Maple Cinnamon Chamomile Tea Latte

Non-Dairy Maple Cinnamon Chamomile Tea Latte // picklesnhoney.com

As a little kid, I remember being offered chamomile tea when I would get sick. I distinctly recall hating the flowery taste, and the fact that I only drank it when I had a cold or the flu…well, that certainly didn’t help. For years, I have avoided chamomile tea thinking that I didn’t like it.

This past October, Aaron and I were enjoying that amazing long weekend in NYC. We stopped into Jack’s Stir Brew Coffee on the recommendation of the woman whose apartment we were renting. It was so adorable (you can read more about it here) and having made it my mission to consume as many seasonally-spiced, hot beverages as possible while in the city, I ordered a hot apple cider.

Unfortunately, Jack’s was all out. Instead, the barista enthusiastically offered to whip up something equally Fall-appropriate and I let her do her thing. She handed me a lightly sweetened chamomile tea latte made with soy milk and cinnamon and I braced myself to smile politely and pretend to enjoy it.

That’s when I realized I actually do like chamomile tea. I really, really like it.

Non-Dairy Maple Cinnamon Chamomile Tea Latte // picklesnhoney.com

Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe they were just off every time I tried it as a kid, thanks to those winter head colds that make most foods taste different and bland.  It’s a little funny that it took getting sick this month to make me think of chamomile tea once again and finally re-create a variation of that latte I loved so much in New York.

Non-Dairy Maple Cinnamon Chamomile Tea Latte // picklesnhoney.com

Maple Cinnamon Chamomile Tea Latte (Vegan)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Inspired by a chamomile tea latte from my long weekend in NYC this past Fall. My version uses maple syrup as the sweetener and a homemade cashew milk base. It pairs perfectly with a cookie (or two) for dunking.
Recipe type: Drinks
Serves: 1
  • ¾ cup filtered water
  • ¾ cup cashew milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
  • 2-3 chamomile tea bags (depending on how strong you like your tea)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • tiny pinch fine sea salt
  1. Add the water to a small saucepan, cover with a lid, and bring it to a boil over high heat.
  2. Turn off the heat and add in the chamomile tea bags. Cover the saucepan and allow the tea to steep for 5-7 minutes. You want it to be very strong.
  3. Remove the tea bags and add in the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
  4. Turn the heat back on to medium and stir continuously until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
  5. Turn off the heat, pour into your favorite mug, and enjoy!
  6. Optional: Use a milk frother to create a luxurious layer of foam for your latte.

If you think you don’t like chamomile tea, give this latte a try.

xo
Amanda

Get Recipes by Email!

Comments

I love chamomile tea. I drink it almost nightly. I just buy the loose flowers in the bulk spices section at the natural grocery store and use a tea ball for steeping in hot water. I sleep really deeply when I drink it with strong, lucid dreams. I love the addition of cashew milk in your latte! I always just drink chamomile by itself, but this sounds delicious. Plus, cashew milk is my favorite non-dairy milk.
    Cadry recently posted…5 Minute Vegan Breakfast: Eggy Tofu & Toast

I would love to find a place near me to buy the loose chamomile flowers. Your nightly routine sounds very relaxing, and now I’m curious to see if I’ll sleep more deeply and have more lucid dreams post-chamomile tea…

I’ve never really been a big tea drinker (which is weird since my dad is English!) but I do sometimes like it in a latte. This one sounds great, with really complementary flavors. Plus right now anything warm sounds pretty good :)
    Ashley recently posted…Sweet Eats

So funny—my childhood/sickly tea was English Breakfast, which I loathe to this day because it reminds me of being achy and snuffly. Not sure if even you and your magical recipe creation abilities could make that into something palatable for me (but if you try it, let me know bc drink above looks divine! ;) ).
    J | ladygenj | afeathery*nest recently posted…Week 7

I can’t even remember the last time I had English Breakfast, but my mom always used to keep some in the cupboard. It’s so interesting how certain foods/drinks have such strong associations.

I’ve never been a fan of chamomile tea really. There’s only one kind I have ever liked but it came from a tea store that has since gone out of business and now I can’t figure out the brand! Ah well. I should probably try this and learn to love the brands I have :)

It’s funny you mention not liking it partly because you only drank it when you were sick. I have such a love for the things I would eat when I was sick because they are so comforting! Black tea with lots of honey, plain buttered toast (well now vegan buttered toast) and plain pasta shells with jarred tomato sauce. Those are my go to comforts!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…{from left to write} prayers for the stolen

5. Nichole says

I just made a batch of this and it’s delicious. Perfect for an afternoon on the couch reading, thank you for sharing :)

This sounds wonderful! I grew up drinking tea, I guess lattes because I always had milk in mine. My parents weren’t coffee drinkers, they always had loose leaf tea!

Like Cadry, I have a nightly ritual of drinking chamomile tea. I buy the loose flowers as well, but I get mine online at iherb.com and have an infuser not the tea ball. I drink mine with just a bit of agave to sweeten it.
    Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} recently posted…Healthy Vegan Friday #6