Dehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie

May 12, 2014

in Drinks

Dehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie | picklesnhoney.com

I am going through a smoothie phase right now. Well, not so much a phase since I drink them year-round, so maybe more like a smoothie reinvigoration? It finally hit the 80s in Boston this weekend and it’s supposed to do the same today and I cannot even tell you how happy this makes me. I thought it might never be warm again. Ever.

As soon as the temperatures heat up, all I want is sorbet and popsicles and coconut water and smoothies. And watermelon. I would say I live on watermelon from June through August. I almost picked one up at Trader Joe’s on Saturday, but I think it’s too early and will probably be all kinds of sad, dry and mealy, similar to the peaches Aaron insisted we buy at Whole Foods. Money not well spent. Peaches are tricky though.

This smoothie, on the other hand, really hit the spot. I used much more reliable sweet frozen pineapple and fresh mint as the predominant flavors, inspired by a pineapple mint juice I often made last summer. To that I added raw coconut water (see previous coconut water obsession) and further enhanced the hydration benefits with chopped cucumber, as well as a generous helping of baby spinach and pea shoots for awesome greens power. And then! I kicked things up even further with some healthy fats to help make this a more filling, blood-sugar balancing smoothie, using hemp seeds (I love them for protein too) and a little unrefined coconut oil. By this point, I was really in a smoothie groove, and so I finished it all off with a pinch of ground ginger for a subtle kick of spice. Ginger, like turmeric, is also a potent anti-inflammatory.

Dehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie | picklesnhoney.comDehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie | picklesnhoney.comDehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie | picklesnhoney.comDehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie | picklesnhoney.com

This smoothie is light, refreshing and perfect for late Spring into Summer. Also, I just realized we can totally swap out the pineapple for frozen watermelon cubes in a month or so: watermelon cucumber mint smoothie. That sounds kind of awesome, right?

Dehydration-Busting Pineapple Cucumber Mint Smoothie
Recipe type: Smoothie
Serves: 1-2

• 1 cup raw coconut water
  • ½ cup filtered water
  • 1½ cups frozen pineapple cubes
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • large handful baby spinach
  • small handful fresh mint leaves
  • small handful pea shoots
  • 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
  • 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
  • pinch ground ginger (or freshly grated ginger)
  1. Add all ingredients to the blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until very smooth. Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!

Photography by Aaron Scott.

xo
Amanda

Ashley May 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE the combo of pineapple and mint. This smoothie looks so refreshing!

I picked up a watermelon last week and it was not worth it, so your instinct is correct there. I mean, it was decently juicy, but just didn’t have a ton of flavor. Womp womp.

Also, I have a sinking feeling that a lot of the produce that grows locally around here either isn’t going to be great this year, or is going to have a pretty late (and very short!) season. I’ve noticed that happen before after a particularly rough Boston winter.
Ashley recently posted…Giveaway Winner! And Watermelon

Amanda May 13, 2014 at 8:25 am

Glad I held off on the watermelon!

Emma May 12, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I’m feeling refreshed just looking at this smoothie.
I’m just rediscovering pineapple as well. For some reason I was convinced I didn’t like it?! Crazy stuff.
Emma recently posted…Coconut Pancakes with Berries & Coconut Cream

Amanda May 13, 2014 at 8:26 am

Not like pineapple?! ;) I’ve been eating the frozen cubes of it as a snack recently, in addition to using it in smoothies. It’s so good!

Shannon May 12, 2014 at 7:53 pm

A few weeks ago I had pineapple mint juice at a restaurant on a super hot day and it hit the spot. Such a good & refreshing combo. This smoothie reminds me of that, plus way more filling and nutritious!
Shannon recently posted…Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Pineapple Salsa Verde

Amanda May 13, 2014 at 8:27 am

Pineapple mint is lovely, isn’t it? I’m thinking I may need to use those flavors in a cocktail recipe soon…

Lee May 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Looks delicious.
Lee recently posted…Tucker Day and Mother’s Day

Amanda May 13, 2014 at 8:27 am

Thanks, Lee!

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day May 13, 2014 at 7:01 am

This looks awesome! The weather has been seriously gorgeous the past few days, hopefully we’ll get back there soon! LOVE these photos by the way, I feel like they should be the front of a Martha Stewart magazine or something :)
Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day recently posted…BBQ Chicken & Avocado Baked Egg Rolls

Amanda May 13, 2014 at 8:28 am

Thank you!! Aaron said he was going for a lush jungle sort of feel with the photos. haha

Monique May 13, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I tried this smoothie today and it was delicious! I just used fresh pineapple instead and left out the pea shoots since I didn’t have them around. Next time (that wil be tomorrow :) I will freeze the pineapple like you did or use ice cubes instead of water to make it very cold. Loved the mint! And yes, beautiful website and pictures!

Amanda May 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked the smoothie, Monique!

Allison @ Clean Wellness May 14, 2014 at 11:11 am

I think I need to make this immediately. When it gets hot, all I want is smoothies and coconut water. Love the idea of adding sprouts, I’ve never done that!
Allison @ Clean Wellness recently posted…Miso Mango Soft Tacos (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Amanda May 14, 2014 at 11:31 am

The sprouts are great because they have such a mild flavor, but really up the nutrition. I hope you love the smoothie, Allison!

Gabby @ the veggie nook May 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Yum! I am in a smoothie phase right now too and this seems like just the thing to mix it up!
Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…oatmeal brûlée

Lauren May 15, 2014 at 12:26 pm

This looks delicious Amanda! Sheesh, it’s been in the 80s here since December! I kind of envy the fact that you at least get some semblance of a winter. :-/

I can never choose good watermelons or peaches…or grapes or cherries for that matter, so I totally get you there.

This smoothie, however, is perfect for me right now. I have a bunch of fresh mint just sitting in my fridge. I tried using it in a chocolate mint smoothie for my husband, and that didn’t go over too well. I will definitely be giving this a try though! Hope you’re doing well girl. :-)
Lauren recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday (5/14/14)

Amanda May 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm

You did not want to winter we had here – it was terrible! Next year, come see me in February and then we’ll talk. ;)

Ceil June 3, 2014 at 7:01 am

Hi Amanda,

This looks sooo refreshing, I can’t wait to try it! I don’t have access to baby spinach, pea shoots or hemp seeds, but occasionally can find decent spinach, so I’ll just have to make do. :) Please tell your hubby that I love his creativity in displaying your creations. The two of you have an awesome partnership.

Warmest wishes,

Ceil

Amanda June 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you, Ceil! I will pass along your compliment to Aaron. :) The smoothie is easily adaptable to whatever greens and seeds you have available, so I am sure you will come up with a delicious alternative recipe.