That is a very specific craving! haha I hope you enjoy the truffles, Gabby!