Spiced Vegetable & Chickpea Stew
Author: Amanda Maguire
- 1 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 32 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 C. Vegetable Broth
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Chopped
- 10 Button Mushrooms, Sliced (or Baby Bella)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ⅓ C. Pitted Black Olives, sliced
- 1 C. Cooked Chickpeas
- 2 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp. Turmeric
- ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ Cup Roasted Almonds, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the chopped onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the onions, add the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped carrots and mushrooms, and then stir in the lemon juice.
- Next add the vegetable stock and the can of diced tomatoes (including the tomato juice).
- Stir and bring the stew to a boil over high medium-heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and allow to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered, stir in the olives and chickpeas. Cover once again and allow the soup to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the chopped almonds on top and enjoy immediately so they don't lose their crunch.
Recipe by at http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2013/01/15/spiced-vegetable-chickpea-stew/