I first talked about fat balls a little while ago (see this recipe for vegan carrot cake fat balls) and you guys were very enthusiastic about them. Maybe it was because I tripped all over my words and had to repeatedly clarify that I was indeed still talking about snack balls, not balls balls (ha!). Or maybe you’re like me and recently realized fat balls are where it’s at when it comes to an afternoon snack or healthier dessert.
For me, no day is ever complete without a little (or a lot of) chocolate, so that’s the direction I went with this latest recipe: intensely dark chocolate fat balls dusted with more cacao powder and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. These have definite brownie vibes happening, and I love that they feel a little fancy (think: good quality chocolate truffles), and yet they’re so simple to make. Just toss some walnuts, coconut, cashews, cacao (or cocoa) powder, and almond butter into your food processor, along with a few medjool dates for sweetness. Pulse a few times to combine, roll into adorable chocolate balls, then store them in your freezer for up to a month.
I really like these straight out of the freezer now that the weather’s warmed up, but you can also defrost a few at a time as needed for a more fudge-like consistency. A couple of minutes at room temperature should do the trick.
- 2 cups raw walnut pieces
- 1¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- heaping ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened creamy almond butter
- 4 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- To the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade, add the walnuts, shredded coconut, cashews, cacao powder, chia seeds, and salt. Pulse until a fine meal forms (similar to an almond flour texture).
- Add the almond butter, dates, coconut oil, and vanilla. Process just until combined. (The dough will be sticky, so you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times.)
- Use a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon to portion the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes, or until firm enough to easily handle, then use your hands to roll them into bite-sized balls. To decorate, dust with cacao powder to coat the outside and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Store in the freezer for up to a month. Enjoy straight out of the freezer, or let soften at room temperature for 2-3 minutes for a more fudge-like consistency.
Recipe lightly adapted from my Vegan Carrot Cake Fat Balls.