Around the time I started writing Pickles & Honey (about 5.5 years ago…!!), baked donuts were all the rage. I mean, donuts are always popular, but back then I kept seeing them everywhere. Being the minimalist that I am, it took me an absurdly long time to finally commit to buying a $10 pan so I too could enjoy them at home. I made donuts for friends and family, donuts for birthdays and holidays—I basically looked for any excuse to make donuts because they were easy, fun, and always well-received. Somewhere in between our many moves and traveling, my donut pan got relegated to the back of a cabinet behind a cake stand, cupcake tin, and popsicle molds, and while organizing our kitchen the other week, I suddenly felt a strong urge to bring back the baked donut craze of 2011.
The turmeric lemon coconut donuts I’m sharing with you today are my #1 favorite donut recipe, hands down. I used REBBL’s Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir as the liquid, which I love because it’s this perfectly tangy, creamy citrus combination that reminds me of lemon meringue pie meets golden milk. And similar to their other elixirs, the organic coconut milk base in this flavor creates a really stellar crumb. I’m especially smitten with the color of the Turmeric Lemon Tart; it’s the most beautifully cheerful, sunny shade of yellow. I won’t dwell too much on the nutritional benefits since these are donuts after all, but it’s worth noting that this particular elixir packs a powerful anti-inflammatory punch thanks to the turmeric.
If you love cake donuts and you’re looking for a good reason to either buy a donut pan or bring yours out of retirement, I highly recommend making this recipe. It’s simple, the ingredients are relatively wholesome (turmeric, non-dairy yogurt, coconut oil, etc.), and the flavor is simultaneously familiar and new/exciting all at once. There’s soft lemon cake with a subtle earthiness and spice from the turmeric, a sweet 2-ingredient glaze, and lots of shredded coconut. If I ever decide to open a bakery, these babes will for sure be going on the menu.
P.S. You’ll have about 1/2 cup of the Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir left after you make the batter and glaze. Feel free to enjoy it while the donuts are in the oven, or save it for dipping your donut at the end. ♥
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup REBBL Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons REBBL Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, turmeric, and salt.
- Add the Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir, coconut sugar, yogurt, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Stir a few times to just barely incorporate, then pour in the melted coconut oil and stir until combined, being careful not to over-mix. (Adding the coconut oil last will help prevent it from becoming solid and clumping.)
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared donut pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the donuts comes out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the donuts cool, prepare the glaze: In a wide bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir until no lumps remain. Add the shredded coconut to a separate wide bowl. Dip each donut in the glaze, letting any excess drip off, then coat in shredded coconut flakes. Repeat for the remaining donuts and serve.
I use a Wilton donut pan that I bought from Crate & Barrel, but it looks like it's available on Amazon for a little cheaper. This recipe makes 12 small donuts with that pan; however, donut pans can vary a lot in size, so donut yield may vary. You might need to adjust your baking time accordingly.
Recipe lightly adapted from my Pumpkin Spice Donuts.
These donuts are egg-free and dairy-free, but not strictly vegan because REBBL Turmeric Lemon Tart Elixir contains organic honey.