NYC may have missed out on all of the excessive snowy glory of the last two days, but Boston got it in spades. I can’t ever remember getting this much snow at once, though it’s possible I’ve blocked it from my memory because it was too traumatizing. The snow itself was kind of perfect—light and fluffy and ideal for skiing or snow shoeing (neither of which we own). But being in a highly populated area, there is just nowhere to put it! The snow banks are taller than me and we’ll be lucky if it melts in time for summer.
On the plus side, Aaron and I changed up our workout routines for one of the best exercises of all: shoveling. Round after round…after round. I foresee a serious foam rolling session in my future because my back is feeeeeeling it! All of this shoveling (and shoveling some more, all while remembering our old GARAGED parking space) made us insatiably hungry. Give me all the carbs!!! And coffee!! I don’t even normally drink coffee.
But, one should not survive on caffeine and sweet potato chips and guacamole alone. That’s where these easy, pop-em-in-the-oven freezer burritos come in. I made a double batch of my chickpea and red cabbage scramble last week, and wrapped half in soft spinach tortillas (you could use any tortilla flavor your like) with some leftover brown rice and a sprinkling of sliced green onions and vegan shredded cheese. The cheese is optional and we rarely buy it because nutritional yeast usually gets the job done in a more healthful way, but there’s something about biting into a burrito with warm, melty cheese…occasionally you just have to do it.
Dipped in your favorite spicy salsa, this is one comforting, filling, and EASY meal for those hangry post-shoveling types of moments when you could very easily go to town on an entire bag of sweet potato chips and a vat of guacamole. This is a better idea, trust me.
Photography by Aaron Scott
Let us know if you give these freezer-friendly burritos a try! Leave a comment or tag an Instagram photo #picklesnhoney so we can see and be sure to tell us what you think!
- 4 large tortillas
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, seasoned with sea salt & pepper
- 1 batch prepared chickpea scramble
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salsa for serving
- Divide the rice mixture amongst each of the tortillas. Top the rice with the chickpea scramble, vegan cheese (if using), and a few sliced green onions. Wrap the burritos.
- Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap, followed by a second layer of foil. Freeze the burritos in a large freezer bag.
- To re-heat the burritos, carefully remove the foil and plastic wrap, then re-wrap them in the foil. Heat them at 400ºF for about 40-45 minutes, or until heated through. Serve with salsa and enjoy!
Who else is ready for summer?
LA friends—I don’t even want to hear about your weather. (I’m kidding—please let me live vicariously through your sunny, beachy “winter”!)