Biscuits were not really on my radar pre-food blogging. If I ate them growing up, it was most definitely at friends’ houses and almost certainly a biscuit from one of those weird pop-open tubes in the refrigerated section. Sort of related: I just had flashbacks of my best friend’s brother eating cookie dough straight out of a similar tube. As in, eating it like a candy bar. And this was a regular occurrence! My teeth hurt just thinking about it.
But when you add sweet potato to biscuits, you have my attention.
These vegan biscuits could not be any more simple or easy, and one bite in, you’ll be so happy you took the small amount of time to make them and NOT pop the pre-made stuff out of a cardboard tube.
Light and fluffy, ever so subtly sweet, and adorably orange ← I have a thing for orange. And hot pink, but that might be weird for biscuits? Actually, maybe not…
This recipe requires only 8 ingredients, 1 bowl and less than 30 minutes from start to finish. As I was kneading the dough, I was reminded of how good it feels to cover your hands in flour and turn simple ingredients into something special. It’s just enough kneading to get that stress-relieving, borderline therapeutic fix, and since the dough is super forgiving, it’s hard to mess up these pillowy biscuits.
If you’re new to baking or looking for a fun and quick recipe that’s suitable even on a busy weeknight, these vegan sweet potato biscuits are for you! Smother them in vegan butter, jam, or my 5-minute homemade gravy.
If you give these vegan sweet potato biscuits a try (and we hope you do!), we’d love it if you would leave a comment or take a photo and tag it #picklesnhoney on Instagram so we can see!
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk (I used homemade cashew milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups spelt flour (or flour of choice), plus more for kneading the dough
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¾ cup sweet potato purée
- 2 tablespoons melted virgin coconut oil + extra for brushing the biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar to make vegan buttermilk. Allow it to sit and curdle for 3-5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the coconut sugar. In a separate bowl, stir together the sweet potato purée and coconut oil. Stir in the non-dairy milk and vinegar mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the mixing bowl with the flour and add in the sweet potato mixture. Mix until a dough starts to form. Line your counter with a piece of parchment paper dusted with flour, transfer the dough to your counter, and knead it a handful of times, being careful not to over-mix the dough so it doesn't become tough. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle with a little more flour.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a 1-inch thick round. Cut the biscuits using a biscuit cutter or the end of a glass and place each on your baking sheet. Brush the tops of the dough with melted coconut oil and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the biscuits to cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm with a pat of vegan butter, homemade gravy, or jam.